• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Lightning strike...So random but maybe interesting?

Chance

"all who wander are not lost" - Tolkien
V.I.P Member
I have been looking on line today at Fulgurites also known as Sea Glass. This is when the lightning hits the ground and fuses the soil and makes a formation...

The randomness of this is because in the severe storms we had for the last few nights #5 golf green took a major direct lighting hit. I am wondering if I should take the time to see if it formed a fulgurite under the green. I don't want to tear it up real bad, but so curious to see if there is one under there.

Here is one of a million examples of what a fulgurite can look like.
Screen Shot 2017-09-20 at 6.29.54 PM.png

Here is a picture of what it did to the surface of the #5 green at work. I'm just not sure if I want to dig into the green to find nothing, or maybe something...
IMG_0240.JPG

IMG_0235.JPG

Anyone ever collected any Sea Glass? Gosh I am out in random Ville today?

I have been looking on line today at Fulgurites also known as Sea Glass. This is when the lightning hits the ground and fuses the soil and makes a formation...

The randomness of this is because in the sever storms we had for the last few nights #5 golf green took a major direct lighting hit. I am wondering if I should take the time to see if it formed a fulgurite under the green. I don't want to tear it up real bad, but so curious to see if there is one under there.

View attachment 38312

Here is a picture of what it did to the surface of the #5 green at work. I'm just not sure if I want to dig into the green to find nothing, or maybe something...
View attachment 38313
View attachment 38314

No never collected it saw it in a movie once,if The surface of The golf course is unstable do something, if not leave it alone.

No I don't. But you gotta dig it. Do it carefully and pat it all back into place and done.

I wanted to make a band years ago, called 'invisible leaders'. Those things make the first spark and is the reason why lightning strikes from the ground up... you may want to fact check it. But I read that somewhere.

Dig dig dig...

How for down would you have to dig in order to check?

Are they usually just under the surface or buried deep?

If it's a surface thing I'm not sure what the difference would be between your investigation and the force of a drive landing on the green or a high chip.

You maintain the ground on the course right? You know how to level it again after you've finished?

In my opinion the ground needs to be sorted after that direct lightening hit anyway ;)
(That ground is going to ruin someone's putt)

The randomness of this is because in the severe storms we had for the last few nights #5 golf green took a major direct lighting hit. I am wondering if I should take the time to see if it formed a fulgurite under the green. I don't want to tear it up real bad, but so curious to see if there is one under there.

View attachment 38312

View attachment 38313
View attachment 38314

I erroneously only thought it happened when it hit the sand !

If it's a surface thing I'm not sure what the difference would be between your investigation and the force of a drive landing on the green or a high chip.

You maintain the ground on the course right? You know how to level it again after you've finished?

In my opinion the ground needs to be sorted after that direct lightening hit anyway ;)
No never collected it saw it in a movie once,if The surface of The golf course is unstable do something, if not leave it alone.

The guy in "Sweet Home Alabama" was doing that. He was doing real Sea Glass which would be cool to hunt for. : )

Yes I take care of the course. I think I'm going to water it really good, and slice open right where the strike was and see if there is anything there. We are closed on Monday's so I think I might go do something crazy then... : )

Thats why I am so curious... The greens are sand based and sitting on a river basin...
If you're waiting for sea glass ,you'll wait 30 to 40 years,it's derived from shards of glass which have been worn down,beach glass comes from fresh water and is more frosted in appearance,according to Wikipedia

Keep us posted!!!!!

Thats why I am so curious... The greens are sand based and sitting on a river basin...
Go for it man.
They are usually just under the surface and if there is sand and water, you might just get lucky.
Two big pines were hit at the the same time behind our house last year and dug a huge hole into the earth around them. That's on the edge of a sandy golf course our back yard is a part of. I thought for sure I would find a fulgerite. I dug and dug but didn't. Being a rock collector I can't resist something like this.
However I do have one that hit near Tampa Bay edge where I used to live. It isn't a spectacular tubular one like I want, but, it melted the sand around the holes that were left in it from the lightening.

I need to get busy and take some photos of my collections. I've even found meteorites of a good size and just acquired a large piece of blue malachite I found at an abandoned lot. Sorry, got me going on my rock obsession. :D This is the hole at the base of the tree that was hit where I thought I would find one.
012.JPG

Go for it man.
They are usually just under the surface and if there is sand and water, you might just get lucky.
Two big pines were hit at the the same time behind our house last year and dug a huge hole into the earth around them. That's on the edge of a sandy golf course our back yard is a part of. I thought for sure I would find a fulgerite. I dug and dug but didn't. Being a rock collector I can't resist something like this.
However I do have one that hit near Tampa Bay edge where I used to live. It isn't a spectacular tubular one like I want, but, it melted the sand around the holes that were left in it from the lightening.

I need to get busy and take some photos of my collections. I've even found meteorites of a good size and just acquired a large piece of blue malachite I found at an abandoned lot. Sorry, got me going on my rock obsession. :D This is the hole at the base of the tree that was hit where I thought I would find one.
View attachment 38321
Maybe you have to be closer to freshwater,the Wikipedia page side for beach glass -freshwater.

Go for it man.

View attachment 38321

I like odd rocks and stuff also. I have one meteorite, some petrified wood, some arrow heads I have found while working. Next time I go up into the falls area, I will get a picture of what we call the "grinding stones"
Indians ground holes in the sand stone. It looks like bowls in this giant rock. I have one rose rock that I cant find... grr. They form from the river sand sediment here and look like a rose, but they are very fragile. If I find it I will get a pic of it. They look like orangeish pinkish crystal roses. Where I live there are these massive weird rock formations that just jut up crooked out of the ground... I always wonder what took place to make the landscape look twisted as it does.

Maybe you have to be closer to freshwater,the Wikipedia page side for beach glass -freshwater.

I'm betting your right. I am close to water... The river is only about 200 ft to the west of that green, but hoping to find one, but I'm not really expecting much. I'm gonna dig around a little next Monday while we are closed and see if anything is there.

Still have too much storm damage to clean up right now. The weather guys are saying, we had a major down burst... but at the pool it up rooted trees and tore up quite a bit of stuff in a line all through the property. Nothing horrible, butit made a mess.

Heres a pic of the storm as it was approaching. It looked like an ocean wave in the sky. We have some of the craziest storms here...

IMG_0222.JPG

I'm betting your right. I am close to water... The river is only about 200 ft to the west of that green, but hoping to find one, but I'm not really expecting much. I'm gonna dig around a little next Monday while we are closed and see if anything is there.

Still have too much storm damage to clean up right now. The weather guys are saying, we had a major down burst... but at the pool it up rooted trees and tore up quite a bit of stuff in a line all through the property. Nothing horrible, butit made a mess.

Heres a pic of the storm as it was approaching. It looked like an ocean wave in the sky. We have some of the craziest storms here...

View attachment 38323
From what I've seen on Wikipedia what you'll dig up is something that looks like a clump of earth,if it had struck the sand it would look like glass

Haven't been home much today, but, lets get some photos of our finds. I have arrow heads and indian scrapers I've found. The sandier the ground the more the fulgerite looks like glass. Keep us informed.
Never heard of the rose rocks. Sounds pretty. And the odd rock shapes in your area. Fascinating.

I didn't forget about the lightening and looking for a fulgerite.
I have a photo of the one I found by the bay in a mix of sand and mud.
It is not a beautiful expanse of funnels, but, rather a clump of the area the lightening hit with pretty crystal tunnels inside the clump.
Here is how it formed:

RocksComo 014.JPG

It is not a beautiful expanse of funnels, but, rather a clump of the area the lightening hit with pretty crystal tunnels inside the clump.
Here is how it formed:

View attachment 39203
Amazing it's like marble in places

Here is how it formed:

View attachment 39203

wow... thats cool..

We have been so stupidly busy that I haven't ever had a chance to slice back the green and see if anything is there. Its actually sad to have been forced to live so fast and not have the time to just explore and enjoy things like I used too... BUT that is changing fast. I will hopefully get to go out and dig around and see if anything is there... I wish it wasn't right out in the green, I will have to be careful and put everything back exactly as it was... Dare I mess up someones putt... geez.

New Threads

Top Bottom