• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Interesting theory…

mylife2023

I posted yesterday that since becoming interested in an aspie man, I have discovered a lot about myself and my four girls and grandson. I believe we are all on the spectrum. I brought this up with my oldest daughter last night and amazingly she has already been researching this regarding my grandson. She is looking at it from a different perspective and from what little reading I did on it, last-night, I can so relate to this! If anyone is interested and you’re on Instagram, check out Dr. Brooke Weinstein. I would love to know your thoughts on this.

Personally, I think that all humans are on a spectrum, whether it is a definable one or not. The differences between neurodiverse and neurotypical can be vast, but then can also be very small, and the pigeonholes we create to define us (or usually, others) serve mostly to create divisions where they may not really exist.

Considering it's hereditary it stands to reason that it would be the tinsel on your family tree. Sounds about interesting!

I am almost confident that there is autism in my family as my father's got a cousin who seemed to have it, and Dad himself acts like he's a little bit autistic (some sensitivity to sound, hates pianos, very deep special interest in niche hobbies). On my mom's side great-aunt Linda was "retarded" but she was born in the 1930s and it wasn't talked about back then. She acted a lot like my girlfriend does now, but with a lower i.q. than girlfriend, who is diagnosed autistic. It really isn't uncommon.

Keep in mind that neurotypicals may occasionally have "autistic-like" moments. This is why we get a bit pissed off at those seemingly well-meaning, but minimizing comments like, "Oh, I've had that experience, too." There is a huge difference between something that is pervasive and something that is occasional. One must be cautious with self-diagnosing someone, or yourself, for that matter. I may be the one in my family with an ASD, but my wife and children will also, on occasion, exhibit similar types of thought patterns and behaviors, but they don't have an ASD.

New Threads

Top Bottom