• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

In and out.

I wouldn't say it's a man or woman thing. Depends what it is. I like to spend time and ponder things in an auto parts store, resale shop, hardware store, or guitar shop, or even the junkyard (which I've heard referred to as the man's mall). Same as many women would do the same thing in a clothes store.

As far as groceries, yes I go in and get out as quickly as possible. Because it's not something I really care about that much. I eat to live, not live to eat. That's also why I shop at Dollar General, you can get in and out of there much more quickly than a supermarket.

You can do that?? Sweet!
Yes, Amazon Prime has groceries and a lot of good buys on household needs.
I do a lot of research on certain things online then if it is available close by I would probably get it in person unless it is much cheaper on Amazon. And Amazon does have a good price on many things
I need.

I don't like grocery shopping, but, I prefer it in person because I want to be able to read labels when I want and see anything fresh that I buy.

The other thing I don't like to buy online is clothing.
Sizes vary so much, I need to be able to try them on before buying. And also how the material feels
is important. I don't enjoy the shopping per se and trying on is tiring, but necessary.

As far as liking to shop for myself, @clg114 , not really. The only stores I can really get interested in are what you might call outlet stores where they have many odds and ends that you don't normally see elsewhere. And some good prices!
It's almost like a museum type experience just looking at so many different things.
Maybe a lot of what determines what we like to get lost looking at depends on what we like to do.
Places like Lowe's and Home Depot have nothing I care to look at because home improvement and DIY
projects aren't my interest. The Garden dept. I like because I like gardening and plants.

My house partner loves anything to do with cars because that is his interest and hobby.
So a parts store would be the most boring place I could find and the most interesting to him.

The overall picture is really IMO in the individual's personality. Likes, dislikes
and patience or not patient.
Driving is a good example. I like to take it slow, take back roads and enjoy the scenery.
Some weave in and out only to be the first to get to a stop light.
I don't know if that's more of a woman or man thing. But, it seems when I have to
go somewhere with a man driving, they are more impatient and some curse at the driver
they find too slow even if they can't hear them. I've never had a woman driver do that,
although I'm sure some do. Again, more of a personality than Aspie thing.o_O

Forgot to say I am not in and out if I go to stores that interest me. I use to love browsing electronic stores however later realizing that they never had what I needed I now only shop for electronics online.

I'm very much an in & outer.

Unless I'm working on a challenge (tolerance/ testing methods to make coping easier)

Or of course, I'm interested in the products the store carries.

I haven't been able to get into online shopping.
There's nothing to touch or pick up.
and I may start looking to buy a particular varnish that has to do a specific job and before I know it, I'm reading an article about the bat cave at Chester Zoo.

I can't 'in & out' online. I wander off.

I don't like online shopping. I much prefer to hold a product and look at it up close. It's much easier to tell if something's what I want or not that way. Also much easier to tell if something's cheap junk or is a quality product. This thing about brick and mortar stores going bye bye makes me sad.

I can spend hours upon hours at the grocery store. I love looking at all the products and comparison shopping. I don't talk to anyone but my family while i shop, but it's just so fun to be at the market. Especially if we're bringing home tortillas & cheese, soda, ice cream, or pizza. Those are exciting delicacies in my house.

One thing I HATE is clothing shopping. I dislike trying on uncomfortable outfits and the tactile sensation of all the fabrics and having to take off and put on my shoes repeatedly is so annoying.

I usually just buy the same thing every time so i don't have to try stuff on.

I do not think wanting to get in and out of stores quickly is a Aspie thing. I think that is a man thing.
Or a gender neutral thing. :tonguewink: I like to go around slowly to kill time as I’m ever so lonely. I often buy the same stuff all the time then I’m out again. I can also easily go in for literally one or two things. I don’t engage in conversation with anyone, either; not even the cashiers and avoid familiar faces if I can even if I like them. However, I can’t help but say hello to strange, but friendly dogs waiting outside. I’m very careful approaching them.

Is it an Aspie thing as I when I go to the grocery store I quickly get what I need pay and get out in about 10-15 minutes tops? Also hate waiting rooms and want to get out quickly.

I hate waiting in line in the grocery store or on a traffic light or waiting room, where cashier or others occasionally looks at me i might have angry facial exprssion its not because i am angry i just dont know what i supposed to look like standing there doing nothing for several minutes, am i supposed to look happy or what NT's consider normal?

Also it never registers with me why i am supposed to stand without purpose what kind of social and wait for something very unusual and awkward to stand in front of people doing nothing.

For instance in pre-school when someone look at you they want to do something against you, same in prison when someone stare at you they probably want to stab you, however in society its considered normal and you should just ignore it?!

New Threads

Top Bottom