• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Longer ring finger a sign of autism?

Which is the longer finger?

• Index

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • ring

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters

Spiller

Just.. WEIRD!
Last edited:
Hmmm... Interesting. My ring finger is longer than my index finger on both hands.

Mine are of equal length on my left hand and my ring finger on my right hand is about 2 to 3 millimeter larger than my index finger :oops: First time I noticed that only my right ring finger is a little longer, I always thought they were the same length.

On both my hands, my ring fingers are longer than my index fingers. However my left index finger is longer than the finger on my right hand..

Okay. This is just another spin on autism being the extreme male brain. The difference in the length of the ring finger is linked to testosterone.
BBC - Science & Nature - Sex ID - Testosterone

Also transgendered MtF and FtM also show that the length of their ring fingers are closely related to the opposite sex. I don't think that theory is sound when used as an autism detector. My ring and index are the same length, and I doubt anyone who ever meant me would say I have an extreme male brain.

Haha! Yes longer ring, on right hand, equal on left. Disclaimer, my hands have suffered some severe damage over the years.
NTs have this too...

There is something about Morton's toe, I have that too, bit I don't know if autism related.

Anyone else have Buccaneers grip? Where your fingers don't lay flat,
But have arches at first joint?

Last edited:
image.jpg

Eh, I'm an artist. It means something different for us when we study finger lengths. If you have a long ring finger, you're likely a normal male. If your ring and index fingers are level, then you are female or naturally have had a lot of estrogen in your system as you matured. My two are about level with each other both hands, so I suppose I am a normal female.

Eh, I'm an artist. It means something different for us when we study finger lengths. If you have a long ring finger, you're likely a normal male. If your ring and index fingers are level, then you are female or naturally have had a lot of estrogen in your system as you matured. My two are about level with each other both hands, so I suppose I am a normal female.
Then what explains me having beard growth? :p

Ok so if I'm reading this right, the ring finger is the one next to your little finger? My index finger on both hands is longer than my ring finger.

Yes, Ring finger longer, but only longer on one hand! (maybe equal on the other hand?) I can also do this thing with my finger(s) (can't upload pics??! aw...) I heard it was double jointed!

Then, To make me all kinds of special, my eye has multi colors in it (like a Siberian Husky). I was told that the most likely conclusion was Chimerism. That is something with double sets of DNA, like, my body absorbed the defective twin DNA. I like to ponder that would be the scientific reason for me, personally, to be bisexual. (born Catholic Christian) Also, my offspring could have "my" DNA or my Sister/brother DNA. Just like on soap operas, my potential children could register different DNA from the mother.

I also heard that chimerism is far more common that ordinary people realize. (Darn, I'm not so unique?) The Doctors would rather not tell the mom that one of the twins was not viable for life. I read that most Left handed and ambidextrous folks could* possibly be an example of chimerism. I'm not perfect. I am exactly a scientist, but this is what I heard. Maybe someone can add further more reliable information to what I suspect might be true.

Chimera (genetics) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PS. Not sure I qualify as Aspie. I feel I should continue adding that disclaimer. I think, I might, just rather NOT know, actually. I feel that family and I share aspects of this. THat part is what I know that in my heart to be true. I know that I make mistakes when judging other people's intentions. I like to project my happy kind benevolent charity community love actions to the universe that reciprocates. (Did that make sense? I day dream, I ramble, much, sorry, loves.) pretty sure there would be other diagnosis included on me..... OCD was one...... How much does it impede or enhance my life? I don't know. etc etc etc. sorry I'll edit this last part out.

Last edited:
Okay. This is just another spin on autism being the extreme male brain. The difference in the length of the ring finger is linked to testosterone.

Yeah, I've seen this research and personally don't agree.
Tests to determine how male/female your brain is:
Male Or Female Brain? FREE Personality Test
My result.. and last time I looked I'm still a guy:
A Totally Female Brain
You most definitely have what scientists describe as a female brain: you are empathetic, sociable and detail oriented. You like to work with others and believe in collaboration not confrontation. You relish your pleasures, but they are mainly quiet ones, and you don't believe in aggression.

This one's based on Barron-Cohens research:
Is your brain male or female? :: Take a health quiz :: allaboutyou.com
My result..
Balanced brain...
If you clicked a similar number of As and Bs, you have a balanced brain.

There was a quite comprehensive test, or rather two tests in one, measuring male then female traits, I did a few years ago and I can't find it at the mo.. basically, men have an 83% male brain on average and my results were 50% male and 50% female, as above.
I see, at least in myself, no evidence to support the extreme male brain hypothesis. :p

most Left handed and ambidextrous folks could* possibly be an example of chimerism.

