• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I want my autism removed

Autism is based on how your brain and central nervous system was built when you were still developing in utero. There is no such thing as getting rid of it.

However maybe you could look for ways to deal with how your autism affects you. :)

If I am on the spectrum, that might lessen my depression because if I do have autism, that would explain my struggles in life. It would make me realize that I'm not stupid or a loser. It would tell me "Hey, you're not a loser or defect; you're just autistic." For the first time in my life, it would finally click in my head that I'm not a worthless idiot made to be in depression and to suffer. That's IF I'm found to be autistic and not the things mentioned above.

I can't remove my autism, I can't change the way I am or the way the world is, but I can change my personal environment to make things easier for me. I can find solutions to problems, or ways to cope with many of the things I find difficult. Edit: I just have to make the most with what I've got.
Same.

If you can become gay and be born single there's surely a way.

Everyone, without exception is born single so that makes no sense. Some individuals either decide to remain single or are simply unlucky enough not to find love and stay that way.
Very few people "become" gay - for the overwhelming majority it's how they are made. To suggest otherwise is, at best, very naive.

If I am on the spectrum, that might lessen my depression because if I do have autism, that would explain my struggles in life. It would make me realize that I'm not stupid or a loser. It would tell me "Hey, you're not a loser or defect; you're just autistic." For the first time in my life, it would finally click in my head that I'm not a worthless idiot made to be in depression and to suffer. That's IF I'm found to be autistic and not the things mentioned above.

You aren't stupid or a loser even if you are found to not have autism.

Your struggles are what they are, whether they are called "Autism" or not. Other people may not validate and understand struggles as easily without a label, but that doesn't mean those struggles are not real or that they are something you can change rather than something you have to just manage as best you can.

You aren't stupid or a loser even if you are found to not have autism.

Your struggles are what they are, whether they are called "Autism" or not. Other people may not validate and understand struggles as easily without a label, but that doesn't mean those struggles are not real or that they are something you can change rather than something you have to just manage as best you can.
Most of these are what I can't change.

I understand. I have begged, cried, and prayed to God to have other shortcomings of mine removed. I guess the answer was, "No" because they're still with me. Now, I deal with them, manage them, and do my best to accept that being human means being flawed.

As for autism, I don't know who I'd be without it.

If you want to remove your autism, then you want to remove yourself. It's a part of you that makes you - you. Without it you would be someone completely different. You would not exist, in fact. We can talk a lot about alternative selves and possiblities but if someone is different from you in one thing, then they're not you anymore. Is there really not even one thing you appreciate or like about yourself?

There are things about my Autism I wish I could lose (No girlfriend, no driver's license, no steady job) but I'd never want it removed. It's part of who I am. At 36 I don't want that to change.

So do many other people with Autism but it's not gonna happen sadly... you're stuck with it for life, so deal with it

Maybe not. If modern medicine continues to progress at the rate it's currently going at, there may be a time in the not-too-distant future when neurological abnormalities ("abnormal" in the statistical sense) will be capable of being altered or removed entirely if the person in question so desires, as easily as a plastic surgeon can now remodel your nose or remove a scar.
It's certainly something to look forward to, to hope for. I know, many wouldn't take up the option (or at least say they wouldn't) because they believe it defines them. Well, even if such a view is considered to be valid, the temptation to have the procedure done may become overwhelming, and even if reversible would become undesirable (like trying to go back to using an old-fashioned flip phone after using the very latest touchscreen one - I actually attempted this, but it didn't work out. I missed all the features the older phones just don't have).

There are things about my Autism I wish I could lose (No girlfriend, no driver's license, no steady job) but I'd never want it removed. It's part of who I am. At 36 I don't want that to change.

So... you will never have a girlfriend, steady job, or drive a car then. It's good that you can accept and live with that, but for me that's just not acceptable, and is why I will do anything and everything I possibly can to get rid of this curse. Yes, people say, "No, you're stuck with it for life", but if I were to believe this (and I don't, because people actually DO change in fundamental ways over time), then I wouldn't even bother with anything anymore and would probably kill myself. Being alone, unwanted, and thought of as being creepy and weird is just horrendous. Thankfully, I've reached the stage where my "weirdness" isn't as noticeable as it once was, and I can pass for normal now (the sensory issues are still there though).

If you want to remove your autism, then you want to remove yourself. It's a part of you that makes you - you. Without it you would be someone completely different. You would not exist, in fact. We can talk a lot about alternative selves and possiblities but if someone is different from you in one thing, then they're not you anymore. Is there really not even one thing you appreciate or like about yourself?

Oh for goodness sake, what rot! First off, I am NOT my handicap, that is not who I actually am. It is there, like a fly that simply won't buzz off, but it isn't anything more substantial than that.
Secondly, if we were to make the assumption, for argument's sake, that you are actually correct about this, then yes, I would in that case want to "be someone completely different". God yes! Bring it on! I hate being awkward and alarmed by the sound of motorbikes passing by. I hate being unemployable, single, and wretched.
Thirdly, people - ALL people - change in crucial ways over the course of their lives. No one here is the same person they were when they were five, or fifteen, or twenty-five. When I was very young I was a bad-tempered, meltdown-prone, uncontrollable brat. I literally had no control over my emotions. Needless to say, I am not like this anymore. That person is (THANKFULLY!) gone, dead, kaput. Yet, I'm still here. My soul didn't vanish, I didn't become someone unrecognisable, I didn't die.

Oh for goodness sake, what rot! First off, I am NOT my handicap, that is not who I actually am. It is there, like a fly that simply won't buzz off, but it isn't anything more substantial than that.
Secondly, if we were to make the assumption, for argument's sake, that you are actually correct about this, then yes, I would in that case want to "be someone completely different". God yes! Bring it on! I hate being awkward and alarmed by the sound of motorbikes passing by. I hate being unemployable, single, and wretched.
Thirdly, people - ALL people - change in crucial ways over the course of their lives. No one here is the same person they were when they were five, or fifteen, or twenty-five. When I was very young I was a bad-tempered, meltdown-prone, uncontrollable brat. I literally had no control over my emotions. Needless to say, I am not like this anymore. That person is (THANKFULLY!) gone, dead, kaput. Yet, I'm still here. My soul didn't vanish, I didn't become someone unrecognisable, I didn't die.

Take a chill pill; you're reading into their reply too much alongside having your past (and seemingly anger about your past) cloud your judgement/reply

Last edited:

I do like a lot of what you said, but I sort of think it's a tad funny that you angrily explain how you used to be bad-tempered but that you're obviously not anymore. :D

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom