• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I updated my CV yesterday

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Sorry but I can't upload it, it has personal details I'd rather the whole Internet didn't know.

Anyway, they suggested at the meeting I had with Autism Plus last week, that I include my qualifications on my CV, of which I have a few good ones such as NVQs in Retail and Customer service, and GCSE English at grade A.

Only thing is, because I've gone as far back in my work history as I can remember, nearly 28 years right from my first placement from school in June 1990, my CV has gone to 3 pages, and I've previously been told that most employers don't like CVs of over 2 pages.

What can I do to correct this?

I am looking for genuine help here, do not just tell me to use Google.

I might know as much as you but... My understanding is the earlier stuff is less important so you could trim off some of that. Also, if you're applying for a particular job you could tailor your work experience in your CV to match that job.

How about summarizing the first 10 or 15 years of work experience?
Seems like that would cut the length down some.

I asked how far back I should go with my employment history on my resume to an employment counselor earlier this year and was told I should go back only 5 yrs.

I think you should do your best to stick to 2 pages. Trim down the work history from >5 years ago, unless it is particularly relevant to a job you are applying for,. Also don't just send the same cv to every job application, have a 'master cv' and then tailor it to each job, reducing the non-relevant experience and highlighting the relevant. You could also try playing about with the format a bit, try reducing the margin sizes, maybe using a smaller font, try different layouts for the text to see if you can make it most space efficient, just make sure you don't make it too dense, CVs need some blank space or else they might not want to bother reading it! Also put the most relevant and resent information at the start, as many probably won't bother to read all the way through, you need to sell yourself before they lose interest.

im convinced my cv is no longer looked at because of the huge gap from when i last worked (work exp at government office ---1 yr gap--- volunteer at charity --- 2 yr gap --- now)
I have tailored it to the job specified, as i know what keywords they look for, and from the many interviews in the past would suggest, i came across as a different person as they expected from looking at my CV which was never a good thing

incase someone suggest more volunteering, i've been advised against it because it shows that i'm willing to work for free which i'm not. the jobcentre manager pointed out there were no problems with my CV apart from the fact i pointed out.

im convinced my cv is no longer looked at because of the huge gap from when i last worked (work exp at government office ---1 yr gap--- volunteer at charity --- 2 yr gap --- now)
I have tailored it to the job specified, as i know what keywords they look for, and from the many interviews in the past would suggest, i came across as a different person as they expected from looking at my CV which was never a good thing

incase someone suggest more volunteering, i've been advised against it because it shows that i'm willing to work for free which i'm not. the jobcentre manager pointed out there were no problems with my CV apart from the fact i pointed out.

Don'r knock working for free, I've been doing it for years and in most cases enjoyed it.

I don't think you should go into detail about your GCSE results. Just state the overall number passed and add "including English and Mathematics".

I don't think you should go into detail about your GCSE results. Just state the overall number passed and add "including English and Mathematics".

I didn't, besides which it was like 27 years ago when I did the exams anyway. plus I failed everything except typing.

Plus I'm too old for the kind of "entry level" Office jobs I want to apply for, they want kids fresh out of school or College with 5 Million GCSEs to their name with excellent grades.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom