• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Let’s make an effort to cut back on screen time!

Honestly I think part of the problem is a couple of things, for those of us that tend to not get much out of TV and movies.

Firstly, too many things that are... braindead. Reality shows, for instance. Or things that are, how do I say... "mass produced for max profit?" Marvel movies, for instance, with their ultra-predictable storylines and extreme focus on spectacle (while not even always actually staying true to the source material, no less). That doesnt mean there's nothing good, but...

It's kinda like how AAA VS indie gaming is to me: The AAAs side of things is often busted and predatory, with genuinely good stuff being the very rare exception to the rule, but you hear about the problematic stuff the most because they come screaming at you and get in your face. The indie side isnt infected by corporate, but that also means they are harder to get at. For someone who is definitely tired of the AAA side, but doesnt know where to go for the indie stuff (or doesnt even know that stuff exists!), well... honestly that's kinda how TV and movies are for me. The derpy stuff is in my face. I have no idea if anything good is behind them because I cant see past those. I wouldnt even know what to look for anymore.

Also the extreme amount of ads and such REALLY doesnt help, nor does the chopping up of... everything. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it used to be that you just paid for cable and you got, well, cable. Lots of channels, one payment monthly. Now every stupid corporation wants you to pay them, and you only get their stuff for that payment, so if you want other stuff, well, better go sign up for 5 more things. Heck, I recently wanted to watch Columbo, right, as Youtube randomly threw clips of it at me and it looked interesting. First time I'd taken an interest in any sort of show in years. But that meant signing up for some bloody stupid subscription JUST for that. The mostly unused subscription to Hulu didnt have that (just as it doesnt have LOTS of things, since it's all so divided). I ended up just roaming the internet until I found a free (albeit wobbly) download of one episode, and that was nice, but the process of doing that more is beyond my patience, so that's the only episode I've seen.

Though it's the ads that bug me the most, personally. My family all watch a lot of TV (both shows and movies), and something I often ask them is "how in the world can you watch this? It's more ad than it is show". Often they arent even truly paying attention to what they're watching, it's so full of ads that their phones become more interesting. At least on Youtube I can block all that nonsense... I've got like 4 separate layers of adblockers running, nothing gets through... but I cant stop things that arent on my PC here, so I never venture outside of it.

That's just how I see it, anyway, others may have different views on it. Overall it's why I switched over to mostly watching Youtube... I used to watch TV and movies, once upon a time, but that was a long time ago. And even then, a lot of what I did watch was well before my time.
I usually buy most of the movies I watch, but I am in a position where my income makes that possible. I am fairly comfortable where I am at now. I just have issues with seeking external validation online when I should be building myself offline instead.

Maybe the whole Cottagecore trend is sort of a modern "Back to the Land" movement. Learning to work natural materials with our hands to create useful items is in our DNA. Less staring and hypnosis, and more satisfying work and creativity.

How about getting an exercise bike or running machine, setting it up in front of the TV and using it while watching a movie at the same time? Best of both worlds :)

I have the same pain problems as @Misery mentioned.
My days are broken up between trying to get enough sleep, eat properly, and the feeling of obligation to keep things tidy as my body will allow and do household chores.

I like a little tv at night and the way I get around the ads is to pre-record what I want to watch on the DVR. I keep a long list of things to pick from on the list.
I can fast forward through long commercials and some movies on Prime have no ads.
I don't subscribe to the many apps for other media like Hulu, Netflix or Sho, HBO, etc.
Don't need them. I can find something for the two hours I want to do nothing in the evenings while watching TV.

As far as screen time, I have very little time for it.
In the middle of the night mostly for a couple hours.
Actually, I don't have enough time to do everything I want to do on-line.
I like to read on the bigger screen of the PC. Sometimes I want games.
Watch a You Tube or stream an hour show. Always business to attend to and of
course I like coming to this forum or doing some email.
Can't do it all in 2 hours. So, I have to break it up.
And such is the day in the life of...

