• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

In and out.

Tony Ramirez

Single. True friend's.
V.I.P Member
Is it an Aspie thing as I when I go to the grocery store I quickly get what I need pay and get out in about 10-15 minutes tops? Also hate waiting rooms and want to get out quickly.

However I am finding in comfortable social situations I like to say longer but in big crowds I want to leave but I am working though that through exposure.

Is it an Aspie thing as I when I go to the grocery store I quickly get what I need pay and get out in about 10-15 minutes tops? Also hate waiting rooms and want to get out quickly.

However I am finding in comfortable social situations I like to say longer but in big crowds I want to leave but I am working though that through exposure.
it sounds like plain agoraphobia not particularly autistic or social phobia

I don't feel as trapped as I use to be going out much more. I still hate waiting and like to get things like going to the store done quickly.

I hate waiting to the point that if I am driving along and the light turns red, and the lane I'm in has three cars in front of me but the adjacent lane has none, I switch lanes. The only reason I would ever linger in a grocery store is if it's Saturday and the new tabloids are out. I read them right in the magazine aisle, since they cost too much. My life stinks, but Queen Elizabeth's life stinks worse, and the poor dear is just about dead so her last thought will be a prayer that her son and grandson don't go to war over the throne after she croaks. I have felt so sorry for that poor woman for so long that I actually sent a letter (snail mail) to Buckingham Palace about 25 years ago saying how sorry I felt for her having such a messed up family. I actually got a handwritten thank you note on official stationary from a lady-in-waiting. :D:D I also enjoy the column in one of the tabs by a supposed "psychic" who seems to actually be a pretty nice guy. Other than that, it's get what I need and get out. Malls are the worst-find the clothes I need in the shortest amount of time possible and leave. As for waiting rooms, the chairs are uncomfortable and sometimes there's a TV playing something really stupid. The TV is what drives me up the wall. I hate TV's.

I think many of us have that problem. I usually have a list so I can get what I need and get out. And often times I will need to make several stops while I'm out, but I'll get one or two stops in and I have to go home and will try to accomplish the rest later. However - when I go to Hobby Lobby or another craft store (they're never crowded) I can take my time and get lost in just looking and thinking of things I could do with this or that and, as far as I know, I'm alone in that store. :) Other stores I kind of have a same route that I do - go down this aisle and then that one and then out.

I do not think wanting to get in and out of stores quickly is a Aspie thing. I think that is a man thing.

Sometimes I do that and sometimes I get distracted by all the things. So many things!!! Especially the section with the drugs/supplements/etc. "How did two hours pass!?!? :eek:"

I agree with the 'man thing.'
My Dad and all other guys I've shopped with or been in waiting rooms with want to hurry and get out.
I'm the opposite. Anything I have to do, I like taking my own good time to do it and not get upset.
I like a slower lifestyle so waiting doesn't bother me. I always find something to distract me.
Being in a hurry only makes me feel pushed and anxious.

As for waiting rooms, the chairs are uncomfortable and sometimes there's a TV playing something really stupid. The TV is what drives me up the wall. I hate TV's.[/QUOTE
I agree with this. And usually nobody is even watching, so what is the point? I always take earplugs and/or headphone and music for that kind of place, to drown out the unwanted sound.

As for supermarkets, etc. I can get distracted and can easily spend more time than I intended. But it depends on the store - some stores repel me and I'm in and out quickly or I don't go in at all, others like music or bookstores I can spend all day in :)

I agree with the 'man thing.'
My Dad and all other guys I've shopped with or been in waiting rooms with want to hurry and get out.
I'm the opposite. Anything I have to do, I like taking my own good time to do it and not get upset.
I like a slower lifestyle so waiting doesn't bother me. I always find something to distract me.
Being in a hurry only makes me feel pushed and anxious.

I think that is a "women thing". If we need something at the store and I go, it is in & out quickly. If my wife goes, it always takes longer. What it boils down to. Women like to shop and men do not.

I think that is a "women thing". If we need something at the store and I go, it is in & out quickly. If my wife goes, it always takes longer. What it boils down to. Women like to shop and men do not.
I disagree because I'm an in and out person - maybe NT females? I'll agree to ride to Walmart with my daughter in law and she promises she just needs a couple things - I've yet to get out of there in less than an hour with her and end up waiting outside.
But I also wanted to add - Home Depot or Lowes it somehow turns around. lol

I disagree because I'm an in and out person - maybe NT females? I'll agree to ride to Walmart with my daughter in law and she promises she just needs a couple things - I've yet to get out of there in less than an hour with her and end up waiting outside.
But I also wanted to add - Home Depot or Lowes it somehow turns around. lol

That is because Home Depot and Lowes have really cool stuff.

I can get lost in hardware stores, looking at the stuff. Picking up things in the plumbing or electrical section and thinking about how I can use them. I sometimes go into hardware stores looking for things I can find for other uses rather than their usual ones. I have an old bicycle lock on my shed door, that's forged iron. Without a good hacksaw or a torch I doubt anyone could open that lock.

My husband prides himself on going into a store and getting one or two things. He also calls it the in and out.

I used to consider myself a "shopper". When I could spend a fair amount of time perusing the aisles for a particular item. But over the years I've come to do all my real browsing and research online.

So if I choose to purchase something I very carefully researched, odds are if I buy it over the counter I too am "in and out".

Except when corporations like Walmart deliberately move things to make it far more difficult to find them. Then I'm so angry I just might leave and pay more elsewhere when I don't have to search for something. :mad:

Last edited:
I don’t like rooms jammed with people and I hate shopping but I don’t mind grocery stores as much though they do confuse me. I always take a very long time at the grocery store. Often up to two hours. Just wander around til it seems I’ve got everything.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom