• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Im so upset

S0093679

I'm so upset. I'm doing a course at uni and Im in level 6 (dissertation year). I struggle so much with getting work done and going into lectures just wears me out.

I get special allowances to help me work like having access to an empty lecture room at uni so I don't have to deal with the other people. I've been working so hard on my presentation for the last few days and spent the whole day today in uni. I'm exhausted.

I missed the deadline by 1 minute. Its soul destroying to try so hard just to do what my peer group do and then I miss my deadline anyway. I just want to give it all up. But I've never finished anything before and if I give up I'll be so ashamed.

Just sat here crying.

Oh, how I wish I could give you a hug. I know what it is like to struggle (only I've never had special allowances because I supposedly didn't need them). But you are right, it is soul-destroying to try so damned hard and then through no fault of your own, lose out because of some arbitrary decision. I take it there's no way to appeal?

I keep thinking we should all just get entrepreneurial and leave those unsympathetic, square-minded neurotypicals to it. Let's see how they'll do without us.

I'm so upset. I'm doing a course at uni and Im in level 6 (dissertation year). I struggle so much with getting work done and going into lectures just wears me out.

I get special allowances to help me work like having access to an empty lecture room at uni so I don't have to deal with the other people. I've been working so hard on my presentation for the last few days and spent the whole day today in uni. I'm exhausted.

I missed the deadline by 1 minute. Its soul destroying to try so hard just to do what my peer group do and then I miss my deadline anyway. I just want to give it all up. But I've never finished anything before and if I give up I'll be so ashamed.

Just sat here crying.

Hugs! I know how cold the system can be at the university level. Just hope they can cut you some slack somehow.

I'll get a 5% penalty on the grade. It was a really rubbish assignment and I'll get a low grade anyway. I'm sure I'll pass. I used to get grades around 78% (40% is a pass, 70% is a first class) but now I'm struggling to reach 60% (second class). I just don't care anymore.

Yes, you now need to ease up on yourself a bit. I was also at uni decades ago but have since concluded the only thing that actually matters is knowledge, not just presentation, grades or structure. Maybe what you need to do is just embrace the fact uni is like a stepping stone for you but really not the be all and end all of knowledge. Hopefully you can find some way to smooth things over and find ways to function within a system that can sometimes be a bit rigid.

Just sat here crying.

Thank you Total-Recoil, Ive got my eyes on working after uni, just need to get through to the end.

Just sat here crying.

I want to congradulate you on trying to complete the presentation,
some people would just give up and not try.

I hope you are feeling better now with the positive feed back.
We all have different ways of working to a time table.
At least it will get marked that has to be a bonus for you

Don't forget education is about learning. Grades are merely a motivating tool that should inspire you to learn more. Mistakes are a crucial part of learning so to really attain the knowledge you seek, you need to screw up every so often. You need to focus on what you are actually learning, and less on the setbacks. I know that grades tend to dictate our life in an institution but hopefully they wil also improve once you just focus on the learning. Hopefully the day will come when you're an expert in your field and the setbacks will get you there just the same.

Thank you Total-Recoil, Ive got my eyes on working after uni, just need to get through to the end.

Don't forget education is about learning. Grades are merely a motivating tool that should inspire you to learn more. Mistakes are a crucial part of learning so to really attain the knowledge you seek, you need to screw up every so often. You need to focus on what you are actually learning, and less on the setbacks. I know that grades tend to dictate our life in an institution but hopefully they wil also improve once you just focus on the learning. Hopefully the day will come when you're an expert in your field and the setbacks will get you there just the same.

S0093679 on top of what Total Recoil says, Successful people say you learn more from your mistakes as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom