• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking for those interested in providing feedback for our new software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent

Administrator
Hi everyone,

I am looking for those interested in helping me test and provide feedback with our new forum software. If you are interested in providing constructive feedback, please respond to this thread once and I will start PMing each of you when I am ready. I hope to start sending out PMs by the end of tonight (central time US).

Thanks!

PM sent to you. For everyone else, this is the feedback I will be looking for:

Design. The logo we have now will be moved over but the overall look of the site is what I want to have feedback on.

User interface: How easy is it to post? How hard are things? Just give me a general feel of how you like it and what you don't like.

Media and Blogs: Check out the new media and blog sections and provide feedback.

Any other feedback or questions you have. Feel free to ask me!

I will send you the URL after you post in this thread.

Feel free to post on the test area and upload things. Just remember that you will lose what you post so don't post anything you want to be saved there!

Brent, I used the iPhone app and a PM wasn't sent. Usually I'll be told to empty my storage, but the app doesn't say this. I was unable to find my message even on the actual website. That's about it for now. Angie

Would love to help. Tomorrow night I have some available time. May the Force be with us! ;)

Hi everyone,

I am looking for those interested in helping me test and provide feedback with our new forum software. If you are interested in providing constructive feedback, please respond to this thread once and I will start PMing each of you when I am ready. I hope to start sending out PMs by the end of tonight (central time US).

Thanks!

Brent, I used the iPhone app and a PM wasn't sent. Usually I'll be told to empty my storage, but the app doesn't say this. I was unable to find my message even on the actual website. That's about it for now. Angie

Ok. I used the app and it did say I needed to delete before sending a PM. So forget what I had said before.

PMs sent to those that requested to help. Note that your likes will be imported when we do the live import. They did not get imported on the test site.

Judge gave me great feedback and agreed to let me share it here. Hope to see others interested in testing out the new software and letting me hear your feedback!

judge said:
Overall design: Impressive in that it appears to incorporate virtually every feature of the other site. Text and background colors are pleasant, and contrast appears to be optimal.

User Interface: Most immediate and positive observation is that the text sizes have all been scaled upwards
making it a more reader-friendly site for those of us who are visually impaired. That's huge for me. Otherwise
I can't see any really negative navigation issues.

One question about the layout of the default page. Can this layout be emulated globally on all other pages? Just wondering. I like the right-hand margin features like "members online now", "forum statistics", Gallery Statistics", "Share This Page", and so on. Not simply over their functionality, but that they scale back the screen real real estate relavent to page width. That it's inherently better design not to have people having to read a thread that spans across a widescreen. Much more user-friendly. Just a thought, anyways providing it's even possible.

While the layout is different, I find it more intuitive. Especially with the dropdown menus that consolidate more infomation (such as the user-member, inbox and alerts menus.) Nice touch with dialogue boxes showing up with mouseovers on thread titles. Easy, faster navigation. Posting in basic threads seemed easy enough, as well as all the text formatting afforded each user.

Shoutbox Function: Overall very good, again noting upscaled text. Formatting choices look good, function well,
although there doesn't appear to be a way to alter the font sizes inside the shout box. Could be a drawback for
some users. I especially like the option of the shoutbox as a separate popup as opposed to occupying the top
portion of the default forums page. Personally I find this more functional, but opinions may vary.

Media & Blogs: Of all the features and functions, the media page was the one that probably took me the most time to understand. I'm just not willing to categorically say there's any fault in the layout or design...maybe I'm just slow on the uptake. However I ultimately figured it out...put up an album and successfully uploaded a graphic with a caption.

The blogging function seemed easier. Text formatting options all appeared to work fine. Not sure about importing graphic attachments or syntax issue pertinent to markup language as King_Oni noted in the shoutbox. (Blade Runner's Christmas photos showed links to photos, but weren't functional.)

I'm assuming for security purposes that this forum software automatically filters out non-authorized domains pertinent to embedded source code like .swf files. It appears that way. I'd just hate to see anyone be able to embed such code from a domain no one knows anything about.

I have to say I'm very impressed to see a forum of this size migrated to a new format with no real loss of functionality. We may be Aspies and somewhat resistant to change, but I think most members are going to like this new forum.

Well done, Brent.

I second Judges comments, from what I could see I could not comment as enough information for me.

It will be user friendly

Easy to use, simple, short learning curve, graphics are pleasing to the eyes, after a few clicks forums and threads are easy to find. Plenty of white space makes it easy to concentrate. Users might first balk at a forum change but I'm confident most will quickly get the feel of it and feel satisfied.

Under Forums, on the left side underneath the blue headers like "Announcements & Introductions" are vertical letters scrolling down to the next Blue Header "The Autism Spectrum" etc...can you make those vertical letters more legible? I know, it's a minor thingie...

I'll be testing it more tomorrow-how long do we have to test it?

Last edited:
Can you make the font bigger when we are composing a reply and when we are editing it?
Under Conversations with other members [PMs?] can you add a deletion option?

Last edited:
Easy to use, simple, short learning curve, graphics are pleasing to the eyes, after a few clicks forums and threads are easy to find. Plenty of white space makes it easy to concentrate. Users might first balk at a forum change but I'm confident most will quickly get the feel of it and feel satisfied.

Under Forums, on the left side underneath the blue headers like "Announcements & Introductions" are vertical letters scrolling down to the next Blue Header "The Autism Spectrum" etc...can you make those vertical letters more legible? I know, it's a minor thingie...

I'll be testing it more tomorrow-how long do we have to test it?

It will be up for a few more days

I would be interested in helping out, but only if the request which I've sent you a message about is granted.

With the alert, when it shows a preview would it be possible to make the thread link more of a contrast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom