• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it possible I have Asperger's?

RainbowStar

I'm feeling very conflicted. I've never been diagnosed, evaluated, or anything related to the autism spectrum. From what people tell me, I know I seem slightly odd to others in my behavior, but not enough for them to think much of it. I do know I've always felt different, but I think most people feel like that, so I don't know. What happened recently was that, out of curiosity, I went online and researched a bit about Asperger's. When I got to lists of symptoms, I found nearly all of them fit me. Now, I know self diagnosis is often inaccurate, so I came here to ask people with personal experience if I might have Asperger's. I'm going to list the behaviors I have that might be associated with Asperger's.

-Bad at understanding social cues. I do understand many social nuances now, but I had to learn them from experience - as a kid, I had a very difficult time understanding any of it.

-Disliking changes in routine. I'm better about it now, but again, it's a learned thing from being around people who hate routines. One thing that stands out to me is that, as a kid, I would write down a schedule (down to the minute) and one day, when I woke up late and didn't have time for the first activity, I had a full on meltdown. Apparently I was inconsolable for a while.

-Appear to lack empathy. This one, I hate it. I hate it with a passion. I have a difficult time showing my emotions, especially positive ones (leading people to think I'm not having a good time when I am) but the empathy thing? I would go so far as to say I feel *more* empathy than most people; it's so, so strong, but it just doesn't show. I seem cold and I can't figure out how to change that.

-Inability to recognize sarcasm or other important changes in tone/pitch. That one can be extremely embarrassing. I make it a point to really try to figure out whether each thing people say is sarcasm or a joke. I fail a lot of the time. It simply doesn't connect.

-Formal speaking style. I feel like this one may not be related to Asperger's in my case, if I have it, but who knows, maybe it is. I have difficulty pulling words out of my head. I lose my train of thought or just can't remember the most basic of words incredibly frequently. So I use synonyms, which sound very formal a lot of the time.

-Talk a lot and have one sided conversations. THIS. As a kid, I was known as the chatterbox. I would talk...and talk...and talk. Not necessarily about things that interested others, but I LOVED it. Now, I have mild social anxiety (diagnosed) so I talk less for fear of others hating me for it. But when I'm comfortable with someone, I can go on these long one sided discussions and not really notice when the other person wants to leave until they outright say it. That can get awkward.

-Avoiding eye contact. I can never figure out how much eye contact is the "right" amount, but it just seems so awkward and strange to me! I'll look people in the eye at first, but I'll nearly always look away quickly after that. It feels wrong.

-Unusual facial expressions. This one I don't notice until it's pointed out or I look in a mirror, but I definitely make faces that are inappropriate for the time.

-Preoccupied with a few interests. This one isn't very extreme, but I do have few true interests, and they're fairly unusual (for example, diseases and disorders - hence, my random search about Asperger's, which led me to this.)

-Delayed motor development. THIS. I started walking late, which was the first sign. (I had been talking - fluently, mind you - for a good 5-6 months before I could walk.) I have terrible coordination, and I always say my depth perception is bad, but it's not so much poor depth perception as it is not being able to move my body correctly to avoid hitting objects. I also have very slow reflexes, although I'm not sure if that has to do with this. And when I try to combine movements, like serving in volleyball, it gets all mixed up and I fail miserably.

-Heightened sensitivity. I've been self diagnosed with several sensory processing disorders for quite some time now, and I've done quite a bit of research on them. I'll skip the ones that aren't about heightened sensitivity for now, but I do have a lot of trouble with all 5 senses. Crowds overwhelm me so much that I can't function due to the noises and smells. Perfumes and such not only set off my allergies, but overwhelm me to the point where I have to leave. I'm better with tastes now, but still, if I dislike a food, I cannot eat it (usually due to texture, sometimes taste.) Usually I'm actually undersensitive to touch; I'll seek out different types of touch because I crave that sense, and hugs are amazing. I could go on, but I've said a lot, so I think you get the idea.

Those are the main things that lead me to believe I may have Asperger's. If I conclude that I do, I'm not sure what I'd do about it; I don't see the point in seeking diagnosis. But I do like having explanations for my odd behaviors. I've felt like a freak for some time now, so I'm kind of hoping I have this as an explanation.

Short answer: yes, it’s possible, but you ought to see a healthcare professional with questions like this. Basing a suspected diagnosis on how someone presents themselves I’m in a story online is iffy, and we’re not qualified to diagnose you anyway.

Let's just say this would be a good place to start. To compare your traits, behaviors and experiences with others here. Perhaps also take some of the available tests online, though they are just tools as opposed to objective methods of diagnosis.

Based on your description, it certainly sounds plausible.

Have you tried the AQ (Autism Quotient) test? It's a test that checks whether you have attributes that are typically associated with ASD. You can find it here:
Autism Spectrum Quotient

On the test, a score of 26-31 is a borderline result, and 32+ is probable ASD. It's still not an official diagnosis though; all it does is check whether you have traits typically associated with ASD. It's possible to have these traits but not have ASD, and it's also possible to not have these traits but still have ASD.

You can find more information about interpreting the results here:
Interpreting AQ Score: Aspergers Test Quiz Results Meaning

You could always take that list to a doctor and see what they say about it? It certainly sounds likely to me.

