• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jobs That Don’t Require A Fast Pace

Otherwise the only practical thing I can add in this discussion would be to become self-employed in a unique capacity where YOU dictate deadlines rather than a client. -Easier said than done.

I concur that something to look for (and unfortunately they may not necessarily be obvious) is any position, be it as an employee or in self employment (contractor or otherwise) where you have a fair level of control over work flow / pace.

For example, in my job (social work / social services), my production is measured in clients served per week. But how I organize my work is up to me. On a day where I have lots of energy I might do a lot of talking to clients, and on a day where I'm not up for interaction, I may, aside from pre-scheduled meetings, focus more on writing up reports and reviewing files for upcoming clients and preparing notes. I use a spreadsheet to keep track of my work and where I am with each client, and each morning, I decide what my approximate routine for the day is, and of course that can change along the way if someone is away, something takes longer than expected, etc.

Self employment is often a route for many autistic individuals since you have full control over your work flow, but as illustrated by my example, you may find other work (and sometimes in unexpected places) where you have sufficient control that it's easier to cope with, versus a job where you are expected to give a stable output on a daily, hourly, or perpetual basis.

Today i was ready to write a post about what jobs are not so stressful for people like us and i found your post :D

Currently i am working at an ice-cream and dairy shop, as a summer job, which is very famous and people are coming non stop to buy ice-cream and other dairy products.

I am new at this job, i work there for a month only.
In my 3 week of work i was told from an employee that i am working too slow and if i won't become faster he will tell the manager , that i am not suitable for the place of work.
I tried my best and i am faster now, but i need to become even faster.

This job is too stressful for me. But as a student i can't find an ideal job made for me.

People have told me i need to find a job in the public sector. But that is like a dream job for many. There you work as slow as you want and you work from 7 am to 2 or 3 pm and then you have the rest day for yourself ha ha.

Anyway i have understood that we live in a fast food society, the faster you are , the more money the company gets. It is how capitalism works.

What are your qualifications? My answer depends upon any education or experience you have.
I have mostly food service experience, some retail experience, and some training in office work. Specifically, programs used in offices such as MS Word, Outlook, and Publisher.

I used to work in a book store, and I loved it. You just walk around shelving books, straightening shelves, and recommending titles to people. It was lovely.

My mom held two jobs on that list. And my favorite job was paralegal, and that's on the list too. Lol.

Good luck with your job search. Just apply for jobs that sound interesting, but ask what deadlines your employer needs accomplished then you can decide if it is doable.

Most jobs do have time senstitive aspects. Would you feel better if you kept a log of what needs to be done? I multitasked working for an state lawyer association but kinda had deadlines imposed by me. I made it my deadline to accomplish tasks in an orderly manner. But l also had some leeway on handling cases and made a final determination as to status of cases being meditated by me along with my other tasks. So any job that gives you the ability to call the shots means you set the deadlines.

I had another nice job. I was a file clerk. You need to be working consistently, but you don't have to rush. If you're really good at alphabetizing things, and filing things in numerical order, and retrieving such things, this would be a nice job.

I have mostly food service experience, some retail experience, and some training in office work. Specifically, programs used in offices such as MS Word, Outlook, and Publisher.
Do you enjoy office work? Working on a computer? Is getting more education an option? Do you like to work with people? Working in a billing department comes to mind as does medical transcription also data entry. Some of the options presented in previous responses require an education. I guess part of it comes down to what are your interests? What would you like to do? What would make you happy?

I had an awesome job back in the nineties I still miss. I was an accounting clerk in a thirty employee organization which had to do mass mailings sometimes to the thousands of members. We'd get the email for the 'mailing party' and everyone available would pile in the conference room to fold pages and stuff envelopes. I love repetitive work like that so I always went. Everyone from the CEO on down came to mailing parties and they were always cheerful, happy events.

Do you enjoy office work? Working on a computer? Is getting more education an option? Do you like to work with people? Working in a billing department comes to mind as does medical transcription also data entry. Some of the options presented in previous responses require an education. I guess part of it comes down to what are your interests? What would you like to do? What would make you happy?
I love office work. It's something I want to try. It would be a welcome change from what I'm doing now, which is food service.

There’s a lot of competition from the online postings. Perhaps I should try finding something in person. There wouldn’t be as much competition.

Where would you like to work? There is also the possibility of working from home. What can you add to your application that would make you the best person for the job?

Where would you like to work? There is also the possibility of working from home. What can you add to your application that would make you the best person for the job?
I’d like to work in or near Seattle, but I can also work anywhere in South King County, and Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, and Sammamish. As for what I could add to my application, maybe some recommendations from people who know me and my abilities well.

I’d like to work in or near Seattle, but I can also work anywhere in South King County, and Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, and Sammamish. As for what I could add to my application, maybe some recommendations from people who know me and my abilities well.

You need to assess your qualifications for the the position you are applying for. Do you have the necessary skills? What are the educational requirements for the position? Can you meet them? For some jobs you need more than experience and even then you need the right experience. Yes, you will need job references but you need to be able to demonstrate that you can do the job you are applying for. Consulting with others about ways you could stand out in the job market is a plus but not the main factor in a successful job search.

I’m finding that most jobs I apply for require a fast pace or the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Where should I look for jobs that don’t require the need to be fast?
I love this question because I literally close the tab of any job I see that lists in requirements, "must work well in a fast-paced environment". Instant next.

Because what that means to me is that I'm going to have to deal with a lot of stress about deadlines and people in a rush and there won't be a lot of flexibility or room for me to go at my own pace (which I find to be essential for me to thrive somewhere and enjoy the work I'm doing).

One way I've found around this is freelancing and short-term work. I'm considering starting an affiliate link blog but not really sure how to get started or if this is THE way for me.

But it seems like a nice alternative to working for employers who enforce a fast-paced environment I don't vibe with.

New Threads

Top Bottom