• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Just make friends!" Most unhelpful advice ever?

I problem I have found with activity clubs is that they are still fundamentally social organizations. If the problem is inability to socialize, it seems to me that joining a social organization is useless, unless the club is specifically organized for autistics and other socially impaired persons. In a normal club, the loneliness and ostracism will still be there, just in a smaller circle of people.

Well, the idea of having a club, especially if it's a focused club to support a safer space and environment for being social to people enough like you, provides much potential opportunity and resources for socialization we might not normally have or have to create.

Clubs specifically for people on the spectrum are hard to find, especially if you don't live near a metropolitan area. So, you have nothing to lose by continually giving yourself the opportunity to meet people and possibly connect with others. What socialization comes to is some luck and slowly connecting with others. Usually, that is done through common interests and being able to converse with each other on that. Even in an autistic club, this is probably still true.

Ultimately and ironically, it is you, yourself, and you who builds that ability to socialize and be okay with lots of rejection for sensical or non-sensical reasons and to be able to move on no matter what the circumstance. We may not connect as easily as others, but it doesn't mean we can't connect. It probably takes us longer and that is okay.

Part of the "secret" to being social I realized is we can stand up for ourselves with confidence and not let others walk all over us, but at the same time we can respect others around us. Balance.

Last edited:
“Just make friends”
:D

It’s on par with
“Pull your socks up”
as an effective treatment for depression :)

I could ‘just make friends’ if I had to assemble them myself from parts that arrived in a little box.

New Threads

Top Bottom