• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

IQ Tests are Obviously Biased!

"I gots da RITE ta do wut Ah wawnt."

This one took me a while, and I kept thinking of the store Rite-Aid, which may or may not be anywhere other than where I live.

Also, you're scary when you're mad, or whatever it is that you are, which I only qualify because I've often said "when you're mad" and people say something like "I'm not mad, I'm..."

Second also, you're unequivocally right. People are just self-conscious, and intelligence is a touchy subject.

doneejuss

This is the only word I can't figure out. I want to say it has something to do with Jesus...

This one took me a while, and I kept thinking of the store Rite-Aid, which may or may not be anywhere other than where I live.

Also, you're scary when you're mad, or whatever it is that you are, which I only qualify because I've often said "when you're mad" and people say something like "I'm not mad, I'm..."

Second also, you're unequivocally right. People are just self-conscious, and intelligence is a touchy subject.

This is the only word I can't figure out. I want to say it has something to do with Jesus...
No, no, no, not mad.
Peeved, perhaps.
And passionate.

Tired of tiptoeing around a subject because of the need to cater to apathetic people with a sense of entitlement.

Dick doesn't like comparing things where he isn't the biggest or best.
Dick does nothing to educate himself, or prepare himself for a better comparison the next time.
Dick bemoans the fact that he wasn't born with (x), and begins a tirade and schmear campaign against anyone with (x).
Dick is so insistent, that people get tired of hearing his rants, and are quickly trained to just not mention it.
Talking about (x) is surreptitiously added to the lexicon of "things politically incorrect".
None of this does anything for Dick.
Dick is still the same old Dick.

Anyone who tries, can raise their IQ.
Anyone who applies what they have performs better than if they received the equivalence in IQ.
Anyone that chooses not to apply what they have in the way of IQ can take offense, and cow the vast majority into perceiving some offense.
Those that they cow can mistakenly consider it PC not to talk about IQ.

IQ is not the issue here, any more than shoe size, or visual acuity, or muscle mass is an issue.
Application is the issue.
Those that don't apply themselves are by and large the ones that are uncomfortable talking about IQ.
Interestingly, what they are really intimidated by, are the ones that apply themselves, regardless of their IQ.
IQ is simply a scapegoat, and the argument is subterfuge.
But people have a tendency to believe about others, what they know about themselves.
So, in their minds, nobody applies themselves.
Which means that successful people must just be intelligent.
Which isn't fair.
'Cause they were born with it.
But, there are people who are born with money.
I mean money.
We tell people who complain about income, and economic inequality, in this economic system here in the states, to shut up and just get back to work.
Yet, I wish to discuss something that people have a degree of control over, and which there are over-riding factors for, and I must
...what? Gnarfle the Garthok?

Maybe we should have listened when they told us to stop talking about racism, or sexism, too?
After all, I was born intelligent, just like people are born female,
or African-American.

In the words of Isaac Asimov:
"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

Those doing the complaining would have us believe that intelligence, learning, intellectualism, problem-solving, and a whole raft of other things associated with IQ are taboo to discuss.
That somehow, it's okay to demand that we stop the world, and not discuss something that they have unhealthy feelings about because of a lack of understanding they refuse to change by... hunh. Study.
Oops.
My bad.
Forget I said anything.

(Don't be a Dick.)
:)
=======
"doneejuss"--- "don't he just"
;)

Edited: Out of respect for Mr. Asimov's full quote.

Last edited:
Ditto @Fino

I think Sidd has just made one of, if not the most salient observation I have seen in these (virtual) pages.

And his translation skills are spot on too :D

10EJ.gif

I've known geniuses that were dullards
--- no application.
Yes, as a teacher I can say that this is certainly often the case. I have students who are of average intelligence, and others who are 'gifted'. Some (not all!) of the gifted ones come with attitude... they are over-confident, self-appraising and smug, and think that because they are intelligent that also means that they don't need to apply themselves, and for this reason they aren't necessarily the best academic achievers. Some others don't necessarily have an attitude problem, but get bored easily by schoolwork and aren't motivated to do it - they want to do their own thing, so their gades fall... or their parents push them really hard, expect them to constantly 'perform' academically, making them do extra work so they have no time for themselves, or to be kids - a really intelligent kid is still a kid, with all the needs that children typically have. The system really isn't set up for students who are gifted and they often don't fulfil their potential within the sytem. Other students, who have average to high average intelligence, tend to work harder and do a lot better.

A hundred and standard deviation are specification limits , nature only cares about about statistical control limits, and even then only with a normal distribution.

New Threads

Top Bottom