• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm "addicted" to math?

UberScout

Please Don't Be Mad At Me 02/09/1996
V.I.P Member
Mathematics was my WORST ENEMY in school growing up. One good half of that was due to crooked teachers who practically shoved it down my throat and may as well have been holding a gun to my head for getting problems wrong, but that's besides the point.

Nowadays in the year 2022, where I'm beginning to have different opinions about revisiting things I was faced with, I'm starting to realize that math isn't all that bad or scary. It's an important life skill after all.

But... My whiteboard easel may now be the most cluttered thing in my room.

Because after studying on Khan Academy (recommended to me by a BHH doctor), it is now full of math.

I think I need help.

Going from a negative experience to a positive one
doesn't have to mean something's weird or wrong.

The presentation of math when you were a child wasn't
appropriate to your needs. Sounds like you've found a place
to study that fits your needs, at this time.

Have fun.

Nowadays in the year 2022, where I'm beginning to have different opinions about revisiting things I was faced with, I'm starting to realize that math isn't all that bad or scary. It's an important life skill after all.

Exactly. Case dismissed. ;)

I used to think i was horrible at learning languages but now i am studying latin. I am far from fluency but i can think in latin about most things.

Knah academy is fine for learning to the test, but if you really want to learn math you will need proof based textbooks like linear algebra done right or calculus by michael spivak.

I used to think i was horrible at learning languages but now i am studying latin. I am far from fluency but i can think in latin about most things.

Knah academy is fine for learning to the test, but if you really want to learn math you will need proof based textbooks like linear algebra done right or calculus by michael spivak.
Si vales valeo, mi amice!

I have some old books with math puzzles, they are from the 1940s, would you like to see a few uber?

I would say that's a good "addiction" to have. Calculus was an "eye opener" for me. I went from struggling to understand algebra and trigonometry-based physics and statistics,...trying to memorize formulas and plugging in the correct numbers,...to actually learning how to create the formulas to solve these situations. I was like, "This is so much more practical and easy to understand." That "light bulb" turned on and never looked at anything the same again. Mathematics could be applied to nearly all the sciences and situations. It was, for me, almost like that moment when "Neo" discovers "The Matrix" for the first time. :);)

I have some old books with math puzzles, they are from the 1940s, would you like to see a few uber?

I have a few old math books I picked up at garage sales. One of the books was written before calculators were ubiquitous and has a lot of tricks for doing mental math quickly and making sure it's correct. I love learning math tricks like that - I did them at a church talent show one time.

Ok, when I first glanced at this thread title, I thought I saw a completely different certain vowel in the last word. So yes, math is better than that.

New Threads

Top Bottom