• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I think I was discriminated against and I'm not sure what to do.

Elisha

To be clear, I've reached out to a civil rights attorney, but haven't heard back yet.

I don't know if this actually counts as discrimination, but it feels pretty awful.

I was dismissed from a very large (owns every hospital within 30 minutes) health care provider group because I had 3 no shows in a year. Two of which were in the same week after a vacation and I couldn't keep the days of the week straight to save my life. This is also, according to all sources, done without any input from my actual care provider. It was the office manager's call.

Normally getting to appointments wouldn't be a problem, even for me, but 1. All the fail safes failed and 2. I started having appointments on average once a month starting at the beginning of the year, specifically because I couldn't function and was sleeping all the time. This ups the chance I'll screw it up drastically and it was made very clear I wasn't functioning.

Part of the above vacation was driving 3 hours to get tested for ASD. The day I was dismissed, my provider gave me my diagnosis. She thought the other doctor already told me about the diagnosis, but I don't see her again until Monday. Luckily, she isn't in that Network, but the doctors I've been trying to get into since February for pain management are so I have to start that process over, too.

It seems to me if the building has to be handicap accessible, shouldn't their policies?

I couldn't find another Dr to take my insurance last year, even in this group. There's almost no other doctor within in a reasonable drive. My insurance just gives me random names to call and calling people is really difficult for me on the best days. Trusting a new doctor is too. And if I don't find a Dr in 30 days my ADD meds will run out, which will make it nearly impossible.

I'm trying to process the ASD diagnosis while still trying to function and on top of it I now have to find a new doctor.

I feel stupid because I started crying on the phone when the office manager wouldn't let me appeal it, but what do they expect?The only people they make exceptions for are people in the hospital or in jail.

I just needed to vent to people who may understand, but any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.

From a legal standpoint, you're not likely to find a lawyer to take your case. The reason for that is that these lawyers are paid on contingency (usually 30% of the damages from the lawsuit). That means if you lose, the lawyer does not get paid. Further, that means lawyers choose to take cases which they have a reasonable chance of winning.

And that's the problem. Cases involving autism and discrimination are a longshot, so lawyers don't want to take those cases. So I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you'll probably just end up eating the consequences of this situation. That's the current state of autism as a disability.

If I were you, I wouldn't rely on legal remedy or even any kind of disability advocates for resolution for this situation. Fact is, your ADD meds are on the line, so you need to hustle and find another provider, because it's not going to be your old one. You're on a ticking clock, so I'd advise you to take action immediately.

But I'm really, really sorry this happened to you. Is it discrimination? Yes, it's just really unfortunate the world doesn't see it the same way.

Hello, Elisha.
I find myself in a similar situation.
I often find that I am (afraid?) to
make calls to make appts.
The appts themselves are not the problem.
They are documented and I belong there.
I feel very real, palpable fear at speaking to
unknown people on the phone, and I have
difficulty in asking for help.
My PCP told me that she agrees that
I am on the spectrum(I am as yet undiagnosed). I made the discovery(ended
my denial) about 2 1/2 mos. ago.
I always knew that I was different.
I largely put my differences off to a rather
high IQ.
I made attempts at counseling, and had
some(one extremely) bad experiences.
Looking for help, in desperation.
As hard as it was for me, I got the royal
screw-over, and came away feeling, well,
far, far worse. (I don't really like to use the
word that I really meant to use, there.)
I now find myself alone, and unable to take
steps that I need to take.
I am trying to figure out what seems like an
unsolvable problem.
I am sorry for your troubles.
I don't have any answers, nor any advice.
I simply wanted to let you know that you are
not alone in this struggle.
I have found that there are many kindred spirits, here, and I gain fresh perspective
here, almost daily, mostly from those
recounting their own puzzling
experiences.
Know that you are in my thoughts and
meditations.

From a legal standpoint, you're not likely to find a lawyer to take your case. The reason for that is that these lawyers are paid on contingency (usually 30% of the damages from the lawsuit). That means if you lose, the lawyer does not get paid. Further, that means lawyers choose to take cases which they have a reasonable chance of winning.

And that's the problem. Cases involving autism and discrimination are a longshot, so lawyers don't want to take those cases. So I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you'll probably just end up eating the consequences of this situation. That's the current state of autism as a disability.

If I were you, I wouldn't rely on legal remedy or even any kind of disability advocates for resolution for this situation. Fact is, your ADD meds are on the line, so you need to hustle and find another provider, because it's not going to be your old one. You're on a ticking clock, so I'd advise you to take action immediately.

But I'm really, really sorry this happened to you. Is it discrimination? Yes, it's just really unfortunate the world doesn't see it the same way.
Yeah I wouldn't want to go back to them anyway at this point. I'll probably ask my niece or uncle to help me find someone, even if it's just coming with me to ask around.

I figured with my luck it wouldn't be a situation anyone would take seriously, anyway, or that the contingency would be worth the effort for anyone who did. Yay, capitalism. What can you do.

Hello, Elisha.
I find myself in a similar situation.
I often find that I am (afraid?) to
make calls to make appts.
The appts themselves are not the problem.
They are documented and I belong there.
I feel very real, palpable fear at speaking to
unknown people on the phone, and I have
difficulty in asking for help.
My PCP told me that she agrees that
I am on the spectrum(I am as yet undiagnosed). I made the discovery(ended
my denial) about 2 1/2 mos. ago.
I always knew that I was different.
I largely put my differences off to a rather
high IQ.
I made attempts at counseling, and had
some(one extremely) bad experiences.
Looking for help, in desperation.
As hard as it was for me, I got the royal
screw-over, and came away feeling, well,
far, far worse. (I don't really like to use the
word that I really meant to use, there.)
I now find myself alone, and unable to take
steps that I need to take.
I am trying to figure out what seems like an
unsolvable problem.
I am sorry for your troubles.
I don't have any answers, nor any advice.
I simply wanted to let you know that you are
not alone in this struggle.
I have found that there are many kindred spirits, here, and I gain fresh perspective
here, almost daily, mostly from those
recounting their own puzzling
experiences.
Know that you are in my thoughts and
meditations.
Thanks for reaching out and lending an "ear."
Hopefully you can find tools more suited to your needs now that you're looking in the right direction.

Phone calls are so difficult. I never seem to get them right and it takes so much effort to even attempt them.

The one thing in life I really lucked out on was finding my former therapist. A skilled and compassionate therapist can make such a difference and unfortunately, they can't all be great.

Thanks. I'll look into that. I also saw there is or at least was at some point in time, a civil rights department of the government I can make a complaint with as well.

I think I'm mostly just sad that people tend to get away with this stuff and I feel a bit powerless so that link may help with that, at least.

Thanks. I'll look into that. I also saw there is or at least was at some point in time, a civil rights department of the government I can make a complaint with as well.

In that regard you can contact both your state and federal offices of the attorney general. At the state level they may have someone along the lines of a "constituent service representative" to at least steer you in the right direction.

New Threads

Top Bottom