• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?

Grumpy Cat

I like my personality and I really don't want to have any surgery. I think I would change my learning abilities. Learning for me doesn't come easy. I spend hours just to learn a few things and I don't retain a lot. I learn by hands on and repetition. That would be my wish - that I could learn things easily, retain them and then put them to good use.

Hmm...do you mean things that are possible to change, or are we limited only to our imaginations?

If you're talking about realistic changes, I simply wish I was better at getting, and retaining a good job. When I say a good job, I mean one that gives me purpose, and isn't menial.

If anything goes, I'd really like to have regenerative abilities. I'd never get sick, or worry about any health concerns, or old age. I'd appear youthful for longer, and would live a longer, much more fruitful life.

I would like to be able to stop wearing so many layers of clothing.
How wonderful it would be to be free of scarves/hoods/hats; to wear (this is not realistic) only one layer of pants.
One pair of socks.

I am not "cold-blooded" (always cold) and I am not talking winter or even about going outside.
Wearing many layers is what I do to protect myself from pain & vertigo.

During the summer I wear long underwear, scarf & hood, because to uncover my head brings pain with sick inability to
remain steady....that effect takes about a minute to occur, at temperature of 70 - 80 F. People look at me and exclaim
"Oh, I could never dress like that. I'd be hot!"

I have practice saying, "Yes, I am hot. I am just as warm as anyone else." People rarely understand.

I'd stop procrastinating, maybe I'll do it tomorrow.

procrastination-flowchart-2.jpg

I would like my reaction time to be faster. Sometimes I'll have a brilliant flash of quick reactions, but it's not permanent. Just kinda comes and goes.

I'd lose my major depressive disorder, and the OCD perfectionism that has twice prevented me from finishing university.

I wish I was better educated.

For earning potential? Personal edification? I ask because you come across as being one of the wisest and most refined members on these forums. Those qualities are more impressive than diplomas, though I can relate to your wish for my own reasons. I love academics but I've had to settle for self-styled learning. Part of me will always feel a bit lesser for never having earned a degree.

I'd lose my major depressive disorder, and the OCD perfectionism that has twice prevented me from finishing university.

For earning potential? Personal edification? I ask because you come across as being one of the wisest and most refined members on these forums. Those qualities are more impressive than diplomas, though I can relate to your wish for my own reasons. I love academics but I've had to settle for self-styled learning. Part of me will always feel a bit lesser for never having earned a degree.
I do not know about "one of the wisest and most refined", I think it's more like "one of the oldest and most experienced". I have been around for more than sixty-nine years and anybody is going to learn about life in that amount of time. I also love academics and have had to settle for less than a formal education. Earning potential would have been nice, but it's mostly for my own gratification. I seem to be a information junkie. The internet is a wonderful thing for a person like me.

I'd want to worry less. I'm so high-strung all the time; I wish I could just relax and enjoy the good place my life is at right now, because I have no idea what the future holds. The pessimist in me thinks it'll probably be much less pleasant, to put it mildly.

I'd want to worry less.

I would change the anxiety out for calm self confidence.

Recognizing a similarity in these two posts to feelings that I experience, I thought I'd try thinking what use anxiety could be for me, what advantage it might serve.

http://www.healthyplace.com/blogs/t...ur-advantage-healing-stress-panic-and-trauma/
This short article makes useful points. It's not a 'read it & feel all better' thing. The ideas presented are simple, but require effort/focusing/thinking about & applying. Doing, in other words.

I'd like to be able to be more aware--aware of physical things around me, aware of other people's emotions, aware of my own tendencies.

I'd like to become a social animal.
Then again - that might attract a whole lot of new problems that I'm not equipped to handle :p

I think I'll stay un-modified for now :)

New Threads

Top Bottom