• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Innaccurate movie portrayal

Ste11aeres

It annoys me how CPR is done in movies and TV shows. I mean, it;s great that it is featured if it encourages people to regard it as somethign that should be done. I read about a boy who saved his little sister's life by performing CPR on er; he'd seen it in a movie.

But the people n TV shows do shallow CPR. One has to compress to a depth of 2 inches on an adult, and that's clearly not what happens on a show. (Of course, you can't do CPR on someone who's just acting, as you could really hurt them.) Also, it must be begun as soon as possible, preferably within ten seconds after the person begins needing it, but on TV it doesn't seem to matter how late the person starts CPR.

It annoys me how CPR is done in movies and TV shows. I mean, it;s great that it is featured if it encourages people to regard it as somethign that should be done. I read about a boy who saved his little sister's life by performing CPR on er; he'd seen it in a movie.

But the people n TV shows do shallow CPR. One has to compress to a depth of 2 inches on an adult, and that's clearly not what happens on a show. (Of course, you can't do CPR on someone who's just acting, as you could really hurt them.) Also, it must be begun as soon as possible, preferably within ten seconds after the person begins needing it, but on TV it doesn't seem to matter how late the person starts CPR.
First of all, if you do not work in healthcare, I am impressed with your knowledge of CPR. That being said, I agree with you about the topic. Most movies have one purpose, to make money. It is most often to no advantage to them to be accurate, and they obviously feel no responsibility to do so.

First of all, if you do not work in healthcare, I am impressed with your knowledge of CPR. That being said, I agree with you about the topic. Most movies have one purpose, to make money. It is most often to no advantage to them to be accurate, and they obviously feel no responsibility to do so.
I'm certified in CPR even though I don't work in healthcare.

Cliched locations of films and television scenes in Washington D.C. always amuse me. Many of them being positioned facing the White House or the Capitol. If you know the city, you know in almost every instance those locations aren't possible.

And then there's Kate Beckinsale whose fictional existence as a vampire, is exceeded only by her even more fictitious fully automatic handguns with magazines containing endless rounds. But then I can see some in Hollywood who probably perceive fantasy as a license to be silly. Love fantasy, silly not so much. But that's just me.

One thing I always remember as probably the silliest mistake though was the title of a movie: "Krakatoa: East of Java". Guess they got off to a really bad start given that the island/volcano was actually west of Java. But then we're merely the audience and will never notice such things. :p

I could go on and on about such stuff....my bad! o_O

Last edited:
Good for you. Why wouldn't everyone?
Beats me. It's not hard at all. The American Heart Association points out that even people who haven't had training can (and in emergency situations should) perform CPR. But obviously training, or at least good information, helps.

Last edited:
I always find it strange when Aussies (mainly men) are portrayed in movies as 'strong, silent, tough guys,' who are usually very aggressive, or blunt, in opinion. They are also quite hard people, and show little empathy for the emotions of others.

I've seen this stereotype in several different movies; whether they are the good guys, or bad. It's odd, as most Aussies are actually really laid back, friendly, and willing to lend a hand; the complete opposite of this stereotype. I'm speaking in general, of course.

Are Aussies The New All-American Badasses? - The Feed

What are the Aussies like? - Survival Books

Last edited:
I always find it strange when Aussies (mainly men) are portrayed in movies as 'strong, silent, tough guys,' who are usually very aggressive, or blunt, in opinion. They are also quite hard people, and show little empathy for the emotions of others.

That's because they aren't being cast as Australians in most cases. I'd consider that a compliment that so many of them have such range well beyond their nationality. It wasn't until his third CBS tv series that I discovered Alex O'Loughlin was an Aussie! And Cate Blanchett...well she can play anyone...she's awesome!

That said, could you see Bruce Willis or John Wayne effectively portraying a typical Australian? Crikey! :eek:

Though I did see Jennifer Love Hewitt playing a Brit recently in an English romantic comedy. That was interesting...:p

Last edited:
That's because they aren't being cast as Australians in most cases. I'd consider that a compliment that so many of them have such range well beyond their nationality. It wasn't until his third CBS tv series that I discovered Alex O'Loughlin was an Aussie! And Cate Blanchett...well she can play anyone...she's awesome!

That said, could you see Bruce Willis or John Wayne effectively portraying a typical Australian? Crikey! :eek:

Though I did see Jennifer Love Hewitt playing a Brit recently in an English romantic comedy. That was interesting...:p
Oh, in most they aren't, but in a few they mention they're Aussies, and they speak with the Aussie accents. Most of them aren't offensive, and actually suit the role well, but I have to admit, some do make Aussies out to be real jerks :p

Oh, in most they aren't, but in a few they mention they're Aussies, and they speak with the Aussie accents. Most of them aren't offensive, and actually suit the role well, but I have to admit, some do make Aussies out to be real jerks :p

Now I'm curious. Who are you talking about?

Bryan Brown is the only name that immediately comes to mind as having played some less-than nice people from Australia...but I admit I don't really know that many Australian actors. Russell Crowe doesn't seem to totally shed his accent, and has played less-than-nice guys both on and off camera. But I was a big fan of "Prisoner of Cellblock H" many moons ago...lol. And a big fan of Gigi Edgely in "Farscape".

Last edited:
Oh, there are (and were) quite a few well known Aussie actors in Hollywood; it's just that most people don't realise:

Hugh Jackman
Mel Gibson
Hugo Weaving
Sam Worthington
Eric Banna
Guy Pierce
Chris Hemsworth
Heath Ledger
And of course Paul Hogan

Also, I believe Russell Crowe's from New Zealand, though most people lump us with them :p

Though, in terms of the roles which portray Aussie characters with that tough guy image, I'm referring more to these films (not all are played by real Aussies either):

Pacific Rim - a friend of mine dragged me to watch this with him; two of the pilots in the film are introduced as Aussies, and give the main characters a hard time through the entire film; this best reflects what I'm talking about.

Vertical Limit also has some hard Aussie characters in it - I watched this the other day, when nothing else was on TV. Couldn't find an example video to post though.

During Christmas, they played "Rise of the Guardians" on TV (an animated film), which features an Easter bunny, with an Aussie accent, who wields a boomerang as a weapon - which is a little odd in my opinion, but apparently they wanted to make him seem cooler to kids.

That's all that comes to mind right now, but I'm sure I've seen more.

LOL...I had no idea Sam Worthington as an Aussie! Was just watching him the other day in "Avatar". Thought Hemsworth was a Brit for some reason. Mel is one of us. But you're free to have him back. ;)

I've seen most of those actors...but they all seem to play nationalities other than Australians...except perhaps Paul Hogan. But it would make sense if you've seen them in local roles and I haven't. That I get...and I've fallen behind on my movie watching in the last decade.

One thing for sure though...casting is a brutal and unfair process in Hollywood. Actors get unfairly "pigeonholed" for a variety of reasons. I see it a lot, especially when it comes to genres like sci fi in both television and film. Not always easy for them to transcend one genre to another. Very sad about Heath Ledger though....he was another who could effectively portray any character. I don't even recall him playing an Aussie...but then most of his most memorable roles were Americans I suppose.

Last edited:
I actually never bought the "tough-guy-Aussie" stereotype. There's actually a podcast I listen to just because the host sounds so laid-back, like someone I would love to have a beer or two with. :)

Another, slightly related thing that bugs me: Accents. I've never heard anyone effectively fake an Australian accent. The show The Walking Dead drives me nuts in part because their Southern "accents" are SO. BAD. In fact, the only person I've heard effecctively fake one was Kelly MacDonald in the Coen Brothers' adaptation of No Country for Old Men--and she's Scottish! I also recall Leonardo diCaprio's atrocious imitations of Boston and New Zealand accents. I feel that American television in general is kind of "dumbed down" as far as accents go. This compared to British television--I watched Downton Abbey and the first thing that struck me was how genuine all the accents were. You don't get that here.

The show The Walking Dead drives me nuts in part because their Southern "accents" are SO. BAD.

LOL Oh my. Reminds me of some other English actors as well who seem to struggle with American dialects. Could be worse though....if you've ever seen Kevin Costner as Robin Hood. Errol Flynn may have been an Aussie, but he OWNED that role. And then there's Englishman Daniel Day Lewis...Cate Blanchett's opposite number who also can portray anyone.

But then perhaps this reflects the difference between "acquiring" an accent, versus seeking intensive professional training prior to auditioning.

Last edited:
The show The Walking Dead drives me nuts in part because their Southern "accents" are SO. BAD.
Granted, I'm not Southern, so I'm definitely not an expert on what a Georgia accent should sound like, but I don't think the show's accents are terrible. It's not as if they're stereotypical redneck versions. Some are better than others, and generally, the actors seem to have gotten better at it. I thought the Governor was great. I'd have no idea the actor was British if I hadn't heard him speak normally on Talking Dead.

But hell, I'm a Yankee, so nobody has to agree with my assessment. :p

Granted, I'm not Southern, so I'm definitely not an expert on what a Georgia accent should sound like, but I don't think the show's accents are terrible. It's not as if they're stereotypical redneck versions. Some are better than others, and generally, the actors seem to have gotten better at it. I thought the Governor was great. I'd have no idea the actor was British if I hadn't heard him speak normally on Talking Dead.

But hell, I'm a Yankee, so nobody has to agree with my assessment. :p
I never got far enough in the show to meet the Governor. Granted, some were better than others, but the thing is...they were all doing accents, but none of them were particular GEORGIA accents.

Also: Does anyone else remember David Boreanaz's disastrous Irish accent in Buffy? :)

I never got far enough in the show to meet the Governor. Granted, some were better than others, but the thing is...they were all doing accents, but none of them were particular GEORGIA accents.

Also: Does anyone else remember David Boreanaz's disastrous Irish accent in Buffy? :)
Fair enough. I once visited Georgia during a trip down South, but that was for a limited period.

You may want to pick up the show again---accents aside, it's really getting good. (And you're missing out by not finding out about the Governor, IMHO. :))

The Governor's accent is so-so at best. But his batsh*t crazy is superb. :cool:

In that sense, IMO David Morrisey is right up there with Gary Oldman.

LOL...I had no idea Sam Worthington as an Aussie! Was just watching him the other day in "Avatar". Thought Hemsworth was a Brit for some reason. Mel is one of us. But you're free to have him back. ;)

I've seen most of those actors...but they all seem to play nationalities other than Australians...except perhaps Paul Hogan. But it would make sense if you've seen them in local roles and I haven't. That I get...and I've fallen behind on my movie watching in the last decade.

One thing for sure though...casting is a brutal and unfair process in Hollywood. Actors get unfairly "pigeonholed" for a variety of reasons. I see it a lot, especially when it comes to genres like sci fi in both television and film. Not always easy for them to transcend one genre to another. Very sad about Heath Ledger though....he was another who could effectively portray any character. I don't even recall him playing an Aussie...but then most of his most memorable roles were Americans I suppose.

Haha, yeah, most of them don't play Aussie roles, but they do get cast as good tough guys too, so I guess it's not so bad; there are worse stereotypes out there. It's just funny when we get visitors come to Australia, who expect us to be just as tough in real life :p

It is sad about Heath, he was a good one. He did have one role as an Aussie in '10 Things I Hate About You', but it wasn't a stereotypical role; he was simple introduced as an Aussie to explain his accent. He could have more, but can't think of them right now.

Hugh Jackman's a funny one, as he now plays tough guy Wolverine as his famous role in Hollywood, but in Australia, he got his fame from doing "The Boy From Oz" musicals on stage! I love Hugh though; he seems like one of those actors you'd actually want to meet in real life.

Sam Worthington interview for you too:

I actually never bought the "tough-guy-Aussie" stereotype. There's actually a podcast I listen to just because the host sounds so laid-back, like someone I would love to have a beer or two with. :)

Another, slightly related thing that bugs me: Accents. I've never heard anyone effectively fake an Australian accent. The show The Walking Dead drives me nuts in part because their Southern "accents" are SO. BAD. In fact, the only person I've heard effecctively fake one was Kelly MacDonald in the Coen Brothers' adaptation of No Country for Old Men--and she's Scottish! I also recall Leonardo diCaprio's atrocious imitations of Boston and New Zealand accents. I feel that American television in general is kind of "dumbed down" as far as accents go. This compared to British television--I watched Downton Abbey and the first thing that struck me was how genuine all the accents were. You don't get that here.

It's actually interesting you mentioned how it's hard to hear a good Aussie accent faked. I once read an article about imitating accents, and apparently the hardest accent to mimic, is in fact the Aussie one.

It's supposedly because we open our mouths sideways as we talk, rather than with the natural motion of the jaw. Aussies also get lazy in their speech, and can combine several words in to one, or abbreviate them. In the cities it's not as extreme, but older Aussies from the country towns; sometimes I struggle to understand the thicker accents.

American accents are supposedly the easiest to pick up. It of course allows the natural movement of the jaw to better annunciate words. Americans also speak in a typical way, where as the words aren't generally changed in to a difficult to understand 'lazy slang' - at least not on Hollywood screens.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom