• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm planning on going back to school, but I"m lost on how to.

apassingword

But, I don't know which college I want to go to. I'm not sure which of the three I want to go to. I was never taught the terms and other things needed for it, or I have forgotten them I really need some advice/help

University of Toronto

GLENDON

Ryerson University - Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I need some advice and help on choosing which one, or maybe I should apply to them all if one doesn't want me?

I don't know what I'm doing right now, and I need some advice from someone who knows more on this subject than I do.

they all seem like great places but I just can't pick one out that I specifically want to go to.

I don't even know where to begin, self bump. I think I'm just going to apply to them all and see which one has the best education/classes to suit my needs

I'm lost on how to apply I really could use some advice. I'm wanting to go there so I can see another country and get both a culture experience and an education at the same time.

Its my dream to move up there asap. I want to go to school there get a decent experience there see if I like it. if not come back home and teach school at my highschool I went to when I was younger. its kind of a dream of mine, I want to be the history/science teacher that makes his students love coming to class and learning about the world or history of its people. :D

There was a teacher like that at my school he was awesome and actually made my class fun and interesting. but I am a history nut so. idk. :sweat:

Also I want to have something that I could teach English in a foreign country so I could have an extended stay there while working. I don't want to sit in one location waiting to die. I want to learn something that will give me the means to make steady income anywhere I'd like to go and wander the world experiencing its rich and wonderful culture.

I feel like this dream won't happen, or I won't have the ability to go through with it. but the fantasy of doing it brings me joy.

Last edited:
Before picking a college, you might want to decide what programme you want to study, whether you want to do a full BA and a minor, whether you want to take a bunch of carefully chosen electives. You may also check into classes you can audit or if you want to be responsible for all the workload, exams & assignments etc. Are there 'gaps' in your education (in my case, the gaps are in physics & biology). You may want to take some fill in the gaps classes at the lowest levels to refresh your memory.

If you want to teach English in a foreign country, most colleges offer TESL (teaching English as a Second Language programme) that may be perfect for you. Check into what the college offers for 'mature admission' & what services they offer to suit your needs as an Aspie (usually through the ACSD: access centre for students with disablities).

Where are you currently living? Do you live with your parents? One of the challenges that face aspies is the transition from living at home to living semi-independently in a college at a dormitory. The challenge of having to do laundry, having to get meals at designated hours, attending classes, doing assignments etc. can be overwhelming.

You MIGHT be better advised to stay at home and attend a local community college for a year or two so that you have the opportunity to get used to college life while still living in a familiar surrounding.

As to how to apply, google the college you're interested in and contact their admissions office to find out what their requirements are.

How do you plan to pay for college? Are you getting a loan? Are you applying for a grant of scholarship?

In the states, most applications are due in January and applicants are informed by early April whether or not they were admitted.

I'm not sure how college works where you are, but I imagine it's quite different, so not sure if this will help much.

Here (in Australia), not all universities / "colleges" offer the same units. For example, the one I attend, just on the edge of the city, has the IT course I'm doing, but no Photography courses, yet one in the city itself does.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, look at what you want to do, find out which one has a better structure for what you want and the one you feel more comfortable going to.

New Threads

Top Bottom