• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

It seems like an overreaction to spend that much money and time and effort to get away from something like that, but if it'll make you happy then I wish you luck!

It seems like an overreaction to spend that much money and time and effort to get away from something like that, but if it'll make you happy then I wish you luck!
The point is to move into my own place where I can live by my own (lawful and reasonable) rules, and they are way too critical of everything I do. They are easily frustrated. And they think I am frustrated easily. However, I do something they don't like, and they're yelling at me about it within half a second.

I also just want more space. Three other people living in the same house as me is too stressful. When both my brother and sister were not in college, it was slightly more stressful, since that made a total of 4 other people.

If they want to talk to me after I move out, they can do so through text or some messaging app. My sister has a Discord, and so do I. My other family members will probably try to convince me to get a Facebook so I can join some group chat they made. If you want to know how I would think of that, refer to the fourth paragraph of my previous comment.

I just want to live somewhere where I am not harassed with what my parents think I'm doing wrong. I'm sick of it. I also just want more freedom.

"Crunch time", Joshua. I live in one of those one bedroom 750 sq. ft. apartments. With a 12-month lease contract.

* Rent + water, sewer, garbage and basic cable (Rent increases amount to about 10 to 11 % each year)
* Gas and electricity bill
* Internet and phone bill
* Monthly food budget
* Health, car and renters insurance (my landlord requires $100,000 general liability limits on a tenant's policy)
* Cost of gasoline and car maintenance
* Monthly cash withdrawn for incidentals
* Monthly credit card bills for incidentals

It all adds up fast. Well beyond what a minimum wage job pays for an eighteen year old just starting out. Reminds me of when I worked part time to make a little money for incidental college costs. One guy I worked with worked three part time jobs five days a week. Ugh, don't know how he did it.

Otherwise count on splitting such costs with one or more roommates. And here only the worst places will rent to you without having obtained your FICO score to determine your credit rating. Without a job, be expected to provide a bank statement where they will assess that you have more than enough cash to pay for at least a years worth of rent.

I didn't get this point of independence until I was in my mid-twenties, well after I earned a college degree and still living at home to save money.

Had I gone out on my own at eighteen, the world would have eaten me alive. Unless perhaps I would have joined the armed forces. But in that job, the first thing you fundamentally lose is personal freedom. Apart from having to live in close proximity and a lack of privacy with others. Such a life and commitment appeals to some, but not others.

Last edited:
Furniture, TV, dog, and home defense you can do without until you build yourself up since you probably won't have a lot to work with. Job is important. Consider roommates. Save up as much as you can as many places or even roommates require deposits. Also, make sure you keep paperwork and have contracts for things such as signing leases or roommate agreements about paying rent and such.

You can also research autism or disability related programs in your area or an area you could move to that might help you get on your feet. Usually, such programs are near/at bigger cities or only select counties per state if you're in the US.

The two best pieces of advice I could give:

-Don't think too much about what you're going to do with your money or your job until the money is hot in your hand and the job is actually a part of your life. Things always look different when you have that perspective, of having to steward that money and having to work that job.

-Budgeting everything is hard enough that even very mature people have to rely on others for help, and that's okay. You might be great at it or you might struggle with it. The problem is how often you're aware of the total figure you're working with and how much of an incremental sense you have of how things can add up.

A good way to gauge yourself is to start small and maybe begin assuming financial responsibilities before you move out, or telling yourself "I have this much to spend in this length of time" and seeing at the end of that length of time how you did.

The two best pieces of advice I could give:

-Don't think too much about what you're going to do with your money or your job until the money is hot in your hand and the job is actually a part of your life. Things always look different when you have that perspective, of having to steward that money and having to work that job.

-Budgeting everything is hard enough that even very mature people have to rely on others for help, and that's okay. You might be great at it or you might struggle with it. The problem is how often you're aware of the total figure you're working with and how much of an incremental sense you have of how things can add up.

A good way to gauge yourself is to start small and maybe begin assuming financial responsibilities before you move out, or telling yourself "I have this much to spend in this length of time" and seeing at the end of that length of time how you did.
If I do end up getting my own place, I'd have dad help me out with the money and budgeting stuff. He is an accountant.

BAAAAAAD IDEA

I was independent starting around fifteen, and unless being robbed and beat up at homeless shelters and vacant lots sounds appealing to you, I'd suggest staying home till 18. It's illegal to rent to or employ people under a certain age, even if they're emancipated. And even when it is legal, most landlords and employers will not take the risk.

This I say from not only my experience, but from the dozens of street youth I've met over the decades. The only teenager I've ever known who was successful was a girl who's dad was rich and he paid her rent and living expenses in an apartment in Santa Monica California. But like I said, dad paid for everything.

This does not bode well.

Trust me on this one.
False. It's not illegal to rent to teenagers under 18. I just have to pay my landlord/lady off in cash since a contract wouldn't be legally binding for people under 18. You must live in California or New York, which are both corporate hellholes.

I live in South Carolina. From my research, I actually found that it is pretty cheap to live here. I have already previously said what my state's labor laws are. I also clearly stated to look at my name in case you need research. Trust me, my parents would only be willing to pay for a gaming laptop for me to have as long as it isn't too expensive.

I may even carry a small knife in areas where it is allowed to carry a concealable weapon as protection when I turn 18 so that I have something to defend myself with until I am old enough to buy a handgun.

Edit: These are from the "South Carolina Legal Ages Laws" on findlaw.com.
Eligibility for Emancipation:
South Carolina doesn’t have an emancipation statute that delineates an emancipation process. However, it’s possible to petition the juvenile court to get yourself legally emancipated. Some of the criteria you’d likely want to include would be similar to the request to stop child support payments due to emancipation of the child (the child became self-supporting), such as graduation certificates, paystubs, etc.
Contracts by Minors: [/QUOTE]A minor can’t be required to pay for debts contracted for when still a minor, unless a promise to pay back the debt was made in writing and signed by the party after they became a full adult. However, for necessaries (food, shelter, and clothing) a minor can be required to pay back the debt.[/QUOTE]
Minors’ Ability to Sue:
A minor or mentally incompetent person can sue through a legal representative (guardian or fiduciary) or through a “next friend” or guardian ad litem (who can be appointed by the court).
I'll need that last one in case somebody decides to be a jerk or if there is some neighbor who hates me for my Autism and decides to act maliciously against me because of it.

Last edited:
You don't need a weapon for any reason. I don't live in either state.

I'm actually a sort of a grits and greens red neck myself. Employers and landlords often have fear of even renting to/ employing folks under 30 in many cases. So unless your parents are going to co sign on a place and pay your rent, I'm going to have to stick to my initial advice of waiting till 18.

I have been homeless many, many times due to not being able to find a job or apartment when I was young.

Many of the old home bums you see on corners have been that way since they were young. They didn't intend to become old bums, but poor choices during youth caused a chain reaction of downward mobility.

Wait.
I was editing my post while you where typing and sending this one. Please check back and do some research on my State's laws. I'm also not one of those red neck types, myself.

I have been doing my research to find out if any of the places near me have a reputation to being friendly to the idea of hiring disabled people as a whole. I also have been looking into wages they offer as well as if they have a good reputation.

Do you even live in the U.S.? I have seen plenty of teenagers working in retail stores and fast-food places. In fact, it seems like mostly young people are working in fast food and retail.

Also, yes. I do need a weapon, and I have the right to have a weapon. As you said, you have been robbed and beaten up when you were homeless. If somebody jumps me, I don't want to be defenseless. If some dude decides to try and mug me, I think it's a better option for me to stab him rather than let him take my wallet. This is if he starts taking violent actions against me either after he threatens me while demanding or right away.

New Threads

Top Bottom