Based on your description, it certainly sounds plausible.

Have you tried the AQ (Autism Quotient) test? It's a test that checks whether you have attributes that are typically associated with ASD. You can find it here:
Autism Spectrum Quotient

On the test, a score of 26-31 is a borderline result, and 32+ is probable ASD. It's still not an official diagnosis though; all it does is check whether you have traits typically associated with ASD. It's possible to have these traits but not have ASD, and it's also possible to not have these traits but still have ASD.

You can find more information about interpreting the results here:
Interpreting AQ Score: Aspergers Test Quiz Results Meaning

I was excited to do this test. However, there was nothing when I pressed “score my answers.” Link does not work!

That's pretty much how I figured out mine. I also read a bunch of books on it, and even things I didn't think applied to Aspergers were still fitting me.

In my case, a formal diagnosis won't do any good, I am who I am, label or not. I don't expect any special treatment for the label. And at least for my life situation in the next year, I'd rather not have an official label.

But it is nice knowing why I've been this way, that I'm not just messed up, but it's a well known condition. And it's nice coming to a place like this and seeing a bunch of people in one place who are similar.

The link did work for me, and I got a 37 out of 50.

I do understand that I can't get a diagnosis or totally accurate conclusion without a doctor or psychologist, but I'm not looking for a diagnosis.

What I'm here for is to get an idea of whether I'm like this because of a good reason, and not just...me being broken or something. Because that's how it feels a lot of the time.

I'm just going to say this now: I have no plans to see a doctor or psychologist about this. I might in the future, but for now, I don't feel like causing a stir.

The self test also mentioned a lot about enjoying social situations. Getting overwhelmed easily and not knowing how to act properly around people doesn't stop me from craving friendship. I do have a lot of friends and I enjoy social outings. So those are the main questions that pointed to me not having Aspergers.

The test also had questions about imagination, which reminded me about how, as a child, I didn't understand playing with toys. At all. My parents thought it was odd but didn't read much into it, since I had other activities I enjoyed.

If nothing else, reading up about Aspergers is allowing me to analyze some of the unusual behaviors, habits, and feelings I have.

ETA: not sure if this is related, but another thing that happens is, when I'm doing something and someone tries to get my attention, it usually takes a few tries. I might be vaguely aware of what's going on, but not on a fully conscious level. Really, any distractions from whatever I'm doing make me irrationally angry - it disrupts my flow and/or concentration. Which kind of leads into my complete lack of ability to multitask - I simply can't focus on more than one thing at a time, no matter what. Oops, that's 3 things. I meant to add only one.

Last edited:
So, yeah...did this test I saw in another thread, and the results point to probably having Aspergers as well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-04-23-13-24-03.png
    Screenshot_2018-04-23-13-24-03.png
    99.9 KB · Views: 0
I showed the results to my mom, and she had zero reaction. None. So I changed the topic and we didn't bring it up again. Based on the past, she either thinks I'm being a hypochondriac again (quite possible, if I'm being honest - I overthink things and accidentally make up symptoms a lot of the time) or she already knew it was true but either doesn't think it's important or thinks it's just a combination of other mirroring things (sensory processing disorders, social anxiety, etc.) The last possibility is she didn't understand what the results meant (she did ask what the graph meant; maybe she didn't see the text saying that I'm most likely an Aspie.) Whatever the reason, I'm going to let it go, because clearly she doesn't think it's important, and I trust her judgment.

Based on the past, she either thinks I'm being a hypochondriac again (quite possible, if I'm being honest - I overthink things and accidentally make up symptoms a lot of the time) or she already knew it was true but either doesn't think it's important or thinks it's just a combination of other mirroring things (sensory processing disorders, social anxiety, etc.)

Overthinking things is very common among those with ASD!
:D

When I first mentioned the possibility of having ASD to my parents, their initial reaction was that they weren't surprised, even though I was 36 years old at the time and nobody had ever suggested that I might in the past. I guess they had seen enough of me that the dots connected for them quite easily.

That said, any time that I suggest to them that a specific behaviour that I have might be related to it, they almost never seem to be willing to accept behaviour could be related to it. For example, I've been struggling with nail biting for years (much longer than I've known I have ASD). They accept that it's a hard habit to break, but they don't accept that ASD might make it even harder.

Well...if overthinking things is common with ASD, I certainly have that symptom. I overthink things to the point where I have no idea what's real and what's in my head, with no possibility of returning to what's factual. Anyway, thanks for your response; that helped me. Plus, *I* don't like the idea of (and am shocked by) possibly being on the spectrum...it shouldn't be a shock if my mom feels the same (and maybe wants to deny the possibility.)

It was very much a shock me me when I found out too, after living for 36 years having never even heard of High Functioning Autism or Asperger's. At first, I really didn't like the idea of it either, but by the time I actually got my diagnosis it was quite a relief because it gave a good explanation for the difficulties I have and why I'd felt "different" all my life.

And yet I still have some trouble fully accepting the diagnosis - I still find myself doubting it every so often. It probably has to do with the fact that it doesn't "feel" any different to have the diagnosis.

Sort of funny - I felt different all my life, and then when I get an explanation for that difference, I don't easily accept the explanation.

New Threads

Top Bottom