1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured Is this patronizing, or am I overthinking things?

Discussion in 'Friends, Family & Social Skills' started by KagamineLen, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Au Naturel

Au Naturel Au Naturel

I don't see how this either demonstrates "relativism" or "agree to disagree." The lady is flat out stating that he's wrong and she has no respect for him. You don't say something like that to anybody if you think they might be right or if you think they are wrong but still hold them in high regard.

Genuine respect is a rare thing in this world.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Meistersinger

Meistersinger Well-Known Member

It could be worse. 9 times out of 10, I get the rejoinder “Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one, and they all stink!” (Which is why I seldom express my opinion, since most people consider me to be an ass. They’re ALWAYS RIGHT, AND I’M ALWAYS WRONG, EVEN IF I CAN PROVE 50 WAYS TO SUNDAY THAT I WAS RIGHT!)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Kit

Kit Well-Known Member

"That's your opinion" is another way of saying "you're wrong." It would annoy me too. It's very dismissive IMO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Raggamuffin

Raggamuffin Well-Known Member

They're probably agreeing to disagree, whilst coming off a little passive aggressive in the process.

Ed

5. Rat

Rat New Member

Wow that sounds genuinely annoying. I have a feeling she is doing this in order to not be confrontational or something and just uses it as a cop out.

6. _eri_bellehumeur

_eri_bellehumeur Member

I'm maybe misinterpreting this. Is she saying this about actual opinions that could in some vein be considered controversial, or things like "I think ramen is delicious"? lol.

Regardless, that sounds very irritating. Perhaps it's just her version of one of those phrases people say to ensure others that they're listening, like "cool" or "interesting", and she doesn't understand that it can be taken to insinuate passive-aggressive questioning of others?

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ylva

Ylva Well-Known Member V.I.P Member It's My Birthday!

Does she mean that it's your opinion that you like the thing you said you liked? Because that is actually a fact. "This thing is likeable" would be an opinion.

• Like Like x 1