• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Last Book You Read/Next Book You Want to Read?

Last week I re-read if I Ran The Zoo by Dr. Seuss out loud.. The power had gone out because of a storm, and I was trying to find other ways to pass the time. But it was hard to read with only a little flashlight, and the candles I lit barely helped.

I just finished a Stephen King book called Needful Things. Is it just me, or do his novels actually kind of quite suck? I’ve read two or three of them in my life, and they’ve all been boring or, in the case of Needful Things, they start out really well but then toward the end become so bizarre and “gaudy” in a very tacky, unsophisticated way.

Needful Things is not one of Stephen King's finest, imho.

I read my first Stephen King book in 1975 (Carrie) and have been a steady, SK reader ever since. I love some of his books, some have just been okay and others I haven't enjoyed at all.

As a long time 'constant reader' of SK, his books bring a feeling of warm familiarity, like slipping on a comfortable, well worn cloak.

I'm reading Notes from a Dead House by Fyodor Dostoevsky. My friend who loves Dostoevsky as much as I do said it's one of his best novels.
I tried to look it up. Is that the correct title? I found Notes from Underground and The House of the Dead.

I tried to look it up. Is that the correct title? I found Notes from Underground and The House of the Dead.
What tree just posted is correct. The book is often titled The House of the Dead but the Richard Pevear and Larissa Volokhonsky translation I'm reading is titled Notes from a Dead House. The House of the Dead/Notes from a Dead House is a 300 page novel about Dostoevsky's time in prison while Notes from Underground is a 130 page novella that is considered to be the first existentialist novel.

Last edited:
Finished Live By Night by Dennis Lehane. Was made into motion picture. A little bit gangster, love web, all during Prohibition. And his other books are Shutter Island and Mystic River. Now l want to read a book he wrote a couple years back. This had plenty of twists, super engaging writing style, and for a book, l was kinda of sitting on the edge of my seat.

So grateful to read Dostoevsky in in San Francisco high school. The Brothers Karamazov

Last edited:
That sounds great @Aspychata I love that time period and, though I haven't read the books, Shutter Island was a great film. I feel like I've seen Mystic River too but I can't remember it.

A Field Guide to the English Clergy: A compendium of diverse eccentrics, pirates, prelates and adventurers; all Anglican, some even practising by Fergus Butler-Gallie

I finished The Brothers Karamazov four days ago.

Excellent book. It's mind-blowing to think it was written by a single person. I plan to read The Idiot later, if I can make time for it.

The last book I finished was Atomic Habits: Tiny Changes, Remarkable Results, by James Clear. Good book, and as the name suggests, it's about the power of habits, and how you can use them for self-improvement. How tiny changes in your habits can compound. It's backed by science, and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn more about habits, and the effect they can have in your life and how you can use them to your advantage.

The last book I read is titled The next Aum (2009) by Gregory Wilson. It is his PhD thesis and offers a great analysis of Aum Shinrikyo's motivations and the aftermath of the Tokyo subway attack in 1995.

Furiously Happy, by Jenny Lawson.

Surprisingly unfunny.
It really interested me how a person could take potentially funny material
and, for the most part, render it lifeless.

New Threads

Top Bottom