• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I'll never be what my parents want me to be.

I have no skill whatsoever^^'

That is decidedly not true. We all have skills and talents and options, even if we do not know what they are yet.

For some undetermined reason, it frequently involved trekking through India. I'm not sure if I ever knew anyone who actually found themselves this way, but it boiled down to individuals finding meaning in their lives.

Yes, a relative went to Kathmandu on her way to finding herself. She trekked through the Himalayas.

I have tried to do that semester at unni but actually it doesnt work since all the changes in the schedule makes me mad and I had one with the worst english teacher I could have from all the teachers available...

And I'm just realizing that I have no real idea of what I want to do with my life, more precisely what I can do in this world , what am i actually capable off...

So at unni I just wasted 2 months because basically I was still unable to know anyone, couldnt get anything done correctly , my notes are bad so I have to rework it like I did nothing...

So I think I have to work on my own at home as much as I can and try to get back on track I dont know...

I feel like i am facing a invisible wall that always blocks me from getting anything concrete done and this wall is blocking me from finding my place in this society, in addition I dont even know if I actually want a place in that society in the first place...

It's been 10 years that the only thing I do is running away, making bad decisions and ruminating my past I'm getting sick of this realy.....I cant help it.

I would have to side with your parents if what they want from you is to contribute financially in some way or another if you are going to live under their roof.

what about helping out with household duties? it can be tough to find work but you could at least contribute in that way.

I would have to side with your parents if what they want from you is to contribute financially in some way or another if you are going to live under their roof.

This is a bit different than that, well my father say this sometimes but both of my parents are more thinking about the fact that I need to be able to handle my own life and be independant , Have a job etc; this is not something that they want me to accomplish because I live with them or something like that, this is because they care about that fact that I need to become a full grown adult.

But either way I am not claiming that I shouldnt handle my own life and get a job, this is what I want to do aswell, but I cant do it, and I'm ashamed about it.

I am not even sure if I can actually handle the stress of a daily job to be truly honest.

This is a bit different than that, well my father say this sometimes but both of my parents are more thinking about the fact that I need to be able to handle my own life and be independant , Have a job etc; this is not something that they want me to accomplish because I live with them or something like that, this is because they care about that fact that I need to become a full grown adult.

But either way I am not claiming that I shouldnt handle my own life and get a job, this is what I want to do aswell, but I cant do it, and I'm ashamed about it.

I am not even sure if I can actually handle the stress of a daily job to be truly honest.
so they have expressed their desire for you to eventually move out?

BELIVE me dear i KNOW ALL about how hard it is to get something done in this world with our specific diagnosis & or similar or multiple . And i lost count on how many times i slammed my head in the famous brick wall. BUT if i managed too do it i can assure you that YOU can do it too. This is only youre poor self confidence talking. The key is KEEP trying dear

I dont know what to do at all...

truthfully, l use to feel the same way, at 25 years-old, a aha moment came, and l realised l would never be whoever that child was supposed to be to my parents, they had extremely high standards with zero guidance, zero love. If you realise that they zero control over you once you turn 18 years-old, then maybe you will feel better.

Stress happens to all of us. Sometimes stress of one job will lead you to get a better job. Start out part-time, when you feel good about that, maybe move to full time. l left a extremely abusive marriage, l find that part-time jobs help me manage stress and give me some time to do chores and gym, laundry. l hope to work full-time at some point.

Ok so this semester I tried to go back at unni...
Ofc it was a failure, I cant stand goiing all day there , and I am unable to connect with anyone, I gave up a lots of classes already and now I have to go to some of them at least to not get a failing grade....

I deleted my old Wow account but I created another one again and I play from scratch, its actually the only thing that make me feel happy.

This feeling that I wont get anything positive from the real world is realy strong and I dont know how to change that at all...at least I need to graduate...

I understand how you feel, I feel like a failure too but I keep trying.
My great grandpa's fought in WW2 on opposite sides, one of them even came home alive from the Eastern Front. Both my grandpa's built their own farms with their dads, they were married and had children before they were 25. My dad is a war veteran, and aerospace engineer and chief engineer in the airforce

But we live in a different world, we don't really have to achieve things, neither are we really encouraged to. Feels like the whole world has become lazy, like we have it too easy.
But don't give up, just get up again. Everyone falls in the mud once in a while but just get up, clean yourself off and keep going. You only lose when you decide to stay in the mud.

If it makes you feel better my dad nevere wanted me in the first place but I'm still here

Hello there!

I played an inordinate amount of WoW and I loved being in that world...hundreds of days played on my timer.

I don't play anymore, sometimes I miss it, but not often. I have a son with autism and two other children and they keep me busy.

It took me forever to get my bachelor's degree. Online classes worked for me, especially one at a time. The online classes had a very specific format so the individual instructors mattered less.

One thing that has helped me is to create a story in my head and work on that. Occasionally I type some of it up, or if an idea pops into my head I write it down, but mostly just build the story in my head. Originally I thought of the story as a sci-fi fantasy about someday being able to communicate with my non-verbal son, and I borrowed elements from other stories, like Tron, but lately I have been slowly eliminating the "other story" elements to make it more and more my own story.

More recently I have been working on a YouTube channel about my son. My daughter loves to draw and I am working with her and hopefully someday she will be able to draw some pictures from my fantasy story and we will make videos of that too. In doing that, I hope to learn more video editing and teach her how to do it and that might help her further her skill set.
What worked for me was to just keep trying, poking around, exploring different things until I found something that could replace WoW...build my real-life character...work on my real-life character skills...like I used to enjoy in WoW.

I think that it is very good that you are here to talk about this issue and want to figure out a solution. :)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom