• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It finally makes sense!

A reccomendation (if you haven't seen it).

kanal-french-re-release-movie-poster.jpg

A Polish film, c.1957 about the Warsaw uprising late in WWII. It won many awards and I think an Oscar for best foreign film. I thought it very good. Based on actual events.

I Just received my official diagnosis yesterday! Autism and ADHD. I am still rather shocked... if you had told me two years ago that I was autistic I would have never believed it.

I always felt different from everyone around me, completely separated somehow. As a kid, I thought this was a good thing, since all the heroes and heroines in books were always different from the norm. But then as I got older it all went to pot. I've felt worthless for so long. Like a fake human... some sort of implant from another planet. But there's a reason for that, and I don't have to feel guilty about it any longer.

It's very nice to be here! I'm a young lady in her twenties. I love classic, world and arthouse film. My favorite movies include The Silence of the Lambs, Blade Runner, Daisies, Walkabout, Marketa Lazarova, and many more. I also really like languages and taught myself Korean in my teens. Nice to meet you :)
You like the movie Walkabout? I love that movie! There's a lot of depth to it that most people miss.

Welcome! :)
You’ll definitely enjoy it here. We’re pretty friendly!

That’s really impressive that you taught yourself Korean. I’m Portuguese-American and Latino and I really struggle with Portuguese and Spanish :confused: I’m adopted and my parents aren’t Hispanic.
I do enjoy music in those languages though. I love non-English language music.

Your interest in film is really cool too :) I studied film a little bit in school.

Hopefully you make lots of friends here and enjoy your stay! :)
- Luca
Hi Luca! Thanks for that. I am also Latina, Mexican-American in fact. Music is a really fun way to learn a language.

Ooh! What are your favorite films?

I felt pretty similar to you, when I was formally diagnosed a few year's ago now with asd grade 2 to 3.

Oh my, I am so jealous that you can understand Korean, as I love watching Korean dramas and just yesterday, a part of the subs went missing and I prided myself of understanding a few words, since my language nuron is not working.

I have lived in France for close to 20 years and can just get by in French. Can read a bit, but cannot write and it is said that if you learn one language, you can easily learn others, so there is me thinking: I love Korean things and the language, so if I could find my way to understanding it, it may help kick start my brain to speaking better French. The problem is, if I do not like something, I do not want to know and sadly, I do not like French.

Silence of the lamb gave me nightmares and cannot even look at that actor, without shuddering.

Anyway, welcome aboard.
Hi Suzanne! That's too bad about. the subs, but awesome that you got some of it! It's such a good feeling to finally understand what they are saying as it really is in Korean.

Wow, what a lovely thing it would be to live in France! I can speak some French as well. But yeah, without motivation I can't bring myself to learn anything.

I get what you're saying about SOTL :) I'm the opposite though, I could watch that movie a million times!

A reccomendation (if you haven't seen it).

View attachment 74575

A Polish film, c.1957 about the Warsaw uprising late in WWII. It won many awards and I think an Oscar for best foreign film. I thought it very good. Based on actual events.
Thank you!! Looks very good. That is going straight to my watchlist. Movie recommendations are to me what hugs are to others. Thank you for that :)

Reminds me of this fabulous Russian film that you might enjoy.
iR5TtaldgQWaNA1qhEduedUroBNOGA_original.jpg

You like the movie Walkabout? I love that movie! There's a lot of depth to it that most people miss.
Wow another Walkabout fan!! Isn't it brilliant? I've been fixating on it for a while now. The poem at the end is one of the most stunning moments in film I've ever witnessed. I cried for a good solid while after that. It feels both realistic and mythical at the same time.

Hi Luca! Thanks for that. I am also Latina, Mexican-American in fact. Music is a really fun way to learn a language.

Ooh! What are your favorite films?
I’m glad to meet another Latina on here! :)
I should’ve specified, I studied filmmaking… just a few classes, not as a major. I don’t really have a specific favorite but I really enjoy National Geographic documentaries :)

No, just a big obsession with Korean dramas! It was a quintessential autistic special interest. Hours and hours pouring over grammar books and doing conversation exchanges online! Lots of fun for me, although my mother was nonplussed that I spent all my time cooped up looking at flash cards :p

That is awesome and impressive.

I’m glad to meet another Latina on here! :)
I should’ve specified, I studied filmmaking… just a few classes, not as a major. I don’t really have a specific favorite but I really enjoy National Geographic documentaries :)
Ah okay! National Geographic documentaries are very cool :)

New Threads

Top Bottom