• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Jazz

Loren

V.I.P Member
Jazz is one of my favorite music genres, and wonder if there are others, here, who might be into Jazz as well.

I thought it would be nice to share the Jazz we're into. Whatever Jazz, or Jazz sub-genres you're into, feel free to share it, here!

Jazz is a genre I love, I have a soft spot for Gypsy Jazz stylings of Django Reinhardt. A great place to hear it is at Chicago's Green Mill, with the house band Alfonso Ponticelli and Swing Gitane. Also, once in NOLA, I went to listen to Dixieland at the Palm Court - the same musicians and more that play Preservation Hall in a room that is intimate with incomparable acoustics.

What I love about jazz is taking turns to improvise.

Here's Swing Gitane. In 2010 they hosted a marathon concert in Millennium Park for Django's centennial.

Last edited:

One of my latest findings
So nice. I think the first part of the song is so reminiscent of the Jazz Pianist, Roy Fukui.

Here is one of his pieces I'm particularly fond of, in case you might find his music appealing

I like jazz in all its playfulness. one track I enjoy in the incomparable album, Stay Awake, is Sun Ra and his Arkestra doing Pink Elephants on Parade.

I can appreciate the talent and time it takes to learn, write, and play jazz music, but it is one of my biggest sensory triggers because of the tones of alto saxophone specifically.

It feels like someone plugs a pair of 9 volt batteries directly into my nervous system via the base of my spine. It physically hurts and can trigger an overload faster than nearly any other input. Rap is a close second.

Last edited:
Jazz is a bit hit and miss for me. I like some jazz rock, or jazz fusion, though, and a lot of what I like has some jazz influences if not jazz in the purest sense of the word, such as long improvised passages. Santana is great. I also like If, Mode Plagal, Modry Effekt, Maneige, Needlepoint, Out of Focus.

I was strictly into classical Music into my early twenties. I believe the first album I bought that was not either a classical warhorse or a Broadway musical was Joni Mitchel's Clouds. In a scant 10 or twelve years I was into everything. Jazz, Fusion, Hard and Soft Rock, the list is rather large and excludes no musical genre.

Jazz interests are equally as varied. What I list here are just a few artists off the top of my head. Michael Franks, Al Jarreau, Gato Barberi, Weather Report, Keith Jarrett, Miles Davis, Ralph Towner, Jan Gabarek, Jaco Pastorius, Lyle Mays, Weather Report, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Charlie Mingus, Billie Holliday, Louis Prima and Keely Smith, and the list goes on.

Perhaps it is a bit pre 90s but those were my formidable years. I saw Keith Jarrett a couple of time when he was doing solo piano improvisations, just wonderful. But you get me going on reminiscing and I tend to go on and on and on and....

SO! I will stop now!

I have a tipographica-sized hole in my heart. If listening to this or other work by them makes you think of any other music, please share. Already aware of Zappa, DCPRG and Unbeltipo.

New Threads

Top Bottom