I've been on this site quite a bit due to a break in work. But, prior to that, I had to severely limit screen time. This was due to light sensitivity. Work took up most of my stamina, but otherwise any screen light was causing lots of pain and insomnia. I also went to the ER because I thought I had two seizures one morning. That was not the case, fortunately. I donated my TV and cut back on the internet, though, so I could handle the computer at work.

Aside from talking more with other Autistic people, I didn't miss much. Our culture is so empty and dead. We live in a time of great distractions, but little that's memorable. And when I see people talk about the "golden age of TV," it sounds so self-congratulatory. Especially with the massive, global problems we're having. I'll leave it at that, since this is not a political thread. I only mean I've enjoyed returning to life, rather than escaping it.

I've done the outdoors, I've done the indoors.
The outdoors would kill me and introduce so much stress my brain could never process in time that the months I'd need to spend resting and recovering (or running on fumes) would be like living as an automaton. Not a good deal.
Screenwatching is honestly fine (provided some mindfulness about what you spend your time interfacing with obviously). Sitting, however, is very bad for you. Periodic stretching is the bare minimum, but I would really recommend looking into some bloodflowing exercise either through routine outdoor walks/bike ride/jogging, a gym, or home equipment.
Do not underestimate the power of the standing desk either. I recommend against looking for whole new non-screen hobbies out of a procrastination or health concern, go by genuine interest instead. It is always best to live without strain.

Lately, I’ve been trying to clamp down on screen time to the point I have an app blocker locking Reddit and Instagram on my phone at the moment. TV isn’t too much of a issue for me because I just have one or two TV shows I occasionally watch at any given time. I only have NF, Hulu/Disney+ bundle, and Prime since I cut the cord ages ago. I have Duolingo so at least I have some kind of productive use of screentime, though. I’m mulling over getting a Nintendo Switch and I think concern over adding yet another screen that I spend my life in front of just made me scrutinize how I’m spending my time. I do read and I do keep some potted plants as sone other hobbies, but I think I’m going to try to go on some walks in the evenings more. Been looking into local groups on Meetup and etc, too.

I am finding that too much time on forums is keeping me from doing what I need to do to improve my own life.

Same with too much time in front of my television.

Our brains deserve better than what most of us have tended to feed them.

Our bodies deserve more physical activity than what many of us have been giving them.

Life was not meant to be spent mostly in front of screens.

Let us make a group effort to cut back on screen time and build ourselves up from there. Let us abandon the nation of Procasti.
I should find spending more time offline than I do online but it is very lonely at times being offline and for someone who feels isolated and lonely, it’s really nice to feel connected in a sense. Even if I dont actively participate. I need to have constant sound around me, so I dont feel aware of the silence at times Because that can lead to dark thoughts and I don’t Really want to go there When I‘m making an effort to be more positive, so if I’m crafting I’ll have a series or a film on. I play video games but I do limit the amount of time I spend playing them. Also, I do read, and I do spend time outside to get fresh Air and look at the cows Or the little puppy that barks whenever I walk passed him.

I need to have constant sound around me, so I dont feel aware of the silence at times Because that can lead to dark thoughts and I don’t Really want to go there When I‘m making an effort to be more positive, so if I’m crafting I’ll have a series or a film on.

Me too, the sound of silence can be awful, I don't like it. When I'm doing something I like to have a tv on in the background, it's just nice to have some sounds and voices in the room. Better than the sound of silence, industrial strength silence, silence makes me think too much sometimes.

Last edited:
It is important to get out in the woods, in the fresh air. But, I take you guys with me in my pocket now. I never know when I might need the Muttering Area or a quick reminder that I may not be a complete alien on this planet. Besides, how else could I keep up with the last person to post game where all my dopamine comes from? I don’t have friends or other humans that I would call or text for support and certainly no one that would understand anyway.

Behind my screen is the tiny computer that plays songs for me, lets me listen to podcasts, allows me to take photographs that I can actually share with other humans, and find my way out of the woods when I’ve gone too far off the trail.

