• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just noticed something when I do a calculation.

Iamnotarabot

Ok in the few coming days I will flood the forum with tons of question, at first I wanted to make a single thread to take less space but I realized that it is better to have a clear title so people willing to participate can do so.

Ok so yesterday I had like a weird moment , I had to do a quick calculation of something and for a reason I couldnt explain I had the result pretty quickly, like instantly , it was a simple one.

But I couldnt get the result out with my voice, i mean, not as fast it took like 2sec more.

And it brought back an old memory of school, when i was 8/10 we had quick calculation sessions in class were we just had to write the result in our own board.

I was good, well i mean average , but the truth is that many times I had the answer fast but I couldnt write it down on time that was harder than getting the result.

Any idea?

I'm like that, I can do maths "In my head" almost literally with my eyes shut, but ask me to put pen to paper to do sums, unless it's extremely simple I can't do it.

Ok in the few coming days I will flood the forum with tons of question, at first I wanted to make a single thread to take less space but I realized that it is better to have a clear title so people willing to participate can do so.

Ok so yesterday I had like a weird moment , I had to do a quick calculation of something and for a reason I couldnt explain I had the result pretty quickly, like instantly , it was a simple one.

But I couldnt get the result out with my voice, i mean, not as fast it took like 2sec more.

And it brought back an old memory of school, when i was 8/10 we had quick calculation sessions in class were we just had to write the result in our own board.

I was good, well i mean average , but the truth is that many times I had the answer fast but I couldnt write it down on time that was harder than getting the result.

Any idea?

I understand that for some the brain may have the tendency to shut out momentarily things that are right there on the tip of the tongue. You want to say it or write it but alas you forget it. This could be what is called short term memory dysfunction. Google it. Research it. In most instances it is temporary and one should not worry over it too much. https://bebrainfit.com/short-term-memory-loss/

Well sometimes my short term memory is a mess I know that, BUT, i don think i was talking about that ; I didnt explain it clearly enought I guess.

I cant remember why i was slower at school, but, yesterday it was realy that I had the answer , not just that I felt i had it ( it happens a lot but not this much recently) , I even visualize the answer but it took 2sec to get it out like I needed to put extra effort to do it.

Could it be that you knew but you just didn’t want to say it?

Sometimes I do things like that. Somewhere in my mind I just have a need to know without telling it on. Even when the question is asked out in the open.

I think that our brains are geared to pick up patterns on the subconscious level, and that means that when we do a lot of maths calculations, eventually the brain learns to recognise the patterns and we are able to do them without conscious thought. It has happened to me, too. I used to have to calculate a lot of fractions. percentages and ratios. I had a colleague that did the dame. After a while, I just knew the calculation without having to think about it, but she still needed to think each one through or use a calculator.

New Threads

Top Bottom