• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Large age gap relationships

Status
Not open for further replies.
There will always be judgmental ppl looking to pull others down.
Part of humanity's toxic psychology.
What cha gunna do? :cool:
People who are dissatisfied with themselves enjoy putting others down to feel a little better.

Some judge woman more being with a younger guy, then guys being with younger woman. There is double standards. I think with age, other desires kind of dwindle. It's a tempest in a teapot response. Though personally l prefer Chai. :)

Misty, only a 12 year gap between my mechanical engineer and me, but we got a lot of (ungenerous) comments from family, friends, and total strangers at the beginning (36 with long curly red hair and adorably cute balding 48).
After not too long of that foolishness, I started looking at commenters with the Have You Fallen Out Of Your Tree?? look and no words from me. Didn't take to long before we were no longer receiving comments.
They can have whatever thoughts they want, but they don't get to inflict them on me. Most people I think/hope are just thoughtless and gossipy, not intentionally hurtful.

And MME would occasionally toss in Well She Is My 7th Wife, You Know :) to particularly rude people who insisted on pursuing the topic. Yes he is adorable.

Some judge woman more being with a younger guy, then guys being with younger woman. There is double standards. I think with age, other desires kind of dwindle. It's a tempest in a teapot response. Though personally l prefer Chai. :)
They are the same type of ppl.
Unenlightened.

They can have whatever thoughts they want, but they don't get to inflict them on me. Most people I think/hope are just thoughtless and gossipy, not intentionally hurtful.

And MME would occasionally toss in Well She Is My 7th Wife, You Know :) to particularly rude people who insisted on pursuing the topic. Yes he is adorable.
Some ppl are brainwashed.
Go figure.

Being gay is not a choice. Having an opinion against people because of who they are is a difficult thing to justify in any context.

The difficulty there is defining "harm". Some people think I cause harm just by standing next to their kid at the bus stop. They would say "sure, let them be, but let's have separate bus stops for people from that community so they can't harm my kid."

I think this was an unfortunate comparison. But I do get the sentiment. A negative view of large age gap relationships does seem to be a common thing, although by no means ubiquitous. I've certainly heard some negative comments. Progress is being made, very visibly, to dispel the myths surrounding non-straight sexual orientation. I can imagine someone on the receiving end of critical remarks about their age compared to their partner might be upset that no-one seems to be paying similar attention to their situation. I think that was the general gist of the original post, rather than equating sexual orientation and large age gaps. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally, I think in future when I hear someone make a snide remark about large age gaps, I'm gonna be more inclined to pull 'em up on it.
I must clarify when I say there can be made valid points against part of the community that part does not include gay, lesbian or bisexual. It was meant more against the identity part of the community.

I thought this thread was about LAG, and not about finding a way to attack LGBTQ people or their relationships?

Please clarify. If the premise of this thread is that all couples should be respected equally, then there's no basis for identifying or targeting any other group, whether it's done in general terms or by "disrespecting everyone else's" in direct or indirect attacks on the site. Any possible hypocrisy should be addressed, reported, and stopped, especially when it breaks site rules.

I agree that it would be best to get this thread back on track with the original premise. It’s gotten pretty far off course. Let’s rein it in.

While they're at it, my partner and I would appreciate an apology and retraction for the negative comments that were directed at us.

REMINDER

Original thread premise>

"Why is it so bad for two consenting adults with a lot of years between them to date each other?"

It appears that this concept has resulted in debate and off topic comparisons.

If there were to be further replies they'd need to be simple statements of
one's belief regarding an age gap between partners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Top Bottom