• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Just fixed an old camputer!!I think!

DaRKMsOul18

Hey guys! I just fixed an old computer that had loads of virus's!

I used Google chrome on it to clear a large amount of viruses, they have a clean up tool.

And the browser, even on this old windows XP machine, was fast!

I also am installing avast.

I just really hope the computer isn't still packed with dormant viruses or I'm just in safe mode mistakenly.........

That would be bad.

Old to not even support XP damn this thing is realy old xD
I imagine this thing being in a dusty room or something like that xD

XP is full of security loopholes, if you connect it to the net you will be hacked in a matter of hours.

XP is full of security loopholes, if you connect it to the net you will be hacked in a matter of hours.
Unfortunately, yes, Windows XP is swiss cheese for security. How about installing Linux on it and putting it back into service?

Hey guys! I just fixed an old computer that had loads of virus's!

I used Google chrome on it to clear a large amount of viruses, they have a clean up tool.

And the browser, even on this old windows XP machine, was fast!

I also am installing avast.

I just really hope the computer isn't still packed with dormant viruses or I'm just in safe mode mistakenly.........

That would be bad.

I have a computer that got a virus, rendering it useless. It will cost me over $ 125.00 to take in for repair. I wish I knew how to fix it like you. Have you any tips, or link tutorials to share?

There's a simple premise one must follow in using Microsoft Windows operating systems. That when an operating system is no longer formally supported, whatever security fixes involve current versions of their operating system, usually serve as a blueprint to hack the expired, unsupported versions.

Once I reinstalled Windows XP on my legacy hardware system after it was no longer supported, I purged it of any security concerns and immediately took it offline on a permanent basis.

It's true. With this expired OS, you will be hacked in a matter of hours- maybe minutes if you remain online with it. Never run any unsupported version of Microsoft Windows online beyond just reinstalling it. Even then, expect to get hacked.

Depending on the old software you have and like, running an old operating system can be a great resource. But seriously, forget about ever running it online.

Last edited:
.”... running an old operating system can be a great resource. But seriously, forget about ever running it online.

What would you use the computer for then? Sorry, not tech minded. I know it’s a fancy storage place for music and photos, and maybe writing term papers. But is there something else I am missing?

Also, if I pay $125.00 to get it fixed, are you saying I should not go online?

What would you use the computer for then? Sorry, not tech minded. I know it’s a fancy storage place for music and photos, and maybe writing term papers. But is there something else I am missing?

Great question with a simple answer. Think of how many software programs we have all run that we either liked or loved. Where their continued use went away simply because later operating systems would no longer run them.

That's a lot of good, but also expensive high-quality productivity software and games I'm talking about. And not every software application is Internet-dependent. :cool:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But software and hardware developers want you to continually buy newer versions. Even when the old ones work just fine. :eek:

Last edited:
I have a computer that got a virus, rendering it useless. It will cost me over $ 125.00 to take in for repair. I wish I knew how to fix it like you. Have you any tips, or link tutorials to share?
Hi! Download a freely available software package called Avast. That should help get rid of your virus problem.

Great question with a simple answer. Think of how many software programs we have all run that we either liked or loved. Where their continued use went away simply because later operating systems would no longer run them.

That's a lot of good, but also expensive high-quality productivity software and games I'm talking about. And not every software application is Internet-dependent. :cool:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But software and hardware developers want you to continually buy newer versions. Even when the old ones work just fine. :eek:

I don’t know what you mean. I have never played games video or computer). What software are you referring to?

I don’t know what you mean. I have never played games video or computer). What software are you referring to?

Productivity software of all kinds. Photo enhancement, bitmap and vector graphic$ software. The kind (industry-standard software) that used to cost several hundreds of dollars. (Many still do). Games in comparison are nowhere nearly as expensive. But either way if you enjoy them and they aren't Internet-dependent, why allow some OS manufacturer to make them all obsolescent?

Imagine having several thousands of dollars invested in quality software that still get the job done, but having to just toss them out because of newer operating systems? Though if you've never had a job in a particular industry requiring specific computer skills this may make little sense to you.

Last edited:
Productivity software of all kinds. Photo enhancement, bitmap and vector graphic$ software. The kind (industry-standard software) that used to cost several hundreds of dollars. (Many still do). Games in comparison are nowhere nearly as expensive. But either way if you enjoy them and they aren't Internet-dependent, why allow some OS manufacturer to make them all obsolescent?

Imagine having several thousands of dollars invested in quality software that still get the job done, but having to just toss them out because of newer operating systems?

Oh like photoshop. I have version 3.0 and it’s at least 12 years old! I don’t think it would work! Still, should I pay $125.00 to fix this old computer? It does have photos on it.

Oh like photoshop. I have version 3.0 and it’s at least 12 years old! I don’t think it would work! Still, should I pay $125.00 to fix this old computer? It does have photos on it.

Wouldn't you just love it though IF you could still use it ? ;)

I still run Photoshop 5.5 on Windows 7, but this is the end of the line. Luckily I have it on my legacy XP system as well, even connected to a color inkjet printer with a CD carrying the original XP drivers.

Only a user can determine the real value of potentially lost data on their own hard drive. Though more than likely such data can be retrieved for a price. Sadly it happens all the time. People just don't archive valuable data on removable media. So when their hard drive is compromised, it's a lot more difficult to retrieve. And a 64 GB flash drive or rewritable DVD can hold a whole lot of archived data.

Last edited:
Uhh.. no, it's running XP.

I've installed a modern copy of avast (actually works, somehow)

Even though, still..

Also,

Can't get linux probably on that old processor.

Still, my raspberry pi probably runs better than this, I just fixed it so my family can use it again.

And, I barley know how to use Linux.

I was able to install firefox.

I've installed a modern copy of avast (actually works, somehow)

Even though, still..

Use Avast to clean it up....then take it offline. Otherwise you're just using band-aids to combat cancer. You might also run Spybot Search and Destroy version 1.6 if you can find it. Just be sure to turn off Avast temporarily so you don't risk "false-positives" showing up in either program. Using Spybot- not run in resident memory to counter a potential existence of other malware Avast might not pick up.

Microsoft won't support a required security level of this product. Don't expect Avast- or Spybot to make up the difference.

I once gave this all much thought. Even considered running a third-party firewall like Comodo. But I read far too much about how inherently vulnerable XP became as an officially unsupported operating system. Just too many ways for hackers to get deep inside the OS itself. Where antivirus and malware programs may function as mere "idiot lights", only telling you about intrusions after the fact.

Unfortunately from a business perspective, when an OS developer no longer supports an earlier version, it's generally not cost-effective for third-party developers to pick up where they left off. So eventually you end up seeing many of them simply abandon support as well. Worse if they choose to do so in part rather than in whole. It's just too risky to run XP online now.

But offline, think of all those old programs and games you can still run. And without any anti-virus/security programs that take up so much resident memory. Equally you can turn off any number of XP services not required while running offline, so you can reclaim a great deal of memory for your primary apps and games.

I think of my legacy system as my own Tardis. A way of going back in time about 15 years. :D

Windows XP services that can be safely DISABLED! - Forums

Last edited:

Try Google chrome cleaner, it's in the browser, forgot the exact name.

And try Avast antivirus to keep your computer safe.

Use Avast to clean it up....then take it offline. Otherwise you're just using band-aids to combat cancer. You might also run Spybot Search and Destroy version 1.6 if you can find it. Just be sure to turn off Avast temporarily so you don't risk "false-positives" showing up in either program. Using Spybot- not run in resident memory to counter a potential existence of other malware Avast might not pick up.

Microsoft won't support a required security level of this product. Don't expect Avast- or Spybot to make up the difference.

I once gave this all much thought. Even considered running a third-party firewall like Comodo. But I read far too much about how inherently vulnerable XP became as an officially unsupported operating system. Just too many ways for hackers to get deep inside the OS itself. Where antivirus and malware programs may function as mere "idiot lights", only telling you about intrusions after the fact.

Unfortunately from a business perspective, when an OS developer no longer supports an earlier version, it's generally not cost-effective for third-party developers to pick up where they left off. So eventually you end up seeing many of them simply abandon support as well. Worse if they choose to do so in part rather than in whole. It's just too risky to run XP online now.

But offline, think of all those old programs and games you can still run. And without any anti-virus/security programs that take up so much resident memory. Equally you can turn off any number of XP services not required while running offline, so you can reclaim a great deal of memory for your primary apps and games.

I think of my legacy system as my own Tardis. A way of going back in time about 15 years. :D

Windows XP services that can be safely DISABLED! - Forums

Or just give up on it again?

I mean, we don't even use it for much and I'm saving up for my own modern laptop...

New Threads

Top Bottom