• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Interesting comment from my therapist

I've always felt that, that I'm in the world but at the same time outside it looking in, not part of it.

I can see that several ways in my head:

A clear glass-like wall separating "I" from the world or a clear glass-like wall in between "me" (the person referred to as "I") and the world

Transparent domes: either enclosing the world and leaving the person outside looking in, or the dome over only the person, or 2 separate domes.

This is not to say that you experience a self/world relationship in the style of any these visualizations.
They are the images that came to me while I read "in the world, but at the same time outside it."
I think the images represent various degrees of alone-ness/ feelings of separation.

How close do any of them come to making a picture of what you were saying?

Last edited:
In a previous thread of mine I stated that I just got my confirmation diagnosis of ASD. I got the sense from him that he is not totally in favor of the elimination of Aspergers as a diagnosis. His comment to me was this: (and I am paraphrasing)

An autistic lives in his/her own world, separate from the world that NTs live in. Aspergers live in this world but see it and react to it in a completely different way than NTs.

How do you feel about his statement?

I would completely not say it like that. But on a way it might be the same thing, just less convinced than i am.

Minor changte, to say it again. Autistic live in the own world, seperate from the world that NT's live in. Aspergers also live in there own world, but somehow they see the world that NTs live in. .....we live all in the same world. The question is can you interact with the 'world' you are not part off.

I can see that several ways in my head:

A clear glass-like wall separating "I" from the world or a clear glass-like wall in between "me" (the person referred to as "I") and the world

Transparent domes: either enclosing the world and leaving the person outside looking in, or the dome over only the person, or 2 separate domes.

This is not to say that you experience a self/world relationship in the style of any these visualizations.
They are the images that came to me while I read "in the world, but at the same time outside it."
I think the images represent various degrees of alone-ness/ feelings of separation.

How close do any of them come to making a picture of what you were saying?
The second one is the closest to the one I wanted to say, with a dome over my head. Before I learned about Asperger's I used to call it "watching TV", because I felt the the people were behind a screen and I was just watching them as I would TV.

When I first read it, I had trouble with the ambiguity of reference of "this". I thought "this world" meant the autistic world of the previous sentence rather than pointing to the "real world" we're sharing.

Not sure if you read it the same way I did...

No, you're right, it did say "Autistics live in another world, Apies live in this world". I just think of Aspergers as Autism to the degree that it looked like the same word to me.

I still think he is wrong, though. Autistics-who-aren't-Aspies live in the same world; it just seems difficult for certain people to comprehend that not speaking is not the same as not understanding.

And I think it's bold to start talking in metaphors like that. Therapist may model Autistics that way, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have to explain his reasoning. The reasoning behind "doesn't speak = doesn't understand" seems to often just be faulty logic along the lines of: "he can't speak, babies also can't speak, therefore he shares every other characteristic of a baby too".

If Therapist has a better excuse for thinking non-Aspie-Autistics live in a different world, I would love to hear it.

It is a bold and simplistic breakdown, but it is a starting point towards a deeper understanding. What would be a shame is if that would be the definitive explanation. I don't believe it was meant that way, only a starting point to try to explain the rather nebulous concept of spectrum.

As the OP stated, he just received a diagnosis, his therapist is introducing him to ASD and stating their belief that Asperger's, while part of the spectrum, has distinctions. My official diagnosis read High Functioning ASD (Aspergers), as if tagging that Aspergers on the end might make me feel better. It doesn't, it makes no difference to me what the names are, or whether there is a distinction. But knowing that there is a wide variation in how the condition effects those who have it is very important in understanding one's own experience.

Last edited:
No, you're right, it did say "Autistics live in another world, Apies live in this world". I just think of Aspergers as Autism to the degree that it looked like the same word to me.

Ohhh, I see (I think). So my confusion was over the word 'this' and yours was over the word 'aspie' (substituting autistic). Took me awhile.

I still think he is wrong, though. Autistics-who-aren't-Aspies live in the same world; it just seems difficult for certain people to comprehend that not speaking is not the same as not understanding.

And I think it's bold to start talking in metaphors like that. Therapist may model Autistics that way, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have to explain his reasoning. The reasoning behind "doesn't speak = doesn't understand" seems to often just be faulty logic along the lines of: "he can't speak, babies also can't speak, therefore he shares every other characteristic of a baby too".

If Therapist has a better excuse for thinking non-Aspie-Autistics live in a different world, I would love to hear it.

Yeah...my response was along similar lines, actually. Because regardless of where someone falls on the spectrum, a lot of the difference is in how we see and experience the world, with autistics (incl. aspies) often having much more visual or pattern-based thinking, sensory sensitivities, etc. So when he says aspies "see [this world] and react to it in a completely different way than NTs," I don't see how that is different from any other autistic person.

The only difference, it seems to me, is that those who are more severely autistic are less able to 'bridge the gap' using language and/or logic and conceptual understanding. We are all living in this world. But seeing and reacting to it in a completely different way can totally cut you off from NTs if you aren't able to use some coping skills to make up the difference. I strongly suspect this is why "average or above average intelligence" is a characteristic of Asperger's, for instance--a combination of our intelligence enabling us to cope (and therefore be "high functioning") and our profile of abilities being more suited to IQ testing.

