• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

If u could undo things in the past would you?

Yes for me. I think it's an interesting thought exercise because I can see in hindsight how decisions made decades ago are still affecting me today. But I also can see how my mind wasn't ready or capable to make the correct decisions so I question the possibly of being able to make the right decision in the first place. Just unlucky I think.

Yeah well autistics are often smart but stupid so we have to get used to it.
I wish I would think rationally but do not know how to
I often wish someone would take my hand and say this is what will happen or give me a written guidebook sometimes I get scared if I had the guidebook I'd still get scared but hopefully not.
I wish I could find people and situations that did not want to hurt me but treated me well and made my wildest dreams come true.

This is an odd book to recommend given the subject matter is investment. But it's his process for how he invests and successful people he speaks with about second order thinking and how to use it that made me think of it in this context.

Yes but here's the thing.

I wouldn't use it for anything extreme like changing something from years ago

But there's so many moments where I did something wrong a few hours or a few minutes ago and I'm like "Wish I could undo that mistake."

Yes. I'd go back to a single point in time where I might have kept a relationship from unraveling with a very special person. Though seeing that she's on husband #3 leads me to believe that such an effort would ultimately be in vain.

I would change my attitude toward people when I was younger. I had a tendency to skew toward intellectual solutions and lacked patience and sympathy for those who struggled. Ironically, I wound up becoming a teacher. Now my heart goes out to those kids. I wish I could have treated everyone more compassionately.

I think about this all the time. A favorite daydream. But not about me. I think of all the terrible things I would go back and try to prevent from happening. A lot of the time is spent working out the details of how I would make the intervention. So many problems to work concerning time, place, language, clothing, money, etc, etc. What if I don't know how to speak French or ride a horse or get access to the president of Botswana? Where can I get a believably realistic roman tunic? Anyway I realized I couldn't do it alone and would need a whole team of experts.

You know you body cells continually replace themselves. In fact after about 7 years you have been entirely replaced. So technically you are no longer the same person who did what you would like to undo. So you can pin the blame on the old person. Let them take the fall and don't worry about it. Maybe even get a new ID card.

;)

It's probably fair to say we'd all prefer re-dos, but then we wouldn't likely make a point to learn from the mistake. We'd just keep re-doing till we felt it was the way we wanted and miss the new mistakes we make in the process. You can be reckless and flippant when consequences aren't permanent.
On the other hand, if you're asking if we want to time travel and do stuff in the past, where do I sign up?

I guess the only good thing about my teenage self was that I never got into smoking, drinking or drugs. I was way too innocent, and my mum had spent my whole childhood drumming it into me how bad smoking was. I wanted to go to pubs when I was 16 but was too young, then when I got old enough to drink in pubs it didn't interest me any more and social anxiety took over. But I was too innocent to know a lot about drugs.

Yup. From the age of 5, to yesterday. Not self-aware enough of how I affected others. Still true today, I guess.

Yes.

I have regrets throughout my life. Things I did, or said, etc. due to misunderstanding or simply mindlessness. Things that I can see had no benefit for the then present and now future. Things that hurt people that could not be a benefit at any time or in any way. These hurtful things, in addition to hurting others, also hurt me for my entire lifetime. I just hope it hasn't lasted this long for them.

This reminds me of the movie, "Safety Not Guaranteed".

This is one of my favorite movies.
I suspect the character Kenneth Calloway is autistic. At least I can really relate to that character.

I'm torn because yes, there are definitely things I wish I could undo. While who we are comprises of things we did and things done to us...some things I would be better of for not having done.

To undo, or do things over? This also is cause for contemplation.

Changing my past also changes the lives of other people. It would have to be done extremely carefully and only for the recent past. I don't have the right to arbitrarily modify other lives.

Yes.

I have regrets throughout my life. Things I did, or said, etc. due to misunderstanding or simply mindlessness. Things that I can see had no benefit for the then present and now future. Things that hurt people that could not be a benefit at any time or in any way. These hurtful things, in addition to hurting others, also hurt me for my entire lifetime. I just hope it hasn't lasted this long for them.

Yes that is trauma.
People sure hurt a lot and it is the very reason to keep practicing kindness. Everyone has issues but some people are simply too horrible and take too much.
I would never hurt you on purpose and I hope other people realise that you should be kind to others and try not to hurt them.
I lately myself have been wondering if kindness is worth it if people are not kind and understanding back. But I will keep doing my best because I do not enjoying hurting someone on purpose.

New Threads

Top Bottom