• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Is it a good idea to force a kid to eat?

Is it a good idea to force a kid to eat

• Yes, good idea to force him to eat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Encourage but not force

Votes: 6 54.5%
  • Let him eat as much as he wants, and if he's not hungry, he doesnt have to eat

Votes: 5 45.5%

• Total voters

alien girl

Talking about amount, not quality. Of course you want a kid to eat healthy. But if the kid isnt hungry, do you think it's a good idea to force him to eat, and did your parents ever do it to you, and what were the consequences of that?

My mother used to tell me "You dont get up from the table until you eat." It's not that I didnt like the food. I just wasnt hungry. I was skinny as a small kid, but not horribly so, not anorexic or anything like that.

I dreaded lunches and kept fearing it all morning. I learned to eat when not hungry and developed an eating disorder where I wouldnt eat anything for days, and then stuff myself. Took years to be able to stop, and still have unhealthy eating habits up to this days.

And now I see my mother doing this to my nephews when my sister brings them over, not the same thing because she cant force them to eat. But she keeps saying, "Just one more bit." "One last bite." "Another one." "Finish the soup". "One more bite and you can stop." My nephews arent terribly skinny or anything. This is just unnecessary.

One time a friend of my mother saw her on the street and thought I was five although I was seven. My mother screamed at me after he left that I'm small because I dont eat. I think she was afraid she'll look like a bad mother if I'm small and skinny. She was always very paranoid to what people might think of her.

Talking about amount, not quality. Of course you want a kid to eat healthy. But if the kid isnt hungry, do you think it's a good idea to force him to eat, and did your parents ever do it to you, and what were the consequences of that?

My mother used to tell me "You dont get up from the table until you eat." It's not that I didnt like the food. I just wasnt hungry. I was skinny as a small kid, but not horribly so, not anorexic or anything like that.

I dreaded lunches and kept fearing it all morning. I learned to eat when not hungry and developed an eating disorder where I wouldnt eat anything for days, and then stuff myself. Took years to be able to stop, and still have unhealthy eating habits up to this days.

And now I see my mother doing this to my nephews when my sister brings them over, not the same thing because she cant force them to eat. But she keeps saying, "Just one more bit." "One last bite." "Another one." "Finish the soup". "One more bite and you can stop." My nephews arent terribly skinny or anything. This is just unnecessary.

One time a friend of my mother saw her on the street and thought I was five although I was seven. My mother screamed at me after he left that I'm small because I dont eat. I think she was afraid she'll look like a bad mother if I'm small and skinny. She was always very paranoid to what people might think of her.
I am sorry for you! alien girl

Don't force them to eat. Especially if they simply can't stand certain foods. Ask them what makes them hate it. Texture play a big part of my diet. Certain foods are simply nauseating when cooked for me. Eating raw versions help me a lot.
Perhaps trying to communicate with child about WHY they don't like it. Sometimes changing the look or cutting food smaller, eating raw versions can really help.
I hate forcing anything on anyone, possibly because of being forced to as a child.

I was very lucky being an only child. My mother was very conscientious about my food preferences. Also, I wasn't forced or strongly encouraged to eat when I wasn't hungry or to try things I didn't like.

I had many issues with food as a child. I was very skinny with a high metabolism and plenty of energy. I was rarely hungry though. Thankfully, I had a pediatrician who told my folks to just leave me alone about it, that I would eat when I was hungry, which I did.

The result was that over the years I slowly worked my way past most of my food issues. I got over my disgust of food running together on the plate. I got over my reluctance to try new foods. I also got over most issues with food textures and "mouth feel." Now I can eat a wide variety of foods and enjoy them.

The only food issue that remains is that I will still forget to eat, or go without eating, if I'm involved in some interesting task.

My food intake (quantity) has also increased over the years, so that now I actually have to diet. :(

Yeah, I remember being at the table after everyone had left. I would try to eat the broccoli or anything containing onion or tomato. It wasn't the taste, but the texture. I would have small bits then rest. I would go far in my mind on those occasions. The dog wasn't allowed inside so there was no chance of him rescuing me!!!
I still won't eat if someone is too over eager to give me food. In fact I have reached the stage where I'll only eat what I have made myself.
I've only recently started leaving food on my plate for later. I've always felt too guilty to leave it. You must finish it all! No I don't!!!

I was very lucky being an only child. My mother was very conscientious about my food preferences. Also, I wasn't forced or strongly encouraged to eat when I wasn't hungry or to try things I didn't like.

I had many issues with food as a child. I was very skinny with a high metabolism and plenty of energy. I was rarely hungry though. Thankfully, I had a pediatrician who told my folks to just leave me alone about it, that I would eat when I was hungry, which I did.

The result was that over the years I slowly worked my way past most of my food issues. I got over my disgust of food running together on the plate. I got over my reluctance to try new foods. I also got over most issues with food textures and "mouth feel." Now I can eat a wide variety of foods and enjoy them.

The only food issue that remains is that I will still forget to eat, or go without eating, if I'm involved in some interesting task.

My food intake (quantity) has also increased over the years, so that now I actually have to diet. :(

I also forget to eat when I'm too busy with more interesting things. I know it's time when I'm noticeably confused and start to lose my vision.... Then I have to eat or I become very unstable.

As in your own case and so many other cases, it is a bad idea to force a child to eat; instead, find out why the child is not hungry and what their favourite food is and to encourage them with prizes.

I am not a parent, but can imagine it is fear of illness and that is fair enough; so parents have the warning bells go off and they start to push, but sadly it has the opposite effect.

I was forced at school and shamefully I was sick on the food, because it was so disgusting ( mashed potato with hard potato and it was horrible).

What you described with your nephews, is actually ok, because it is encouragement and not torture.

This may be an oversimplification, but to me anything that begins with "force a kid to...." connected with autism is at the very least a precarious proposition.

I don't think you should force any child to eat more than they want to, or even encourage them to (unless they have an eating disorder). If they say they are not hungry, trust them. Encouraging them to eat when they are full could lead to unhealthy relationships with food later in life.

I think my being "encouraged" too much to eat made me a bit weird around food. When I was little I was told I needed to eat more. It would take me an hour and a half on average to eat my dinner. I'd be asked to eat more than I was comfortable with eating. I now have problems around eating.. Do I really need to eat? Surely I don't need to eat EVERY day? I don't know for sure if it's connected, but I think it probably is.

Is it a good idea to force a kid to eat?

No.
If a kid or a not-kid chooses to not eat then without drama on the parent's part the food is removed until the next meal.

cooked Onions like little gross slugs and a few other things...choking down bites with water trying not to barf. :confused: after years of conflict Mom now blends them for me...everyonce in awhile she gets sneaky and only half blends them and acts so surprised when I actually do notice...:confused::rolleyes:

If it gets too bad I just refuse to eat it and go get a sandwich, she makes a big fuss...but the thumb stays on the blend button longer for a few months.:rolleyes:

cooked Onions like little gross slugs and a few other things...choking down bites with water trying not to barf. :confused: after years of conflict Mom now blends them for me...everyonce in awhile she gets sneaky and only half blends them and acts so surprised when I actually do notice...:confused::rolleyes:

If it gets too bad I just refuse to eat it and go get a sandwich, she makes a big fuss...but the thumb stays on the blend button longer for a few months.:rolleyes:

Why force anyone to eat something they're actually choking on, and can only swallow with water, like medicine? Doesnt make sense. And to have kept it up for years.

My mom used to blend the onions for me too. I actually find myself making soup without onions so that my dog can have some too. Onions are bad for dogs.
I used to use water or coke to swallow my food too. I still do sometimes..

Why force anyone to eat something they're actually choking on, and can only swallow with water, like medicine? Doesnt make sense. And to have kept it up for years.
People do strange things alien girl ,when they want things too much...my Mother still hopes after all these years she can train me to like onions.:confused:
And even tho my Autism test was sort of her idea she still refuses to really accept the results, she wants me to be, (NORMAL), whatever that is, more than accepting what is. I'm guessing it is the same with your Mother she has a picture in her head of what you should be and can not accept anything that ruins that picture of you that she wants.
My sympathies to you alien girl ,here in America you would be a real fine catch being lovely and thin and all.

New Threads

Top Bottom