• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm having a tough time finding a full-time job

Ya Boi

I've been out of school since last May and I've been trying really hard to find a full-time job. However, I can't find anything related to my major or what I want to do. I graduated with a master's in communication and a bachelor's in film and media, and I really want to do something that involves writing. I've been searching a bunch of different job sights looking for copywriting, social media management, or any kind of marketing or writing job. Yet no matter how much I search and apply I can hardly ever find a good job, and the ones I do apply for don't always get back to me, or if they do it's with a rejection notice. My mom suggested that I look for big companies that I could work for instead of looking at the job sites, but I feel like if they were hiring I would have seen them on those sites.

Is there anything else I can do to find the type of jobs I want or make myself look more hirable? I'm considering starting a blog so I can say I have some social media experience, but I'm not sure which site I would use.

Start you a Wix or Wordpress blog & just share stuff that is pretty cool--that'd help.
I would suggest looking into those companies, getting to know people involved in said companies. It's not always on job sites. I just applied for a job at a bank but had to go all the way through the bank's hiring platform, not through the job site, so I'm in job limbo as to whether or not I get that.
Those job sites are not omniscient, and getting to know people in the field will definitely do you some good. I wish you the best possible luck because writing sounds like a real fine job.

hmm, i'm in los angeles and i've heard copywriting is a good entry level job. i havent applied for it, so i cant say how simple the process is or how you might go about it, but it sounds like youre looking in the right direction!

do you have any of your own material to provide as an example of your work? from what my writer friends have said, its common to write your own episodes of existing shows so that the company can see what youre able to do with other people's characters.

another avenue might be writing for podcasts, a friend of mine has been helping write and edit a roleplaying podcast.

I’m sure you’ve already considered some of these, but just in case…

I can’t over-stress the importance of the hidden job market and how most jobs are filled through word of mouth, and even for jobs that are publicly advertised, some are advertised for the sake of propriety when in fact the hiring manager already has someone in mind. Who do you have in your professional network (professors, past employers and places you’ve interned and volunteered at) and personal network (friends, neighbours, relatives) can you talk to in regards to your interests to see if they might happen to know someone who might be hiring?

While looking for a job is a job of its own, in professions like writing where having a portfolio and recent examples is desirable, have you considered reaching out to some smaller non-profits and charities in your area to do some casual work for them? It’s best if it’s in a field where you have some sort of interest or passion (whether that be animal rescue, environmental causes, sports for low-income children or anything else). Basically, you might consider offering to do some sort of project, like setting up a one-time fundraising campaign using mixed social media, website, and traditional media (television, radio, newspaper, and letters to past/prospective donors). You might even find that some would be amenable to a stipend, possibly in the form of a small percentage of the monies they received that are in excess of what they’d usually receive in the period. And that would give you a success story and examples to write about – I created and led a three-month multi-channel fundraising campaign for a local charity, which resulted in the charity receiving X% more donations during that period than in the previous year (or other reference period), allowing them to [do whatever they were going to do with the money].

Writing is a field that is kind of tough, and tends to have an overreliance on unpaid internships, which tends to advantage those who can afford to do them, but there is increasingly a number of individuals who are able to establish themselves independently. Perhaps you could start with writing about your passion (which doesn’t necessarily have to be the same type of fields as you wish to enter), which can be a way of networking on its own?

Look into your local TV news & radio stations. That is where many in your field have started.

I've been out of school since last May and I've been trying really hard to find a full-time job. However, I can't find anything related to my major or what I want to do. I graduated with a master's in communication and a bachelor's in film and media, and I really want to do something that involves writing. I've been searching a bunch of different job sights looking for copywriting, social media management, or any kind of marketing or writing job. Yet no matter how much I search and apply I can hardly ever find a good job, and the ones I do apply for don't always get back to me, or if they do it's with a rejection notice. My mom suggested that I look for big companies that I could work for instead of looking at the job sites, but I feel like if they were hiring I would have seen them on those sites.

Is there anything else I can do to find the type of jobs I want or make myself look more hirable? I'm considering starting a blog so I can say I have some social media experience, but I'm not sure which site I would use.
I cant really give advice because I am finding full time employment myself and I do find it very disappointing (not such anymore as devastated) when I dong the job or get the rejection notice or something. Think things will look up. You will have to be patient. Transfer skills from your degrees even if the job isn’t specifically related. Keep applying. Make a game of it. This week I will make *this amount. By this month, I hope to make *this amount. Develop more professional experience in the areas that you want to work for. For example, I’ll take any job at the moment that wants me to substitute. It adds more experience for me and it makes me known to those who may be looking to hire me later. If you do a good job, you get good references. Wish I could be more helpful. I know it’s frustrating. Fill your days also with doing other things.

Hacker from the NSA said you can never go wrong with finding people and networking with them on LinkedIn. I personally don't use LinkedIn anymore, but it may serve you well for that type of job. Treat your profile as a resume'.

Truth is it doesn't matter if you have a master's. Especially given your desired industry, your first job will pay little more than minimum wage (if that) and you'll be doing mindless admin work for a couple years before you can start claiming you're not entry-level anymore. I think this while setup is a scam, but it is what it is.

The good news is (for you anyway), you're not a woman and you don't sound like a POC, so you will be viewed by default as more competent and your opinions during meetings will be taken more seriously, and so you'll get to work on interesting projects sooner and never be mistaken for an assistant who's just there to take notes or fix technical issues or something.

In the meantime, just go ahead and take one of the job offers you've received even if it's not ideal.

If you don't mind me asking, how closely connected are your bachelor's and master's, and did you have work experience between them?

The reason I ask is because while I'm not familiar with the communications field, in business in general, those who get a MBA immediately following a BBA/BComm often have significant difficulties breaking into the job market - no experience to get a middle-level position, and considered overqualified for an entry level position, in which case, as tough as it seems, the best option might be to omit the master's degree from your CV.

You may want to also consider looking at public sector jobs as there may be affirmative action initiatives for persons with disabilities.

I’ve been struggling to find a job as well. It’s been difficult to find an internship that I can get experience to further my education. I graduated college last semester, so now I’m trying to find somewhere to work. I’ve never had a job before and I’m intimidated with how it will go. I try to stay positive and not give up easily. I understand what you are going through.

I’ve been struggling to find a job as well. It’s been difficult to find an internship that I can get experience to further my education. I graduated college last semester, so now I’m trying to find somewhere to work. I’ve never had a job before and I’m intimidated with how it will go. I try to stay positive and not give up easily. I understand what you are going through.

Have you connected with your college's career centre? Sometimes they have leads on those seeking to hire for entry level roles, and where the person hiring is fellow alumni, they may be willing to take more of a chance on someone who might remind them of themselves.

Have you connected with your college's career centre? Sometimes they have leads on those seeking to hire for entry level roles, and where the person hiring is fellow alumni, they may be willing to take more of a chance on someone who might remind them of themselves.
I have not talked to the college’s career center, but I’ve been talking to my professor who gave me the information for the internship. She has been such a big help with helping me get information on my internship application and offering to find other places for me to apply for.

I’m at the stage where it’s constantly the waiting game. I’m patience with a lot of things, but stuff like this I lack patience. I always tend to overthink about how I will not be able to get anything accomplished. I appreciate the advice thank you for that.

Your advice has helped me to try and stay positive with my search. Being fresh out of college sucks it makes it seem like my blood, sweat, and tears were all for nothing.

Are you located in the Los Angeles metro area? Are you a member of SAG? It can be hard to get into the unions. If you were an actor, I would say to start as an extra. I have a friend who is a makeup artist in Hollywood. She did commercials before moving on to movies. Maybe start with trying to get in to advertising?

Hey there! Finding a full-time job can be tough, but don't lose hope. Your qualifications in communication and film/media are valuable assets, so you will definitely find it!

Currently the issue appears to be to many educated people, shortage of skilled, trades going to get worse if you have other skills outside of your education. Special interest which with you education may make you stand out. Us
Aspies have always had to do things differently. to get noticed.

You really got me thinking the mistake your making is you think your education is what will give you a job I had a successful career. retired now what made my career successful was no so much my education but my special abilities.
which had nothing to do with my education.
Are you familiar with Albert Einstein's biography He was unable to find employment, had a great education, not as clever as many of his peers in physics, however he had abilities none of them had he could connect and visualize connections that his peers would never see irrespective of their common education I just happen to share this trait he was one in a few billion I'm maybe one in a million. Both of use became successful after a rocky start so you have to find what your skill is and then capitalize on it. Things are not as they seem took me a while to figure it out.

Hey there! Finding a full-time job can be tough, but don't lose hope. Your qualifications in communication and film/media are valuable assets, so you will definitely find it!
Don't be discouraged by rejections or lack of responses; it's unfortunately common in the job search process.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're willing to possibly move and are comfortable networking via video chat, feel free to PM me for more information. I like helping people, but it's important for me to "know" who I'm helping more and potential referrals only help me look good and can possibly help you too.

Grant writing could be a useful skill to have.
If you need to build up your skills/experience for this, and if you're based in the US, one route could be if you know a teacher as a friend that you could help out, maybe offer them to try your hand at a DonorsChoose request and help make that success a process. Ask the teacher friend to do minimal work and you take care of the rest.

I've been out of school since last May and I've been trying really hard to find a full-time job. However, I can't find anything related to my major or what I want to do.

When I graduated, like most of my peers I had an overly optimistic sense of a linear path to a somewhat unique job I felt I was qualified to do at the time. Only some three years later would I be approached about such a job, though after a complex hiring process I elected to back out. Unfortunately halfway through the process they changed the position I had sought to something radically different.

Precisely why after being unable to land that job or much of any others, I chose to seek the services of a major university in job counseling. I was tested over my aptitude and perceived skills and introduced to all kinds of jobs I didn't even know existed. Eventually I found work after learning about insurance underwriting. Thought I might be good at it...and I was.

New Threads

Top Bottom