• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it okay to be obsessed with your crush?

Why do you guys seem to think I'm a stalker? I only really did one stalkerish thing which was quite a few months ago and before I started getting along with her. I don't feel the need to stalk her.

What makes you think that I don't have permission to have these photos? I got some from the internet and some from Physie Concert videos.

Last edited:
You're seeking validation for your behavior. You won't get it here.

Sorry to be crude and a bit offensive, but you need to seek help.
There's no use in sugar coating it, if you're not going to listen to reason.

This is for your own good. Be smart.

I'm almost certain that she would be distraught. Don't make this about her. This is about your extreme behavior and what we're suggesting you do about it. You asked for our opinions, but you're only hearing what you want to hear.

That's . . . not how that works. You can't expect to just sweep this under the rug. Hiding the evidence doesn't make it okay.

We're not concerned about the fact you have a few photos of your friends. This is about having over three hundred photos of a woman you don't know---some of which you took without her permission, and all made into a sort of shrine without her knowledge.

Get help.

@ Ereth: I admire your very sane & well-reasoned efforts at helping Ruby & helping Ruby see that her behaviour is well into the range of unhealthy. I hope she thinks it over & takes your advice.

Why do you guys seem to think I'm a stalker? I only really did one stalkerish thing which was quite a few months ago and before I started getting along with her. I don't feel the need to stalk her.

I think we've said all we can at this point. If you can't trust our advice, talk to your family. See what your parents and sister have to say. But I, and everyone else who posted, did so because you started the thread asking for our opinions on this matter. I'm not going to tell you what you're doing is healthy, because it's not. And I'm not going to apologize for being honest with you.

What makes you think that I don't have permission to have these photos? I got some from the internet and some from Physie Concert videos.

Well, I can't say what permission you may or may not need for photos from the Internet, but I promise you that if this woman knew what you were doing with them, she would think twice before posting any more. This is the kind of stuff that keeps me from using social media much, as backward as that's made me. I will never post photos on the Internet that aren't private.

The photograph you took in person is definitely something for which you should have asked permission. That's just rude, to say nothing of the greater consequences that we've been trying to help you understand.

I'm sorry for seeking so much. I do that a lot with issues because I need better explaining and reasoning which people don't seem to be able to give. I just don't really understand, this isn't clear to me and I don't know what to think, feel or do. I was kind of looking for someone to agree with me and I assumed this type of behaviour would be more normal. I don't have bad intentions, I just really like this woman.

Last edited:
Hi ruby, I understand.

I think what makes this different from other things is that it does impinge on the rights of another person. I'm not saying you have bad intentions, it's just that it does appear to cross a line. I would really really hate for you to get in trouble for this.

You will feel what you feel, the issue is how you express those feelings. Judge included some links so you could see the definition of stalking. It would be really good to find other ways to express your feelings that could not be misconstrued. I'm going to start another thread asking for people to share how they manage crushes. It may give you some ideas of how other people manage, and maybe will help give some ideas of other outlets for your emotions.

Take care,
Christy

Ruby all I can suggest is take a bit bit of time, step back and reevaluate the information you have recieved. It is most likly not wht you wanted to hear, then think about if you were the other person for a moment. It might be a case you have recieved a lot of information (and not what you want) and you need time to proccess it a bit more rationally. Your problem may be knowing when to stop or ease back (we all need to learn it some how, as it is not built in for us).

what aspect would a role model be an enfluence, that may some thing else to think about? I do not think is a case of it but could the two be getting mixed up.

Ruby you need to find a balance for you and your friend :balanced:

Hi. I had a pretty good idea that what I was doing was creepy and not particularly good, but I don't really see how having photos of someone and doing things with them is wrong when they put themselves out there. I also think I have a fairly good reason to have all these photos of my crush. As long as I'm not stalking her, I don't see why I'd get into trouble for this.

Having a crush isn't a problem because we can't really help that. So I therefore feel a bigger urge to have and know more of her than anyone else because she's special to me. I love looking at photos of her. They make me happy and they cheer me up when I'm down (she is the best pain killer for me). I also don't see how my crush/behaviour is unhealthy if I get a lot of happiness out of it and don't feel unhealthy because of it.

I've moved the album of my crush on my iPad out of public display and put them in an app which requires a username/password. Then people won't find them. I'm thinking that I might as well not look at them unless I really want/need to and I'll try to do something else if I'm bored.

For the posters of my crush, I don't really know what to do. I got them recently, they're pretty expensive and if I took them down my walls wouldn't be as full. Those posters also reflect me and if I took them down, what I like would be out of display and if I just wanted to look at a photo of her, it would be harder to do so.

I also have some good reasons not to have posters of my crush on my wall. I sometimes feel slightly uncomfortable and I feel that maybe I shouldn't have these on my wall. I'm worried someone who knows her might see them and get suspicious. My mum for instance does not know about my crush. Once she came into my room and saw that I had lots of photos of her on my desk which made her wonder why, so she asked me and I just answered using the least detail possible. My mum has been in my room a lot, but she hasn't taken notice of the posters I have of my crush. I'm quite surprised, but I don't want her to realise.

I think for I start, I'll start moving the posters in more personal places such as under my desk ect. I don't want to waste them since they're expensive and nice quality, so I want to make some use of them if I like them and I'm going to have them.

Last edited:
Taking photos of someone without their consent is infringing on their personal space. How would you feel about it if someone did that to you?

Hi. I had a pretty good idea that what I was doing was creepy and not particularly good

I also have some good reasons not to have posters of my crush on my wall. I sometimes feel slightly uncomfortable and I feel that maybe I shouldn't have these on my wall. I'm worried someone who knows her might see them and get suspicious.

I think for I start, I'll start moving the posters in more personal places such as under my desk ect.

You already know you are doing something wrong. That's a start. Don't stop.

Consider one more thing. In as innocent as your affections might sound at times, did it ever occur to you that a minor having affections towards an unrelated adult could legally and professionally compromise the adult ?

If the authorities were to inadvertently be involved over what amounted to a complete misunderstanding, who do you think your mother would side with? Who do you think the authorities are most likely to believe? You're still a minor, with little understanding of how ugly such things can get in an adult world.

In my state I've seen two female high school teachers go to prison over such circumstances. PRISON.

Ruby: just keep on working on your dependancy on your friend a bit at a time. You have made a start by removing them from your facebook page. Maybe the next stage is to reduce the number of photos to a few special ones when you need a lift. Would you prefer to be able to spend time with her, than only having the photos and poisoned the friendship.

We are all here to help you, if we can.

I would rather spend time with her, but the problem is that we can't be friends next year because we're in a different class. I can only have small talk with her if anything.

Hi. I had a pretty good idea that what I was doing was creepy and not particularly good, but I don't really see how having photos of someone and doing things with them is wrong when they put themselves out there. I also think I have a fairly good reason to have all these photos of my crush. As long as I'm not stalking her, I don't see why I'd get into trouble for this.

But it's NOT a good reason, and we've defined for you what stalking is, legally, under Australia law (though you'll have to find the specifics for your own state/territory).

Having a crush isn't a problem because we can't really help that. So I therefore feel a bigger urge to have and know more of her than anyone else because she's special to me. I love looking at photos of her. They make me happy and they cheer me up when I'm down (she is the best pain killer for me). I also don't see how my crush/behaviour is unhealthy if I get a lot of happiness out of it and don't feel unhealthy because of it.

Having a crush is a problem when it becomes an obsession. You can't use this as a crutch to make yourself feel better. It simply doesn't address the root of the problem.

I've moved the album of my crush on my iPad out of public display and put them in an app which requires a username/password. Then people won't find them. I'm thinking that I might as well not look at them unless I really want/need to and I'll try to do something else if I'm bored.

Again, hiding them won't help you resolve this issue. You're just in denial. I don't know what else to tell you. I get that this is difficult for you to understand, but you can't live your life in a healthy way if you're obsessed with this woman.

For the posters of my crush, I don't really know what to do. I got them recently, they're pretty expensive and if I took them down my walls wouldn't be as full. Those posters also reflect me and if I took them down, what I like would be out of display and if I just wanted to look at a photo of her, it would be harder to do so.

You could get posters of other things you like---movie posters, for example, or maybe ones of animals.

I also have some good reasons not to have posters of my crush on my wall. I sometimes feel slightly uncomfortable and I feel that maybe I shouldn't have these on my wall. I'm worried someone who knows her might see them and get suspicious. My mum for instance does not know about my crush. Once she came into my room and saw that I had lots of photos of her on my desk which made her wonder why, so she asked me and I just answered using the least detail possible. My mum has been in my room a lot, but she hasn't taken notice of the posters I have of my crush. I'm quite surprised, but I don't want her to realise.

And all of these are reasons you should not have them. Period. Eventually you will get in trouble. There's just no way around it. Several other people have already expressed concern about what would happen to you, legally, if you found out. You need to wake up and think about this seriously instead of just wishing someone will ignore everything. That's not how the world works.

I think for a start, I'll start moving the posters in more personal places such as under my desk etc. I don't want to waste them since they're expensive and nice quality, so I want to make some use of them if I like them and I'm going to have them.

They're an emotional crutch. It doesn't matter how expensive they are. You need to get rid of them---yes, you paid a lot for them, but that's a consequence you're going to have to accept.

If it is being used as an emotional crutch, you will need to get help. As it will be differcult for you to see it. If you are feeling insecure from within, we can try to help you. We cannot help you if you get convicted, and I am sure tht is the last thing anyone of us wants to happen.
Just take a bit of time to look at your self and try to understand your self as a person and find out why you need a crutch.

We may be able to help you

I think it's perfectly okay to be obsessed with your crush, but if they're in a relationship then that can be a problem. lol. I have and still am experiencing this secret crush with one of my tutors. Hoped one day they'll break up... They got married, I cannot stop thinking about her, but I'm happy that she found a woman. Her wife is very lucky indeed! (I'm jealous!) I see her going about and can't keep my eyes off her. Even if she was single, I don't think I'd have a chance as she's an 'authoritive' figure. She's very feminine, with long brown hair...beautiful! :) *butterflies*

Hi Ruby, I'm going to echo a lot of what others have said but having been both a (now acknowledged) stalker and a frequent stalkee, I have a perspective from both experiences that may enlighten you a little as to how the other person feels. You are young also, most young people have a hard time not being clingy and obsessive, time and experience will improve this for you but your sister and the posters on the forum are trying to save you a lot of pain, many probably from experience with this on one side or the other.

It sounds to me like you are infatuated with her looks but maybe not really who she is as a person. As someone once (or several times...) in your shoes, I can say the idea of getting to know the person and becoming disappointed once I did so because they were not, in fact, the ideal I'd held them up to, was terrifying. In one case I only ever managed to say hi to her (or hey, I forget which I decided was ultimately creepier). In another, things went really terribly for me when I decided to act on my feelings.

Situation A: I revealed my feelings. At first, the guy liked the mysteriousness of the flowers that suddenly appeared in or outside his dorm room (he left it open). I didn't do this for long enough to be truly creepy but it really could have been. I eventually outted myself as that person, which is how I know he had liked the surprise. We made out, that was pretty much it. I went to a show where he played guitar and sang and took a video of it, which he later requested I send to him. None of his friends sat near me. He invited me to a friend's house, I recall being severely disliked and feeling awful about myself, but I'm not sure what went down there. He had been drinking so he wanted me to be the designated driver back (probably only reason I was invited), I got lost driving because I wasn't familiar with the area and get panic attacks about that sort of thing. My obsession continued, I looked at the video of him all the time, pictures on Myspace (then a thing), and posted awful 18 year old "love" poems on there, of course, about him. I found out through the college grape vine he and his friends were making fun of me incessantly, really cruel things I will never recover from. I found out from a mutual friend of ours who had stood up for me and actually his ex-girlfriend as well (she messaged me that she thought I was sweet but that these people were saying really horrible things and she had told him what he was doing was wrong). The humiliation led me into a lot of mistakes trying to run away from feeling anything for anyone anymore. Aside from the Myspace posts, I actually don't think I did THAT much wrong in this situation but it was enough to crush me completely. I didn't know really anything about this guy and, if I had, I wouldn't have liked him at all.

Situation B: I was stalked by a fellow aspie. I've been stalked by others who scared me more than this girl--80 year old men, men who attempted to abduct me when I was 16. I felt completely helpless when this girl began stalking me because I knew exactly what she was doing and knew the only thing that had made ME stop had left me shattered. I didn't want to hurt her like I was hurt, but I knew it was impossible not to hurt her in some way to avoid that. It was a lose-lose situation. I met her at my first drag show, I was 20 or 21 and kinging to a Bloodhound Gang song. It was very scary for me to be on stage but conquering that fear did a lot for my self-esteem at the time. She was in the crowd and had given me a dollar, so I paid a little special attention to her, as I did anyone who gave money. After the show, she bombarded me with heart-shaped eyes, begging for my phone number. I told her I didn't give my number out, and that was true. I offered she look me up on facebook instead, which was a bad alternative. I'm not sure if she liked male me (admittedly, I make a hot dude) or female me, because she had previously been straight. As I learned later, she came out as bi after this and her sister (a lesbian) soon after had become one of my best friends and she would later also have romantic interest in me (difference was, she knew me very well). This made me feel uncomfortable because I did not want to hurt to sister (the aspie), who also liked me and would be crushed if I dated her. My stalker messaged me regularly declaring her feelings, I turned her down very kindly but she persisted. She had her sister (then unknown to me) drive to a Gay Pride Parade abruptly saying she had "plans to meet a friend" when I'd waited until minutes before leaving to post a status about going, had never conversed with her about it. She followed my friends and my own crush-obsession of the time around looking for me, and I think it was the following my crush (who did not know me) and asking my crush questions about me that infuriated me because I finally came out of hiding and, when she grabbed my shoulder, I snapped at her to leave me alone. She did, but I felt horrible about it. She called my friend whose number was on facebook to ask about me, she had no idea who the girl was. This prompted me to send her a firm message that I would need to remove her as a friend and request she not contact me. I did not put her down or anything, but I knew I had to be very firm to get the point across. She left me alone. I later became friends with her sister, who told me she had suddenly turned super-Christian, got a boyfriend and a tattoo of Jesus, and even got a little gay-bashy. I think she was experimenting with identity, had looked up to her sister a lot, probably found me attractive and clung to that.

I felt really uncomfortable that she had gone through and "liked" pictures of me, even pictures not tagged of me and not on albums of anyone she would have any access to as they were relatives and friends from my hometown. It was really creepy feeling like nowhere was safe from her eyes.

Situation C: I have also dated a guy who was obsessed with me. He wasn't interested in getting to know me as a person at all and had stopped doing the thing that had originally caught my interest in him: his art. All he wanted to do was be around me. He got mad that I worked so much, and part of why I did was to get away from him and have some time to myself. He became extremely controlling and did not want me to go to a coed college because he felt extremely threatened by men, but since he knew I liked women, he also didn't trust me around my attractive female friends and lost it when I put my head in the lap of one. He accused me of cheating on him because prior to dating him I had messed around with someone else. When I broke up with him, he told me if I left him he would stab himself in the hand, which he did, in front of me. Later a barrage of insults were thrown my way by his supporters, people who didn't understand why I was leaving him, we were so perfect together. He orchestrated a plan to try to "win me back" by making me jealous and dating my friend, who had called to ask me if it was okay, I had told her it was but that I cautioned her to be wary of getting too close to him for her own safety. I realized later he took no interest in anything I liked or did, in fact he pushed me away from those things. He really only liked how I looked from afar, never thinking I'd become his friend or girlfriend and once he had me, I think it made him overwhelmingly insecure.

Anyway, I really feel for you, this does need to stop though to protect yourself and your romantic interests. I implore you to get to know her as a person. That way, if you like her, you like HER, not what you think she is like. Ride out the intense feelings, try to find more creative outlets for them. Put your energy into yourself. I mean it, obsession can DESTROY you emotionally and even socially. If counseling helps, try it; I think you can also help yourself by finding other interests to occupy yourself with. I don't think your obsession itself is not NORMAL, but some of the ways you are expressing it certainly are abnormal and unhealthy. Try not to focus on the feelings of being rejected or lectured and really listen to the compassion in the advice.

I had two thoughts.

One was yes, you do seem to be overdoing it with this crush. Just because you are autistic doesn't mean you have different rules for what is acceptable as far as interpersonal relationships go. And I mean specifically the area of respecting others privacy. What would your crush think if they saw all your materials? I would guess they would be very uncomfortable at the least. And that is where you need to consider their feelings and needs/preferences. If you care about someone its especially important to do that. They are not just a thing in your own personal imagination.

Second is that your sister is definitely out of line and not respecting your privacy. If she will not stop when you have asked, then figure out a way to secure your messages, and personal stuff. Maybe use a password, or if you have to, lock it up.

New Threads

Top Bottom