• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'm a father looking to help my autistic son.

gdo

Hello,
I'm a father of 4 great sons. My second son is autistic and a sophomore in high school. He has processing delays but he is an incredibly hard worker so he does well in school with some extra help. He is the sweetest, most loving son a father could ask for and I am incredibly proud of everything he has accomplished. His biggest issue is that he talks to himself whenever he feels like it which is very often. He can sit quietly in class but when he gets in the hall or is left alone in his bedroom he goes into his own world and carries on full conversations. He knows he is acting in a way that makes people uncomfortable but he can't stop. The biggest problem with this behavior is that it has totally alienated him from other kids and stopped him from being able to develop any friendships.

I love my son and I would do anything for him. I am hoping I can use this site to find answers to the questions I have about autism and give my son a chance at developing the relationships that I know he is looking for.

If anyone has a suggestion or a strategy to reduce/eliminate my son's "self talk" I would be incredibly grateful. Thank you.

New Threads

Top Bottom