• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Life at -32 Celsius

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
Some of those photos from my cold weather walk today, managed a combined 45 minutes before I got too cold and finally headed home... Of course I dressed very warm... I'm not sure, but this might have been the coldest I've ever photographed in, I do love the beauty of winter even when it's harsh...
Cold Snap 01.jpg
Cold Snap 02.jpg
Cold Snap 03.jpg
Cold Snap 04.jpg
Cold Snap 05.jpg
Cold Snap 06.jpg

That's awesome. If you survived thawing yourself, let me know how you did it, and I will freeze myself until the Vulcans discover earth and begin the evacuations.

Some of those photos from my cold weather walk today, managed a combined 45 minutes before I got too cold and finally headed home... Of course I dressed very warm... I'm not sure, but this might have been the coldest I've ever photographed in, I do love the beauty of winter even when it's harsh...View attachment 124347View attachment 124348View attachment 124349View attachment 124350View attachment 124351View attachment 124352
The starkness at those temperatures results in breathtaking beauty. Not to mention taking a deep breath at those temperatures will take your breath away. I spent several winters up near Athabasca (only more remote), temperatures down to -45C at times. I found the barrenness there actually made me feel more alive. Ice shattering, wolves howling, trees exploding, nothing quite like it. If you are properly equipped, it can be rather pleasant.

I found the barrenness there actually made me feel more alive.
At the other end of the spectrum I found the same in our deserts, where you try not to move much during the day not just to keep cool but because you can't afford the loss of water. You even learn to keep your mouth shut to stop it from drying out. Stark but truly beautiful as long as you have enough water.

Looks like the Midwest. I'm hunkered down at home. Poor pups can't walk more than 3 blocks.

The starkness at those temperatures results in breathtaking beauty. Not to mention taking a deep breath at those temperatures will take your breath away. I spent several winters up near Athabasca (only more remote), temperatures down to -45C at times. I found the barrenness there actually made me feel more alive. Ice shattering, wolves howling, trees exploding, nothing quite like it. If you are properly equipped, it can be rather pleasant.

Athabasca the town or Lake Athabasca? One is a wee bit further north and much colder :cool:

Even here in the big city there is just something about a walk through the park and pretty much silence, because hardly anyone else will go out, peaceful

At the other end of the spectrum I found the same in our deserts, where you try not to move much during the day not just to keep cool but because you can't afford the loss of water. You even learn to keep your mouth shut to stop it from drying out. Stark but truly beautiful as long as you have enough water.

I'm sure, both ends of the extreme weather... I struggle a lot more with extreme heat than extreme cold...

Last edited:
I used to have a farm in upstate New York and winter temps of -30F (34C) were not uncommon in winter. We still went out to milk the cows, feed the sheep, etc. twice daily. Daytime highs would stay under 0F (-17C).

But, back to the photos. They are beautiful. I especially like the one from a small hill looking out over the bend in the river.

I used to have a farm in upstate New York and winter temps of -30F (34C) were not uncommon in winter. We still went out to milk the cows, feed the sheep, etc. twice daily. Daytime highs would stay under 0F (-17C).

But, back to the photos. They are beautiful. I especially like the one from a small hill looking out over the bend in the river.

It is part of life here, and I try to embrace it as much as possible... I just get cabin fever very easy, I'll be out today for awhile at -26, just to get out of the house for a couple hours, probably downtown today...

Athabasca the town or Lake Athabasca? One is a wee bit further north and much colder :cool:

Even here in the big city there is just something about a walk through the park and pretty much silence, because hardly anyone else will go out, peaceful
Not far from Lake Athabasca, near Wollaston Lake. I use Lake Athabasca because that is the only place in the region anybody has ever heard of.

Yes, I have been so remote in Australia you have to go toward the outback to get closer to civilization. Yes, the starkness barrenness, and being so close to death make you feel more alive. Really appreciated the existence of the Flying Doctor Service. I have worked from -45C to +50C. I suppose not many people can say that.

Not far from Lake Athabasca, near Wollaston Lake. I use Lake Athabasca because that is the only place in the region anybody has ever heard of.

A friend of mine was a teacher in Fort Chipewyan for two years, many moons ago

New Threads

Top Bottom