• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm obsessed with Harry Potter.

whatJimhasbecome

Yeah. I'm not ashamed one bit. I watch it almost every day. I fall asleep watching it. I think it's dumb when people say that Harry and Hermione should have ended up together...it's completely illogical. Harry and Hermione were both raised by muggles. What they both really want is to have magic families. That's why they both wound up with Weaslies. I like the world within Harry Potter. I want to live in a world where magic is possible and not just slight-of-hand. I would be a Slytherin. Plus, the characters in Harry Potter are so kind. I live near Detroit...people have a certain jerkishness to them that doesn't go away. It's part of us. The magic world seems so far removed from the go-go-go of the muggle world. Muggles are never happy with anything....you can't be working toward a bigger and better unless you are working toward a bigger and better. Magic folk seem to have found a niche...a unique kindness and understanding that doesn't exist in the real world. The biggest slap in the face of Harry Potter is that they create a fictional kindness paradigm that is a slap in the face of reality. I often let myself think that muggles are neurotypicals and magic folk are aspies. Like in the second movie when Mr. Weasley asks Harry what the function of a rubber duck is...That's sooo aspie! I can imagine: "So adult muggles buy these rubber "toys" for their children to play with in the bathtub...why do the muggle parents want their kids playing while bathing?" It's just so preposterous to question a rubber duck but I doubt that neurotypicals question rubber ducks. NTs would say: "kids play with toys in the tub...get over it...why you questioning a rubber duck?" I also really identify with Harry. He's this effeminate boy created by a lady so he's void of most stereotypically manly traits. I also can't shake this megalomania. It's good to watch someone go thru being important while I live a life where I'm only confused into thinking I'm of any sort of great importance. One of my favorite parts is when Harry is talking to Sirius...he tells Sirius that he's been having visions and wonders if after all the bad things that have transpired if he's turning bad. I've had that same thought many times. There are so many archetypes in Harry Potter. There are great examples of really terrible people. It puts racism into a fantastic context. It's given millions of children a crash-course in the Occult...something that most people don't even realize eventho it's right there in front of their face. It's breaking the taboo on New Age ideologies but it's just some movie series, right? Either way, if you watch it hundreds of times, the underlined messages really pop out.

I've become obsessed with Harry Potter myself, as of late. About 6 months before the last book came out I read the first 6 for the first and then camped out with friends for the last one at a Borders back when those still existed. Despite all this I wasn't obsessed. But about 3 months ago I decided to reread them and suddenly the special interest kicked in. I'm on my 3rd read-through since then, I've been reading fan-fiction, discussing theories with other Potterheads, I've even taken to hand carving my own wand designs out of wood. I've developed a sub-special-interest in wandlore and wandmaking. I've only made 3 so far and am starting my 4th but I'm having a lot of fun with it and maybe someday I could even sell them on etsy. The more I read the more I love Snape and Dumbledore in particular because they're just so complex. Theree are so many great things they did that weren't directly stated in the book, but were inferred, and then you ask yourself the reason that they did it and there's always so many possibilities. It's endless and I love that.

Oh, Harry Potter! I literally grew up with that series...up through the fourth book, I was the same age as Harry as the books came out. I attended release parties at the local bookshops. I saw all the films, and some of them were real knock-outs (Half-Blood Prince might be my favorite of them)--I loved the third film so much, I saw it in the theatres four times! I have read all of the books more than once, and despite their flaws and plot holes, I treasure them.

If you can find the audiobook versions read by Stephen Fry, jump on them. This is a series that is best read aloud in my opinion, and Fry does a beautiful job, as one would expect.

So much love for the series, one that is inextricable from my youth.

Oh yes, I have the audio books too, but only some of them are read by Stephen Fry. But I agree, he's excellent. I listen to them constantly.

OMG me too. I am obsessed with it. The books, movies, everything. I have all the books. I have the computer games, I have all the movies. I love it. I grew up with it. I was even told once that I was evil because i read Harry potter you know what I didn't care. I loved it so much. The characters were so rich.

I'm obsessed with Harry Potter also. Got three sets of Harry Potter books, both in Vietnamese and English, and two Harry Potter illustrated books by Minalima. I downloaded the Kindle versions so I can read them every day, and bought tons of figurines and two wands from Dumbledore and Snape.

I got Harry Potter posters all over my bedroom and even bought a fake Daily Prophet and The Quibbler. I also made Harry Potter characters in The Sims 4 and got them to attend the wizarding school that I redesign to the very last details. Honestly, the game is quite flexible once you know all the mods and cheats and utilize the Realm of Magic Pack. By the way, did anyone try out Hogwarts Legacy? It was quite fun, although my laptop's fan was screaming like crazy after a couple of hours playing it.

Sometimes I think that not thinking about Harry Potter is almost an impossible mission. :3

I've become obsessed with Harry Potter myself, as of late. About 6 months before the last book came out I read the first 6 for the first and then camped out with friends for the last one at a Borders back when those still existed. Despite all this I wasn't obsessed. But about 3 months ago I decided to reread them and suddenly the special interest kicked in. I'm on my 3rd read-through since then, I've been reading fan-fiction, discussing theories with other Potterheads, I've even taken to hand carving my own wand designs out of wood. I've developed a sub-special-interest in wandlore and wandmaking. I've only made 3 so far and am starting my 4th but I'm having a lot of fun with it and maybe someday I could even sell them on etsy. The more I read the more I love Snape and Dumbledore in particular because they're just so complex. Theree are so many great things they did that weren't directly stated in the book, but were inferred, and then you ask yourself the reason that they did it and there's always so many possibilities. It's endless and I love that.
Me too, I love both Snape and Dumbledore as they're both powerful and complex. I don't know why but I can pretty much sense that Snape is on the spectrum. But it's probably my unpopular opinion though.

New Threads

Top Bottom