• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

INTJ & Aspie or just INTJ ?

I am an INTJ, and Aspie all the way. There is probably quite a bit of overlap in personality traits between INTJ/Aspie which are certainly not unique to me.

But, as was stated above, the Meyers-Briggs isn't really scientific.

IMHX, many Aspies and gifteds register as INTJs, but one can be INTJ outside of those two camps. I waffle between INTJ & INTP (depending on the mode that I am in).

Please don't leave! This site is for many people. Dxed or not or even curious people. The support here is so strong and your posts always make me think. You don't have to have a Dx to NOT be NT! Lots of Non-NTs out there who are hiding because they are not quite autism. You are part of us and we would miss you!

Please don't leave! This site is for many people. Dxed or not or even curious people. The support here is so strong and your posts always make me think. You don't have to have a Dx to NOT be NT! Lots of Non-NTs out there who are hiding because they are not quite autism. You are part of us and we would miss you!

Thank you OkRad! I would miss all of you too so I'm staying as people are asking me to and I'm delighted they have.

Thanks

Not sure just took online tests several times over the past year and it was all INTJ.

Every single quality I have is because of a combination of INTJ and autism.

Can you help me identify what's from the INTJ piece and what's from the ASD piece?
Aspergers is a particular neurological wiring that is different from NTs. (NT gifted seem to have a hybrid form of neurological wiring.)

INTJ seems to be more of a personality type describing one's approach to this world. Gifteds are defined by their high level of curiosity.

I believe that Aspies adopt the scientific approach almost out of necessity, compensating for our diminished social instinct, much like a deaf person might learn to read lips or blind person will make more of their other senses.

Way down the list here before I found this post
but I'm adding my please don't leave us sentiment too.
I see you have decided to stay and I'm glad.
Your posts are always interesting and you fit right in like
family. We are learning from each other. All of us.

I am an INTJ and Aspie too. HFA they are technically calling it now.
Agree with Crossbreed on the differences between the
two DXs. I think the INTJ is a description relating to
one's personality. ASD has overlapping traits but so much more. There was a post listing many of the Aspie traits
here once. I have a page full in my journal that describe
me. The lack of social interactions and sensory overloads
are two main ones that seem to be very much Aspie.
There are others too.

I like the topic of the orchid. While I agree with @Streetwise on the image looking like the pea family,
I get the Cattelaya/Katleya.
Have one of mine as thanks for staying!
Actually a Phalaenopsis...:D
003.JPG

Myself as well. Having been raised in Deep South culture, I am certain there are more of me out there; probably on parity with men. It's just ruthlessly socialized out of women, probably before they are even fully aware of it.

Had I been one molecule less the intellect-thrilled, scornful of stupid rules, artistically inclined, domestically-challenged, and bone-stubborn personality which I am, it might have worked.

Now I do wonder if it was not the Aspieness that helped me hang onto my true personality when there was so much crushing pressure to conform. Because we don't conform well at all :D

Way down the list here before I found this post
but I'm adding my please don't leave us sentiment too.
I see you have decided to stay and I'm glad.
Your posts are always interesting and you fit right in like
family. We are learning from each other. All of us.

Agree with Crossbreed on the differences between the
two DXs. I think the INTJ is a description relating to
one's personality. ASD has overlapping traits but so much more. There was a post listing many of the Aspie traits
here once. I have a page full in my journal that describe
me. The lack of social interactions and sensory overloads
are two main ones that seem to be very much Aspie.
There are others too.

I like the topic of the orchid. While I agree with @Streetwise on the image looking like the pea family,
I get the Cattelaya/Katleya.
Have one of mine as thanks for staying!
Actually a Phalaenopsis...:DView attachment 42270

Oh how sweet Susan, thank you so much! I understand the differences between ASD and INTJ - I really do. I just wasn't sure if my friend also has ASD. He does have some ASD like things going on such as sensory issues with heightened hearing and sense of smell, some social difficulties ( I don't think he reads non-verbal behavior well), finds it hard to speak. I do think he is likely also on the spectrum the more I think about him. But the INTJ traits have helped me also understand him better than I did before.
As for the orchid- I used to live in Florida and had several orchids. I love them and I was surprised to find out that they are relatively easy to grow. Have you ever read the Nero Wolfe books? He was an orchid fanatic, XD.

I wouldn't use MB as conclusive evidence for anything.

It's a personnel sorting device that people seem to take
as something to "believe" in.

It's purely descriptive, based on self report.
Not evaluative, or objective.

I tend to disagree a little on this there is MASSIVE amounts of evidence all over the internet that tend to lean towards certain ASD personality types such as INT's including INFJ's which is (me)...

Its a soft science all the way across the spectrum, there is no hard fact based anything and that is why its often so illusive and hard to grasp... Its also people allowing people to have opinions. I think people should use any reasonable means that allow them some grasp to understand themselves or others, and certainly if it has some long standing credibility like Briggs Myers has...

Sure it has it flaws... but what system doesn't?

Have you ever read the Nero Wolfe books? He was an orchid fanatic, XD.
I am a huge fan. (Nero Wolfe joke!)

For me, it was sensory issues that first tipped me off that I might have some autism going on. I read the book Journal of Best Practices and the author's account of how he gets dressed and chooses clothes was so close to what I do.

I had been constantly told my attitude towards clothes was "normal." Of course women don't like girdles and pantyhose and those razor blade tags on the backs of their necks! But we are supposed to put up with it! I never really could, and actually avoided professions where I would have to. I realize now it is highly "weird" to respond to a bad haircut by not cutting my hair for the next quarter century, but it worked for me and my mother always said I was the most stubborn child she had ever encountered or heard of :)

But my other Aspie traits are not unique to autism. A lot of my struggles I always, and still do, put down to my being an intellectual in a culture that did not approve of this in women. Being a person uninterested in pursuing domestic dedication in a religion and culture that gave this to women as the only option.

I am a proud feminist and that's not an Aspie thing; that's a human thing. :rolleyes:

Personally speaking, I use MB merely as a casual point of reference for others and little else.

Otherwise it's just a benchmark of sorts that I actually give little thought of on a regular basis.

Personally speaking, I use MB merely as a casual point of reference for others and little else.

Otherwise it's just a benchmark of sorts that I actually give little thought of on a regular basis.

Well, I understand it's not scientifically definitive but it sure has helped me understand stuff about my friend. Now I know why he told me that my saying "I love you" feels like I'm trying to convince him of something he already knows. I need to understand comments like that instead of getting hurt by them. Now I see it differently but I don't think I would have had the imagination to see how else this phrase (I love you) could be interpreted if I hadn't been doing a lot of reading in an effort to understand. So now I'm happy he knows this without a doubt- before he didn't think there was anything lovable about himself.

Well, I understand it's not scientifically definitive but it sure has helped me understand stuff about my friend. Now I know why he told me that my saying "I love you" feels like I'm trying to convince him of something he already knows. I need to understand comments like that instead of getting hurt by them. Now I see it differently but I don't think I would have had the imagination to see how else this phrase (I love you) could be interpreted if I hadn't been doing a lot of reading in an effort to understand. So now I'm happy he knows this without a doubt- before he didn't think there was anything lovable about himself.

I'm afraid I see such things in more of a relative light. After all, I also have had great difficulty with "those three words" relative to my relationships with NT females. Yet as you see, I'm an ISTJ. :oops:

New Threads

Top Bottom