• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is this patronizing, or am I overthinking things?

I don't see how this either demonstrates "relativism" or "agree to disagree." The lady is flat out stating that he's wrong and she has no respect for him. You don't say something like that to anybody if you think they might be right or if you think they are wrong but still hold them in high regard.

Genuine respect is a rare thing in this world.

It could be worse. 9 times out of 10, I get the rejoinder “Opinions are like assholes. Everybody has one, and they all stink!” (Which is why I seldom express my opinion, since most people consider me to be an ass. They’re ALWAYS RIGHT, AND I’M ALWAYS WRONG, EVEN IF I CAN PROVE 50 WAYS TO SUNDAY THAT I WAS RIGHT!)

"That's your opinion" is another way of saying "you're wrong." It would annoy me too. It's very dismissive IMO.

They're probably agreeing to disagree, whilst coming off a little passive aggressive in the process.

Ed

Wow that sounds genuinely annoying. I have a feeling she is doing this in order to not be confrontational or something and just uses it as a cop out.

I'm maybe misinterpreting this. Is she saying this about actual opinions that could in some vein be considered controversial, or things like "I think ramen is delicious"? lol.

Regardless, that sounds very irritating. Perhaps it's just her version of one of those phrases people say to ensure others that they're listening, like "cool" or "interesting", and she doesn't understand that it can be taken to insinuate passive-aggressive questioning of others?

Does she mean that it's your opinion that you like the thing you said you liked? Because that is actually a fact. "This thing is likeable" would be an opinion.

Somebody I know has developed a saying that is seriously getting on my nerves. Whenever I say I like something, or whenever I state that I am pleased with anything, she responds with, "That's your opinion."

I told her I found that to be patronizing, so she doubled down and stated that it was not really patronizing, she was just saying that I had my opinions that differed from everybody else's.

Maybe this woman is more autistic than I am. Who knows? I find it annoying the way she says it, though. Yes, I know it is my opinion, no need to bring it up like that.

I would not be around that person for very long. I agree with Kalinychta that it sounds passive-aggressive. Yet, I could very wrong in that assumption. My wife can come across passive-aggressive and it rubs me like broken glass across my back...then becomes very confusing because she says that's not the way it was intended. So I end up confused and angry because I am not able to decipher the intent.

From my perspective, that what it SEEMS to me...passive-aggression.

When someone says "That's your opinion" they are often saying they don't respect your opinion. There's an unspoken "just" in there which serves to belittle what you said. Often signified by an emphasis on the word "your." This is just expressing disrespect for you without literally saying, "You're full of it."

"That's [just] your opinion. [I have no respect for it.]"

On rare occasions, they may be confirming that something is your complete opinion. Like when they asked for your opinion and end by saying that to confirm you have no more to say on the subject.

"That's your [full] opinion?" Or maybe, "That's your [final] opinion?"

Just changing the inflection slightly can change the meaning of the statement. Inflecting it slightly differently would indicate surprise you held such a notion.

"That's [really] your opinion???"

One has to use context, inflection, and the previous history to know for sure. But my experience signifies a lack of respect for what you think. I usually think of "passive-aggressive" as being controlling through inaction, so I don't think the statement qualifies.

One has to use context, inflection, and the previous history to know for sure. But my experience signifies a lack of respect for what you think. I usually think of "passive-aggressive" as being controlling through inaction, so I don't think the statement qualifies.

Wouldn't it be in this instance one of control? If one is to "brow-beat" with the reply of "that's your opinion", it seems that the intent is one of superiority, thus controlling without action. I think we'll never know due to not observing the event or understanding those involved. :)

Reply like this the next time : ''Really?? For a moment I thought it was the neighbor's..thanks for stating the obvious''. Sometimes communicating with certain people in their language is the only way for them to get it together.

20210223_193914.jpg

I've noticed my Mum says this when she can't be bothered arguing with my dad anymore. When they both disagree, but both are just stating their perspective. They are very different people and view things very differently.

She ends it with, "well that's your opinion".

It means, "I've had enough now, shut up".

Somebody I know has developed a saying that is seriously getting on my nerves. Whenever I say I like something, or whenever I state that I am pleased with anything, she responds with, "That's your opinion."

I told her I found that to be patronizing, so she doubled down and stated that it was not really patronizing, she was just saying that I had my opinions that differed from everybody else's.

Maybe this woman is more autistic than I am. Who knows? I find it annoying the way she says it, though. Yes, I know it is my opinion, no need to bring it up like that.
All I can say is this, if I told someone I liked something and they said "That's your opinion" it does sound a bit hostile.
It does also depend on the tone of voice they use.
Use your intuition to look at other things she says, her general demeanour.
Some people with buried anger can come across as snappy/condescending/passive aggressive/aggressive etc.
If she is the sort to get stressed out quickly that says a lot.

New Threads

Top Bottom