It is a bold and simplistic breakdown, but it is a starting point towards a deeper understanding. What would be a shame is if that would be the definitive explanation. I don't believe it was meant that way, only a staring point to try to explain the rather nebulous concept of spectrum.

As the OP stated, he just received a diagnosis, his therapist is introducing him to ASD and stating their belief that Asperger's, while part of the spectrum, has distinctions. My official diagnosis read High Functioning ASD (Aspergers), as if tagging that Aspergers on the end might make me feel better. It doesn't, it makes no difference to me what the names are, or whether there is a distinction. But knowing that there is a wide variation in how the condition effects those who have it is very important in understanding one's own experience.
This is a very good point and a very important thing to remember while trying to digest all of this. Whether a person is on the spectrum or NT, we are all different.

I disagree. Aspies may not have had a speech delay, but the incredibly powerful pull of the dominant default of the autistic mindscape is a separate issue altogether.

I am nearly always in my own world, unless I work to struggle free to focus on things. The powerful pull of this complex, kaleidoscopic mindscape draws me back, often without my being aware of it. I am surprised to miss much of a conversation, song, or program. Staying aware in this world is a continual challenge. It really takes effort to be clear of this dominant default mindscape.

Gosh, er, am I alone in this? o_O
No you are not alone on this. I agree and I drift off even when reading a book I suddenly realise I am thinking something in my own little world but reading the words in the book
Sometime I think the world is so crazy I would rather be in my own world anyway
I really do not want to think in terms of Aspies and NT's being us and them because we are all unique individuals and I do not want to dismiss them as a group separate from me
Would it be fair to say that Aspies is one aspect of me. For example if I were blind I could call myself a blind person and everyone else a sighted person but that doesn't really describe us all. Does this make sense to anyone else out there?

My clinical psychologist wrote something interesting in his paper about me. I have a way of organizations dating with friends and family like scripted plays.

This is interesting. While in high school before I was aware of what Aspergers was, I often thought of myself as existing in the current world but with a bubble around me. That bubble extended a few feet from me in all directions and contained my own reality.

This is interesting. While in high school before I was aware of what Aspergers was, I often thought of myself as existing in the current world but with a bubble around me. That bubble extended a few feet from me in all directions and contained my own reality.

Rather than a bubble, I've always had a voice inside say "that works for them, but not for me" as if everyone else lived by a different set of rules, priviledges and physical laws than I. I was left to just observe and try to learn, if something interested me. If not, it just went by the wayside, "not my universe". Things like dating, having fun doing things like attending football games, watching blockbuster movies.

I disagree. Aspies may not have had a speech delay, but the incredibly powerful pull of the dominant default of the autistic mindscape is a separate issue altogether.

I am nearly always in my own world, unless I work to struggle free to focus on things. The powerful pull of this complex, kaleidoscopic mindscape draws me back, often without my being aware of it. I am surprised to miss much of a conversation, song, or program. Staying aware in this world is a continual challenge. It really takes effort to be clear of this dominant default mindscape.

Gosh, er, am I alone in this? o_O
Warmheart, Just a note that I have read some non-verbal autistic people who communicate via writing describe feeling exactly that way.

Thank you everyone for all of your comments and opinions on my therapist's statement. I really did not know what to make of it myself when I heard it. I think that it is overly simplistic. Autism Spectrum Disorder encompasses such a broad range of symptoms and levels of severity that it is really impossible to sum it up in a sentence or two.

I believe aspies are indeed autistic but I don't like how its now one big umbrella we are different from people higher on the spectrum. But I know I can relate to these people a lot

I've heard lots of people saying that they're trying to phase out Aspergers as a diagnosis overall, I'm not sure how I feel about that. Like your comments suggest I think It's pretty radically different from other ASD's.

I don't know if this is a trend in the US or in Europe.

I'd agree with your statement though. Almost like a 4th dimension..

Thank you everyone for all of your comments and opinions on my therapist's statement. I really did not know what to make of it myself when I heard it. I think that it is overly simplistic. Autism Spectrum Disorder encompasses such a broad range of symptoms and levels of severity that it is really impossible to sum it up in a sentence or two.

Sometimes therapists make deliberately succinct statements in an attempt to provoke/elicit thoughts & responses.

Last edited:
I agree for the most part. I can go through periods, or times of the day where I am in my own world, but I am definitely living in this world and trying to cope the best I can, however baffling and confusing it might be. I've been happiest and most functional when I've set up my life to allow me to avoid as much of the mainstream life as possible.

This describes my situation very well.

I actually do agree with him and think he summed it up brilliantly!

I have met classic auties before and there is NO WAY I would be classed any where near them!

Like: Ashskyler; I have my "nt" times, but just have more "aspie" times more often. I was at my spiritual meeting last night and felt not too bad and even after the meeting, I did what I rarely do went and spoke to a brother and sister. Ok it was with a deliberate idea in mind and that is why, perhaps I succeeded. She told me before the meeting that she had been in bed with the flu for 3 weeks and it got me thinking and so, after I asked them how long more they plan on staying in France, because right now I am doing a little cross stitch for her.

I then, had my "aspie" moment and escaped lol and sat in our van; despite not many there, I still felt overwhelmed.

My husband often says to me: where on earth were you then? And did you hear a word I said? I guess I went off into my own little world and have to sort of drag myself back to the now. But they are not all the time.

I think also auties suffer less from social awareness and less anxious.

New Threads

Top Bottom