• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Logic or Intuition?

Do you personally prefer logic or intuition while making decisions?

• Thinking

• Intuition

• Depends on the decisions

Results are only viewable after voting.
I said Thinking, but I don't think thinking means the same as logic. Thinking processes can be emotional, can be well-informed or less so, can be affected by anxiety or depression or lack of confidence, etc. Plus I would say both areas are relevant often. As has been said, experience in an area may lead to us being able to be more intuitive in that area.

Just wondering, while making big and small decisions on a day to day basis, do you prefer thinking or intuition?

Personally I like to think about the cause & effect of everything before deciding on what to do, but I've seen way too much people around me repeatedly making decisions based solely on their gut feelings. Most of these occasions did not end well for them.

Intuition is generally thought of in contrast to Sensing, while Thinking (Logic) is viewed in contrast to Feeling. That is how the Myers-Briggs personality type indicator instrument views this topic. Some people rely on feeling more than thinking, or vice versa. Likewise some prefer intuition to sensing. Everyone is uniquely programmed; in my case my Myers-Briggs type in INTJ (introvertred-intuitive-thinking-judging). One would not use Logic to the exclusion of intuition or sensing; therefore I am having difficulty understanding this question and am unable to respond to the poll question. I’m not being difficult, just trying to explain how I view this question.

I have studied math. I can assure you that logic is definitely secondary for me. It is like random hard to describe things start rip into pieces and come to together in my head. That is not logic. I know people who are far more logical than me. I can also speak very figuratively.

The decisions I have done in my life has definitely followed hunches and interests not the bottom lines which I tend to doubt a lot. I have just done things without considering absolute truth to the absolute end. I like to play with logic.

Last edited:
@Rasputin I'm also a INTJ.
Perhaps we'll face each other in our plans of world conquest :)
@Lycoris the INTJ personality doesn't so much go on gut feelings as we subconsciously notice patterns and use them in our day to day interactions.
And we use logical judgement as a backup.
When we think about our impulsive reactions to our experiences we can usually deconstruct the pattern.
Often realizing things we didn't know we knew.

For example for the last week I've been learning a new to me CNC machine. While running one of the programs several pieces that should have been cut away broke away instead resulting in imperfections in the finished product.
Once I saw it I knew it could be prevented by reversing the order of operations in the program.
The programmer claimed my bit was dull. So we checked it against a brand new one.
Go figure the programmer didn't know what he was talking about and after reversing the program it worked perfectly.

I used to believe in intuition but now suspect I'm using a faster process of elimination on solving problems or arriving at a conclusion.

The more practise I have, the quicker I get.

@Rasputin I'm also a INTJ.
Perhaps we'll face each other in our plans of world conquest :)
@Lycoris the INTJ personality doesn't so much go on gut feelings as we subconsciously notice patterns and use them in our day to day interactions.
And we use logical judgement as a backup.
When we think about our impulsive reactions to our experiences we can usually deconstruct the pattern.
Often realizing things we didn't know we knew.

Xerces Blue, nice to meet you. I hope I can remember your name. There are several subtypes on INTJ, with mine (5w6) being the most introverted. Do you know what subtype you are?

For example for the last week I've been learning a new to me CNC machine. While running one of the programs several pieces that should have been cut away broke away instead resulting in imperfections in the finished product.
Once I saw it I knew it could be prevented by reversing the order of operations in the program.
The programmer claimed my bit was dull. So we checked it against a brand new one.
Go figure the programmer didn't know what he was talking about and after reversing the program it worked perfectly.

Great example!

@Rasputin I didn't know there where formal subtypes.
If you can provide a link to the information I would love to look it over and get back to you.

@Gracey The mind drops information that it deems unimportant - "Intuition" is knowledge that the mind has dropped several steps between input and conclusion.

I've learned a lot of things by building a decision tree in my head. Every time I learn something new, the decision tree gets updated. After years of practice, I can do it fast enough that it seems like intuition, even though in reality I'm doing the aspie thing of details, details, details.

I cannot use one without the other. As an INTJ, intuition is my dominant function, and one of my strongest assets. As far as I understand, intuition is a kind of logic; intuition is not to be ignored, because it is based on tangible details of the external environment, whether a person is immediately and/or consciously aware of it or not. Once my intuition locks into my conscious understanding (as I listen to what it is trying to tell me), I will then put it into logical terms. The cycle of information processing has been complete, and I have what I need to make a decision. I need them both (logic and intuition), they go hand in hand for me, and I don't necessarily see them as being opposites.

I believe that well-functioning intuition generally goes undervalued and underappreciated. In my personal experience, ignoring, or even dismissing my own intuitions as irrelevant, more often than not, has led to negative outcomes and consequences - the very same ones my intuition had warned me of, because a powerful intuition has a remarkably sound basis, regardless of whether or not it is readily translated or put into words. I often find that after reflecting on my intuitions, I actually can put them into logical terms; they do not function contrary to one another. They work together. Then again, this is speaking of healthy intuition that observes and percieves reality at objective value. It is when one's intuitions are, whether consciously or unconsciously, twisted and altered - within the mind of the user - with personal bias, unrealistic expectations and ideals, baseless opinions, and/or false information that intuition seems to be most fallible, inaccurate, and unreliable, which, in turn, no doubt, can lead to making illogical decisions.

Last edited:
Pondering, I am also an INTJ and agree with everything you wrote. I wonder how many INTJs are represented in this group?

A fair percentage would be my guess.

Somewhere I read about a theory in which very strong introversion in the INTJ or INFJ is associated with characteristics of Aspergenrs / HFA. I don’t think the theory is widely accepted, but I have seen where some research has been conducted. I personally think genetics, nutrition, and environment influences both personality and HFA. In my case I used one of my “high interests”, epigenetics, to reverse four chronic illnesses by following a specific diet with daily vitamin and natural amino acid supplements.

Three if my problem genes are associated with autism, ADHD, cognitive issues and chronic illnesses such as diabetes, hypothyroidism, psoriasis, and polyneuropathy, among other things.

I always need time to think through things a lot, my intuition, particularly in social situations has proved so badly wrong that I don't trust it any more.

New Threads

Top Bottom