• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Information association...

It was really warm here a week ago and I said, "It's perfect weather for winter... In the Southern Hemisphere." :(

When the southern hemisphere has winter,
the northern hemisphere has summer. And
vice versa.

Various foods & aromas are sources of
stress for some people.

The sweat of a human can smell like popcorn
under some conditions/stresses.

I heard that in the old days they would flash a single frame of a picture of popcorn imbedded in a movie to subliminally prompt patrons to buy some.

I think I still have, at home, a couple audio tapes
with subliminal messages in them. The sound track
was "Ocean Sounds" but the 'message' was, for
one that I remember, "Enthusiasm." They came as
part of a package a relative had received, some
uplifting/go go go/sales opportunity he sent for.

Back in the eighties, a lot of people thought most rock music had backward masking in it. In truth very little did but, there were actually a few songs by a few groups that did have intentional backward masking. Much more occurred then and, still does occur accidentally, it's just how the recorded songs sound when they are played backwards.

Apparently in the 1980s women affected the
style of big curly hair, long tunics, and over
sized shoulder pads. Nobody I knew in person
did that, but I see it now in tv shows and
movies.

The glass slipper in Cinderella came about by a translation error of homonyms.
In the original version, Cinderella received shoes made from fine leather, called "vaire". When the tale was translated to English, the translater confused "vaire" (leather), with "verre" (glass), and thus the glass slipper was born.

The word 'homonym' makes me think of a new-to-me 'nym'
word.....tautonym:

"A scientific name in which the same word is used
for both genus and species, for example Vulpes vulpes (the red fox)."
tautonym - definition of tautonym in English | Oxford Dictionaries

Also, more casually, a single word which
repeats its own syllables. Like mama, papa, mingimingi,
kawakawa.......

I just learned the word 'tautonym' about 2 weeks ago.

In many areas of the world, the custom
was to wear white for mourning.

New Threads

Top Bottom