• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Life through rose tinted glasses.

SASTrooper

Life through rose tinted glasses

Life is something that, for the most part, is filled with wonder and amazement, and some hardship depending on what you’re exposed to in life. This defines your outcome even before you are born, and in some cases that makes thing easy, some not so easy, as we all have the right to life and yet there are some that wish to take it away and some want to make it.

Something that should be open to all is harder than doing taxes, or learning to drive a car. Why are there more of us to feed and cloth and yet so little resources, and yet when one is in a point in their life that they can change it, that their fight with mountain higher than it was last time they saw it, someone else moves the goal posts. It wasn’t your fault; it was life, right? Wrong. Looking back, humans have a history of mistreating one another - take the examples of slavery and two world wars. This shows hate on two ends of a spectrum: slavery used money and colour to show that. If you have money, others will do admire you and treat you better. That seen is in today's world, hence the working class.

Take what the world has been through and look in the mirror, something that you see every day... You, yourself as you stand - you're human and able to do anything you can imagine. Yet when trying to do such things, one sees that the world makes it harder than one thought. Take for instance films and TV; they're meant to be an insight into the world - for example, reality TV, but even then that is a lie. As if reality is full of good-looking, wealthy people who can boast of having everything others want, but are denied.

Now, let's say if one were to try to do the honest thing and become like this. Some have and yet they lost themselves by trying to make themselves into something that they're not. Remember the mirror; you look different now that you change something, even when some say that personality is worth more than looks. The media says this, and so people's underlying morals, so why does the world goes out of its way to put people down when they can't live up to these standards?

Something that, in some of us, we're hard pressed to do, as with Asperger’s we don’t like change or big change, and yet to me, if my mind and heart are set on something, I seek it out regardless of the risk, as most people that have no disability find this easy.

Why not take on life? If one doesn't know unless they try?

A very heartfelt commentary.

It was a similar, “why not?” attitude, in part, that allowed me to take a simple special interest and make it into a healthy television career. It took years, and there were many obstacles. Many people discouraged me in subtle and overt ways. Yet, I persevered.

Now, as to how and why I was able to do so. Positive outlook was surely a help, but it’s down to the other part of the formula that I got where I am now. I would characterise that as my ability to see myself clearly and set a series of achievable goals, with realistic expectations and a lorry-load of awareness.

The first illusion I rejected was that others find achieving their goals easier than I would, which is something you touched on in your essay regarding persons without any disability. Not that my own quest should therefore be any easier, but I should see that theirs are harder, and more fraught with disappointments than I imagine. You have no way of knowing when you see someone excel at something just how difficult it was to reach that level of command. Underestimate that at your peril, as it has consequences for your own efforts.

The second misconception that had to go was that I could do anything. I see that as a false conviction, and dangerous. Had I set out with that mindset, I would have learned little from my failures, for the blame I would have placed on external factors. Each of us do have limitations. It’s healthy to recognise them, and key to success. Some wants are only fantasies and a foolish waste of energy.

One of my directors always wanted to be in front of the camera. But she didn’t have the chops to act well, nor could she deliver fluid, spontaneous commentary on the fly. She saw this...to her credit, in very short order. So she reviewed her inventory of natural abilities and recalibrated her aspirations. She’s the best damn director I’ve had. It wasn’t the dream she started with, but it’s the reality she could attain, and she’s very much fulfilled by it. Had she been too determined to be an actress or presenter, she’d likely be waiting tables right now. There is an analogy here for romantic relationships and other desires as well.

So go bravely forward into life, but not irrationally. Don’t follow your heart unless your head is right beside it. Let go of fantasies in favor of achievable realities, and build on those as far as you can. You may get further than you ever dreamed, as I did, but no matter what poetry you’ve heard, it won’t just be for having the attitude that you can.

In sum: Take off the rose-coloured glasses. What you need is a magnifying mirror, then some reliable binoculars, a compass, and a map.

Merely cautioning you against letting it drift there. A bit of advice from someone who has learned through experience.

New Threads

Top Bottom