• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Late, self-diagnosed

Charzy22

Hello all. Looking forward to getting to know everyone. At 51 yrs of age, I finally realized why my life has been so complicated. I have depression, ADD, OCD, and anxiety diagnoses, so I am sure those disorders have kept me from digging deeper. I never could figure out why I have never had friends (or kept any) my whole life, can't look into people's eyes when talking, hate meeting new people and going to new places-- sometimes dread being around familiar people and places as well. I do a lot of stimming that I wasn't aware I did until I started looking at my behaviors and mannerisms over the past week. I took a few online assessments, and all of them said that I likely have autism and to get further testing, so now I am just waiting to get in this coming June (it takes forever). I am glad to have found this forum. Looking forward to meeting others who understand what I am going through.

Welcome. I'm a relative newbie here too, and also a recent late diagnosis.

So putting the pieces together/joining the dots a bit more each day.

welcome to af.png

Hi and welcome, yes it's good to find out about what can be a useful overall link for understanding the big picture of who you are and why you may have some of those differences. It sort of normalizes it in a way, and hopefully can free you up a bit to stop trying solutions that work for neurotypical people, and find or elaborate on strategies that work for you.

Figured it out around the age of 55.

Yet formally diagnosed with clinical depression, social anxiety and OCD long ago back in 1982.

Welcome to the club....er uh...Autism Forums.

Hi @Charzy22! For me, it's been like rediscovering things I know about myself but have kept locked away, and in their rediscovery learning that I want these parts of me that no one else wants. (If that makes any sense.) They are things integral to who I am as a person and I'd like to take them back. I hope you will rediscover many good things about yourself, too. Welcome!

Welcome. I'm a relative newbie here too, and also a recent late diagnosis.

So putting the pieces together/joining the dots a bit more each day.
Same here. Each day I see things about myself that I was so clueless about my whole life. I am so glad though, that I have an answer as to why I have always felt different than everyone else.

New Threads

Top Bottom