• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I think my dad may have aspergers.

Speedfighter17

Hello, first of all I am new here so I don't know if I am posting in the right place so sorry if I am not.

Okay so my dad has always had some personality traits which are more uncommon then most, but a few years a go my dad ran up a lot of debt in secret that really brought it all to a head.

I just need some advice on whether he seems like he might have aspergers.

Here's some of his personality traits:
-weird facial expressions, body movements, body language and posture in general.
-cannot handle much responsibility such as money, tasks without set instructions are almost impossible.
-cant handle children him and my little sister and brother just are not close
-not much empathy for people
-close mindedness and offensive ideas such as homophobia even though he is perfectly intelligent.
-Always wins pub quizzes anything to do with facts, but could not have a discussion with someone.
-doesn't show affection or emotion.
-unable to understand when people are annoyed or upset at him.
-takes everything as criticism.
-not much common sense, couldn't solve sort of every day tasks.
-he cannot seem to stand still ever, he will sway or jump from one foot to another.

Thank you for reading, any sort of advice would be very appreciated, I just want to help him. This has been going on out in the open for 3 years or so and no one has really offered much advice.
It's really affecting my whole family, especially my mum and I just want to help him, and in turn help my family. I just need someone to shed some light.
thanks again. :) x

The first step to solving any problem, is realizing that you have one. Is he willing to admit that there is something about his personality that may improve if he makes some changes? If not, there is nothing you (or anybody else can do). If he does admit to this, then help is just around the corner. You can start out by taking an Aspergers test online. It is a pretty good indicator. Usually about 50 questions, and the results are immediate. There are many books available that are excellent sources of information. Then there is professional help after that.
It sounds like he is very lucky to have you. I know that others on here will have great advice too. Best of luck to you, but it sounds like you are on the right track.
PS. If he does not want to admit to it, you can always try an intervention.

Well I don't think he fully thinks there is a problem, but after the whole debt thing I think he realised it wasn't sort of normal to run up that much debt and not realise he was doing anything wrong, I have told him about the online tests and he said he will fill one out, so hopefully that will be of some help :) thank you for the advice it is much appreciated, sometimes it feels like I am not making any difference to him so it feels good to know I am kind of doing the right thing.

New Threads

Top Bottom