Interesting article, as I'm a leftie too..

PS. Not sure I qualify as Aspie. I feel I should continue adding that disclaimer.

One of the primary reasons I'm pushing for an official diagnosis of AS - I always "Add that disclaimer" in conversation too :D I'd give anything to know, ya know?.. You know! The uncertainty is exhausting!

Interesting article, as I'm a leftie too..

One of the primary reasons I'm pushing for an official diagnosis of AS - I always "Add that disclaimer" in conversation too :D I'd give anything to know, ya know?.. You know! The uncertainty is exhausting!

There could be a level of failure with the tests..... (?) in my opinion?

well.... I saw this thread about "our lack of empathy" and a video....with ...ah faces..... I was looking at the 4 options to choose the emotion..... considering them. I thought ALL of the 4 answers were ALL true! Consciously, I chose the "interested" feeling for the face because I like to think that people are not evil. Then, I was SURPRISED to find out that, that there was a "Correct" answer, and that I had guessed "correctly"!! Eek! If I can guess correctly a whole bunch, then, according to that particular test, does that mean I am not to receive official diagnosis of Aspergers? well, Sometimes, it could be said that there is an observation of me, where there was or is lack of eye contact, OCD, anxiety, social anxiety, general anxiety, ADHD, lists, Post tramautic stress? locations or specific person could make the condition worse? I'm just mumble jumble....... issues, huh? well, at least I'm happy most of the time!

This entire post might be entirely off topic, so please feel free to moderate and delete the entire thing! I'm so new here! I don't know what I'm doing! Love you all.... I am Not too much stoic,. not sure how much logic...

I could not compete with the high school tennis team because they made a "ladder" of who was winner (top) and loser (bottom). I was afraid to win against anyone because then, they would be the ultimate loser. I was the bottom name on the ladder. I know what Failure and ultimate loser feels like. I did not want any other person to experience that bad feeling. Perhaps, I would feel too much for the other person. (Empathy) I would always lose, not even trying to win, maybe even on purpose. I was much better at Swimming, where I could compete against my own best fast time. See. Not sure How Aspie I am......

However, I am very capable of being stoic. My army vet father would yell at us as children. My sister told me it was because he sadistically enjoyed watching us cry. I learned to stop all tears. To this day, I very rarely tear up. Older eyes are dry now though too. So, it's difficult to say what is the cause. I am not a Doctor. Although I did read Temple Grandin's book about naturally occurring opiates in the brain. If I focus, I can probably try ? to cry? maybe? Or if I relax? maybe???? not sure??? I never really test that theory. I am mostly happy person. And I can't really lie. I do lack some theory of mind, my therapist informs me.

Last edited:
Where the 2nd metatarsal is longer than the 1st:
Left-Handedness, Baldness, Morton's Toe, Neanderthal DNA, and Human Cognitive Diversity | Autism and Human Atavism
..could be; that Neanderthal link coming up in relation to autism again, hmm.. how are your brow ridges?
heh. heh not sure about the brow, but the one toe of the foot is longish or equal...... but only one foot, of course. maybe? I have nice cheekbones? maybe some Native American rumors in my family tree. Is that closer connected to to Neanderthal? I have the teeth of Native American.

"
peculiarities of hair" That's kinda personal, but , er, ah, yeah,.... blushes....

Hmm, that's piqued my interest.. mines unruly, like my avatar; I've been told to keep it short now, but never cut it before.. tried dreads too, but too much looking after and that's why it's short now :cool:
I LOVE the dreads! bring them back! I want to see pics!

Well, my hair, it's really not so charming attractive as curious. There are very dark thick strong hairs that are not fine, delicate like the baby hair on my head. It grows randomly on my shoulder, one on my face (cheek or chin???), ah, "other places" by the number of ten, when I pluck them. They grow back "sometimes". I think it is related to hormone level (that changes every month)? I'm actually pretty attractive though, eek, my self esteem......

My angry father is too tall and thin. I'm very tall with the glasses too. The man I know that suffers with the Borderline Personality (has cousin Dx with Autism) Red hair in family, does not have glasses, short, barrel chested, and balding. I never checked his hands or toes. I'll have to pull off his shoes when I see him next time! ha ha!

There is not red highlights under my own hair, but immediate family now does have red highlights, Hand flapping, truly extra hair all over the legs,

Yeahppers, Give people a list of anything, people tick off the traits, like a hypochondriac,...heh... heh...

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom