• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jobs That Don’t Require A Fast Pace

Andrew206

I’m finding that most jobs I apply for require a fast pace or the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Where should I look for jobs that don’t require the need to be fast?

Maybe driving? Where you are up against traffic patterns. Passenger buses etc.

Stocking jobs? Most jobs seem to have a resonable standard of when they want things done if they are paying by the hour. Other jobs such as coding, you sort of stay longer until task is completed but you may not be paid hourly. When l was handling billing for a law firm of 60 attorneys, l stayed until the job was completed but was paid biweekly. So any hours outside of business hours, l wasn't paid for.

So perhaps apply for jobs, then at the interview, ask what are the requirements and what is time sensitive so you can gauge your ability to complete the job.

Side note: one of the attorneys at this large law firm, where l worked, was Dan Case. His son created AOL. Dan was a very nice attorney. RIP Mr. Case.

Last edited:
Road crews, people that hold up stop/go/slow signs. They also get used on large construction sites, mining, maybe docks. I believe the money's quite good, down here anyway.

Last edited:
I’m finding that most jobs I apply for require a fast pace or the ability to work in a fast-paced environment. Where should I look for jobs that don’t require the need to be fast?

I would maybe consider government civil service jobs. They don’t pay well, but they might be slow paced.

Park & forest rangers, highway construction, garden & landscaping, drain technicians...
I'm guessing working outdoors alongside the natural elements deadlines are broader owing to the unpredictability of nature and weather.

Midwifery? - babies don't arrive naturally to timed targets.

Phlebotomy? Unless you're a vampire you can only work as fast as the blood flow & comfort of the patient.

I can't remember the job title of the person that autoclaves surgical theatre equipment, but they can't make autoclaves and sterilisers go any faster than the cycles require.

Perhaps a lab technician developing cultures for testing can only work methodically at the pace of the developing cultures?

The fastest pace I've ever had to work at was as a mail checker (on agency) in a postal sorting centre.
My brain likes patterns and spotting anomalies so picking out incorrect postcodes in bundles of letters destined for a certain area I found easy, the rate at which these letters flew off the belt was impressive.

Feeding patients at the hospital. Not always is the job requiring any kind of medical degree, I did it while in school. All you need is compassion - the jobs seem to come through the kitchen dept at the hospital. Very rewarding.

Clean up and maintenance at a hospital, actually there are many jobs you would prolly be perfect for. Start looking on-line if there are hospitals near you, there may be some perks like a free meal here and there and/or some kind of insurance.

Wish you the best, was one of the most rewarding jobs I’ve ever had. It’s fun helping people.

Maybe driving? Where you are up against traffic patterns. Passenger buses etc.

I'm an X truckdriver and believe me when i say DONT think of driving jobs as its highly stressfull and you're under constant pressure. Add to that you also need to be on youre toes all the time from trafic etc...

I'm an X truckdriver and believe me when i say DONT think of driving jobs as its highly stressfull and you're under constant pressure. Add to that you also need to be on youre toes all the time from trafic etc...

Thanks for correcting me.☺
Plus driving with old ladies like me only frustrates those truck drivers more. Staying safe means 40 mph on 45 mph road to me. Lol

Thanks for correcting me.☺
Plus driving with old ladies like me only frustrates those truck drivers more. Staying safe means 40 mph on 45 mph road to me. Lol

You`re very welcome my friend . Oh yes we just love having careful drivers in front of us especially before a steep uphill climb LOL

Never found a slow paced job myself. But I can tell you a couple to no do:

Avoid customer service office jobs. Usually fast paced, stressful and poorly paid.

Also avoid line cook work.

Ed

Here`s a list of suitable jobs for adult autistic

31 Awesome Job Options for People on the Autism Spectrum

As fore slow pace jobs im afraid that's gonna be hard to find as most demand you to do you're job and be productive (ie get as much as possible done in as short time as can be so then you can do more work on the same day) )

Added later to save replies

Reg said list

Its not all written in stone all that is is a list on suitable jobs . We can all have other jobs (truck driving is most definetly NOT on that list and most definitely NOT suitable for all my diagnosis) BUT i made it regardless the poor odds (for me what brought me down was the High stress rate and if you were lucky you had time to eat during the day and then only junk food as you cant stop everywhere with a rig . And above LOOONG 17 + hours workdays 6 days a week. )

So its bacikly in my own personal views up to us to try as best as we can on said preferd job but also accept our shortcomings and try to adapt as best we can and if said job not working out try to get another one.

Found the list of jobs were i actually located my (if i can & its possible later ) new extra jobb (part time )

34 Best and 10 Worst Jobs for Adults with Autism | EmaxHealth

Last edited:
Hospital porter?
No!? You’d be expected to transfer patients to x-rays, other wards, etc., at a fast pace to get to their destination/appointments on time. There may be very long corridors which you’ll need to walk fast in and then to come back and collect another patient only to do this all over again. It can last ALL DAY. NON STOP.

Here`s a list of suitable jobs for adult autistic

31 Awesome Job Options for People on the Autism Spectrum

As fore slow pace jobs im afraid that's gonna be hard to find as most demand you to do you're job and be productive (ie get as much as possible done in as short time as can be so then you can do more work on the same day) )

@Sarah S, the list you provided is a good list, and it covers nearly every job I have had during my career. I have been a Sr. Business Systems Analyst since 2014, and have found it to be a rewarding career. It is fast paced, but I have excelled because I leverage my unique systemizing skills. I rarely make mistakes because I have standardized processes. I have had a long rewarding career, and agree with Sarah that looking for slow paced jobs is not realistic. Look for jobs that utilize your unique abilities.

Road crews, people that hold up stop/go/slow signs. They also get used on large construction sites, mining, maybe docks. I believe the money's quite good, down here anyway.

Road crews can be done I used to do that but at times it is not as slow as you think.

Best advice I can give is don't try and get one yourself get a job counselor for disabled people after I did I don't have to worry about keeping up or if I am going to get fired. The job counselor talked to the boss before I was hired and told them what I can and can not do.

Small shops. Gardening.

Self employment as to some extent you can decide your pace of work, although you have to be reactive to situations i.e.work with little schedule.

There's that old saying in business. "Time is money". Translating into one basic reality- deadlines. Making most jobs to be inherently fast-paced. When I did retail it was like being a fighter pilot. Stand around doing nothing when there were no customers. Then the store filled up suddenly and I always had to scramble.

While doing warehouse work everything I did seemed to correlate to the schedules of others. It wasn't rocket science, but the hard labor always reminded me how little time I had to catch my breath and gulp down some Gatorade to keep going. Driving to deliver warehouse items allowed me to physically recover, but of course deliveries were always based on deadlines I had to meet to satisfy wholesale customers.

Going to work for an insurance company was the first job I did where everything involved a very fast pace. Where it was made very clear to me to do three things first and foremost: Produce - produce - produce. Whew, if anything stay away from most private sector office jobs.

Even as a website designer I always had deadlines made by game producers who wanted their product websites online at an exact point in time. Though I never really felt rushed from start to finish. I was just able to be quickly creative, where I could hear a concept pitched to me, and then visualize it in the form of a website interface.

The last thing I did for about ten years was to be self-employed managing my own investments. A very sophisticated job, but one that had no routine schedule. More like retail where things could be slow for a time, and suddenly I'd be under great pressure to buy or sell a stock based on unexpected circumstances. Otherwise I could spend time in a leisurely fashion just researching potential investments. But it all took an enormous amount of brainpower and above all, personal ri$k. A type of pressure somewhat different from time urgent work. Where if you run out of investment capital, you're in serious trouble.

I still recall daydreaming about such a job where there were no deadlines, no sense of time-urgency for any reason. I suppose a few of them exist, but in the big picture there aren't many to be found. Where far more people are looking for such jobs than those which actually exist. Like most people in this audience, I can certainly relate to a preference of such employment.

However I'm not sure how mentally healthy this is, in a world that inherently operates at a fast pace. Clearly I never found such work over my lifetime. Probably not what anyone wants to hear, but sometimes the truth is more valuable than a pipe dream. Where reality reflects that for better or worse, we must simply learn to adapt to this fast-paced world the best we can.

Otherwise the only practical thing I can add in this discussion would be to become self-employed in a unique capacity where YOU dictate deadlines rather than a client. -Easier said than done. Or seek employment in another country with a culture more attuned to a slower pace and lifestyle. They are out there...though of course relocating to another country and culture reflects its own challenges, especially during a global pandemic.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom