• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Looking for free or low cost online education options.

Metalhead

Video game and movie addict.
V.I.P Member
I basically want to feed my brain, not for a degree or anything, but to give it something to make my spirit feel like I am not letting my mind stagnate.

I am interested in cinema and film history, primarily.

Although any other topic that would stimulate my brain will probably work.

I am looking for ideas to educate myself that will not take loads of cash and will not risk my SSDI payments in the meanwhile.

I loved the pop culture and art classes I took for my humanities requirement in college. Fun! :cool:

Just some of the many MOOCs available, many for free if you don't need a credential and are just taking them for personal interest / development.

There is more film history content on YouTube than you could watch in a lifetime. Binge content on Hitchcock and your feed will fill with relevant videos. This or this is a good start. Hitchcock is especially important for cinema history because he was so proper and well spoken in his many interviews - he brought process and technique into the public view like no one had before. He is overrated; his impact is not.

Books.

If you get into it, then perhaps join a book group or forum. Where you can read books and discuss them etc.

Ed

Have you looked at Udemy.com for a list of classes? They're not free but they're inexpensive and have countless topics to choose from. I've used them with success.

There's no shortage of free courses online nowadays, lectures on youtube (usually from universities themselves), and so on.

Khan academy and Coursera come to mind. Also, most Udemy courses go on sale for like $10 and have a significantly high volume of free ones if you check those out on purpose.

Don't forget about Itch.io, either. Lots of people have cool learning material on there, too, for very cheap!

Last edited:
I love film nor class l had. So much fun dissecting the plot, the characters, the direction, the filming.

I basically want to feed my brain, not for a degree or anything, but to give it something to make my spirit feel like I am not letting my mind stagnate.

I am interested in cinema and film history, primarily.

Although any other topic that would stimulate my brain will probably work.

I am looking for ideas to educate myself that will not take loads of cash and will not risk my SSDI payments in the meanwhile.
Do you want credentials/certification or just the knowledge? The latter is easy; Curiosity Stream, Nebula, SkillShare, Brilliant, etc. The former usually costs money.

New Threads

Top Bottom