• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introduction, greeting, & question

androidysphoria

Hello, my name is Belladonna & I am a teenager with autism. This is my first post on the forum and I am hoping to get an answer to a question I have.

My question is about mobility aids & autism. I was diagnosed with asperger’s a couple years ago (although i suspect i fall into level 2 autism, because the doctor who diagnosed me was in short, a very bad & unprofessional doctor). I do consider myself disabled mentally and I don’t have physical disability. Despite not having physical disability, i’ve been considering buying (or really inheriting) a cane. i’ve been thinking about this for multiple reasons. #1, I have had and probably will continue to have problems with my toenails. I have bad proprioception and run into/stub my toes around biweekly. So.. I have had multiple procedures done to fix them and I expect I will have to have more in the future. After I have these procedures walking more than a small amount is extremely tiring and hurts my foot. #2, I feel like it would stabilize me mentally. I am not sure how to explain this but I feel like a cane would give me something to focus on and would calm me in public situations (which i do poorly in).

So.. i know that no one needs to be physically disabled to buy a cane and use it. But i still feel dubious about possibly using one despite not needing it, because… i don’t need it & I will live without it. In your opinion (person reading this), Should I try to just get over it and buy one, or manage on my own? I feel like there are legitimate reasons for both sides and i’m not sure what to do. Thanks for reading this long text. And hopefully you will respond.
-Belladonna

If you feel that it's right for you, I think you should do it. You know best about what's right for you.

Also, welcome!

1658799540081.png

Hello, my name is Belladonna & I am a teenager with autism. This is my first post on the forum and I am hoping to get an answer to a question I have.

My question is about mobility aids & autism. I was diagnosed with asperger’s a couple years ago (although i suspect i fall into level 2 autism, because the doctor who diagnosed me was in short, a very bad & unprofessional doctor). I do consider myself disabled mentally and I don’t have physical disability. Despite not having physical disability, i’ve been considering buying (or really inheriting) a cane. i’ve been thinking about this for multiple reasons. #1, I have had and probably will continue to have problems with my toenails. I have bad proprioception and run into/stub my toes around biweekly. So.. I have had multiple procedures done to fix them and I expect I will have to have more in the future. After I have these procedures walking more than a small amount is extremely tiring and hurts my foot. #2, I feel like it would stabilize me mentally. I am not sure how to explain this but I feel like a cane would give me something to focus on and would calm me in public situations (which i do poorly in).

So.. i know that no one needs to be physically disabled to buy a cane and use it. But i still feel dubious about possibly using one despite not needing it, because… i don’t need it & I will live without it. In your opinion (person reading this), Should I try to just get over it and buy one, or manage on my own? I feel like there are legitimate reasons for both sides and i’m not sure what to do. Thanks for reading this long text. And hopefully you will respond.
-Belladonna

Hello :)

I think you should do what is right for you. I had a friend who had a large stuffed animal collection and they each had names and a long personal history. She had some since childhood. She also loved her car like it was family and she named it. She had never had a friend (we were in a romantic relationship) and she does not make friends. She lives her life by herself, with the things she loves.

If a cane might make life better for you I think you should use it. I think life can be very hard and if something helps you and does not hurt anyone else, it is a good thing.

Welcome to aspie central

Hello :)

I think you should do what is right for you. I had a friend who had a large stuffed animal collection and they each had names and a long personal history. She had some since childhood. She also loved her car like it was family and she named it. She had never had a friend (we were in a romantic relationship) and she does not make friends. She lives her life by herself, with the things she loves.

If a cane might make life better for you I think you should use it. I think life can be very hard and if something helps you and does not hurt anyone else, it is a good thing.

Welcome to aspie central
wow, thanks. i like that last part & it makes sense to me.

Welcome!

I echo @Silhouette Mirage and @grommet's sentiments that whatever works for you works for you.

A cane can be purchased and used by anyone. It's not really any different in that sense than a Nordic walking pole.

No need to worry about what anyone else thinks.

Hello & welcome @androidysphoria.

Are you still in high school?
Are you in special education?

If either of those is true, see if your school has a physical or occupational therapist. They would best be able to advise you on the helpfulness of a cane in your situation.

Also, are you trying to walk in high-heels...?

I have walked with a cane several times in my life.
Once after a major surgery and currently due to neuropathy in the feet.

It really gives me a feeling of balance out in public such as shopping and in public
places.

There is a correct and incorrect way to walk with a cane.
Incorrect can trip you up.
I learned that in rehab after the surgery.
An occupational therapist can show you the correct way and work with you
until you get the correct rhythm.

A tall walking staff is nice to walk in nature with.
You can get them with carvings on the top that look nice too.
Gives balance, you can poke at something you might not want to pick up
that catches your attention, and they can be a safety item in case of some sort
of attack. It can happen although we don't like to think about it.

In my opinion “needing a cane“ simply means that using a cane would help you somehow. If it helps you, then there is a need. It sounds like an especially good idea to get some support from those around you, too. I had terrible hip problems in my 20s and used a cane for many years. I always felt like an impostor, and it took me many years to shed this ridiculous idea. Don’t doubt yourself because of what others may think. It is very important we each care for ourselves no matter what the world around us thinks.

HI and Welcome @androidysphoria

Do hang around a bit and get to know us better.
As regards using a cane, do what works for you, and if you find in the future that it is not working for you, stop using it. It is a tool, and a tool is there to help you

Hello & welcome @androidysphoria.

Are you still in high school?
Are you in special education?

If either of those is true, see if your school has a physical or occupational therapist. They would best be able to advise you on the helpfulness of a cane in your situation.

Also, are you trying to walk in high-heels...?
Yes, & no, no. Thanks for the advice, i will see if my school does. I only wear boots.

Hello!

Using walking poles, canes or just long sticks is cool. When I was younger my dad teached me how to do my own walking stick to go to the forest. I didnt need it, but it was so cool!

I still like to use long umbrellas as walking poles when its rainy. Also I play with them as imaginary sword. Now there are katana-umbrellas that are even cooler.

Its perfectly fine that you use a cane or whatever you want. As an autists I dont see why should you be worried to be different. We already are different. So who cares.

I also love to use this shoes:
413896ukchL._AC_SY1000_.jpg

First day I had fear be laugthed at, but after almost 10 years of using them nobody did. Some people ask, specially kids. Some of them are interested. But I had no bad reaction.

Just do it. Normal people spend their lives wanting to be special. We, who are special, should not spend our lives wanting to be just normal.

Welcome. :)

(Are the toes separated inside those shoes [like glove fingers]?)
Yes, they are. They are best used with toe socks.

With then you can feel the soil whitout hurting yourself. So while I walk I feel the street, the stairs borders, the grass, sand and all the other textures. Of course its not like going barefoot, but feels nice to me. You can search them by "Fivefingers". :)

New Threads

Top Bottom