• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Introducing myself

HydrangeeBleue

This could be long (summarizing on the spot is hard). So I will just write my initial thoughts as they flow for now (some day I may muster the courage to revisit to summarize/better organize):

I'm a third-culture kid (Caribbean parents but born in US and raised in Europe & Africa), Aspie who moved every 3 years or less until the age of 37. Born in Brooklyn, NY I left at the age of 3, living thereafter in Europe, Africa, Mexico (where I met my husband), Michigan and California (where my kids were born). So I am fluent in 3 languages. People make a big deal about all my travelling and exposure, etc... (which I actually attributed my "strangeness" to before my diagnosis), but I actually hated all of the moving around and missed out on many opportunities because all I wanted to so was hide in my books and not have to talk to people - unless there was something I was interested in (like the pebbles, the birds, the language, the stamp collections,...).

I happen to be married to a man who is "neurotypical(?)" - I am convinced he has to be on "the spectrum" or a variation of it that has yet to be discovered/labeled because he's such a "nerd" - and we have 2 adult children. I work as an educator (teaching at College level) and a researcher (I find Stats, gathering/interpreting data and reading on similar topics intellectually stimulating/rewarding). I've always loved reading, learning new stuff, expressing myself through arts. I also enjoy music - when I'm in the mood for it - and crashing on my bed under heavy blankets at the end of a long day. I'm also relatively active in my church (hiding behind the piano has been my favorite spot throughout the years) and can't imagine life without a personal God who "gets" me fully and to whom I can speak about anything at any time of the day or night.

This is my first venture on social media as part of any group (other than Facebook where my only "friends" are my 2 children). I've delayed creating a blog and joining an Asperger group for fear of having more messages to read/answer to/ follow-up on, which could easily become overwhelming. Answering e-mails and texts is bad enough... But I decided to try it because I think it may be nice to have a few occasional conversations with others who share similar struggles/experiences in this very isolated world. A couple of years ago, I joined a small online group that met weekly on zoom (AANE) and that was rewarding.
So, I'm taking the leap! We'll see!

Hi and welcome, I hope that you enjoy it here and find it useful and supportive.

Welcome from the last kid on the block.

What's your third language?

I guess english, espanol and?

welcome to af.png

New Threads

Top Bottom