Two forum members created songs that were shared with me and I use them for instant relief from intense anxiety. Before going into a grocery store or an appointment, they help me feel grounded and then on the way out, I can listen to them and restore my calm instead of stimming in ways that are harmful and hurt my body.

I go for walks quite often on weekends, attend lots of different events (small concerts, poetry readings, etc...), member of two social clubs

And my work keeps me away from the computer for eight hours a day from Monday to Friday, I often go out a couple nights a week

All of this isn't as frantic as it sounds like, at least to me
Crap! Just found out I have to work late all week, late enough that by the time I get home it will be a mad scramble to go anywhere in the evening, had two things planned this week, now I'm not so sure :rolleyes:

It's not overtime just a slightly later start time, thus getting home slightly later, still the same eight hours... Sorry to pour water on an otherwise good discussion, I'm not happy...

I am finding that too much time on forums is keeping me from doing what I need to do to improve my own life.

Same with too much time in front of my television.

Our brains deserve better than what most of us have tended to feed them.

Our bodies deserve more physical activity than what many of us have been giving them.

Life was not meant to be spent mostly in front of screens.

Let us make a group effort to cut back on screen time and build ourselves up from there. Let us abandon the nation of Procasti.
Yeah seriously, but let's face it, if it wasn't for these screens we would all would be in person not getting anything done or maybe it was different I can't remember. Oh no it was different even as a kid in the eighties we encouraged and learned from the older ones but times started changing after y2k ummm hmmm err y2k...

yea i used to be great on being outdoors, all the written studying i had to do for my course last year has certainly reduced that, and the essay writing i have to do now as well, luckily the part of my work placement that arent these essays are all horticulture work so I'm usually out working my body for 14 hours a week at least since its mostly labour based.
.......id probably be getting out way more though if i hadn't gotten back into video games, seeing what new things have come out in the 2 years i spent avoiding them is really exciting!, even though that's not very helpful here.

Interacting with other people on forums, and even playing video games, requires attention and thought. It provides stimulation.

Just watching TV is my definition of the slow sort of brain death that leads to dementia, this explains a lot about my parent's generation.
The article below references a recent study that shows that watching TV reduces the amount of grey matter (ie neurons) in the brain. My grandfather always used to call TV the "Idiot Box" and warn us about watching too much because it turns people into mindless automatons...I always thought it was funny, but seems he was right

I think a lot of it depends on what one is watching.

I can name many movies that are extremely intellectually stimulating.

Just like I can name many movies and TV shows that demand one turns the brain off to possibly enjoy.

This is why, in our world as it is now, I think it's important to pay attention to what you consume.

My views are somewhat controversial, but I believe that almost everything is a form of brainwashing. For example, if I use my screen time to look up reference manuals, watch lectures and learn new things, I'm kind of brainwashing myself into actually making it a reality... and it works. But I know plenty of people who obsess over horror movies and all sorts of dark stuff, and they seem to really take on that stress and sadness as an actual personality trait, too, when they consume it enough.

Obviously this has way more to do with how you personally feel in regards to the content (and there are some huge exceptions, reasons why I'm an absolute hypocrite in this territory and even more stuff I won't get into), but I've always been aware that movies are especially good at fooling you into believing the experience is actually happening. So unless it's something funny or feel-good, I generally stay away from it. My only personal exception is like, a hero's journey or something that shows your primitive brain that perseverance can pay off - anything with a positive takeaway, really. Studies have even showed that the opposite has a negative impact on cortisol levels and all sorts of crazy stuff.

Screens are really just a tool in today's world, but it's easy to recycle previous generations' advice which they obviously didn't even heed themselves, as you mentioned. I think they're so much more powerful than anyone gives them credit for, especially since we have direct control over what we see in them.

They're seriously black mirrors, or crystal balls, if you really think about it hard enough.

New Threads

Top Bottom