• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I think I want a bunny named Larry

kay

My neighbor has 14 baby bunnies and seeing these little critters everyday has made me think a bunny would be a great pet. I can't have one right now but I want to go ahead and see if I can get everything ready so I can get one sometime soon. Any advice? What are some good small size breeds? What sort of supplies? Do they need bunny toys? What about travel? Anyhoo, I've never had a house bunny(we raised meat rabbits when I was a kid) and don't know how to prepare. Bunnies seem like a great pet though. They are so quiet and don't seem to be much more than just constant cuteness.

My neighbor has 14 baby bunnies and seeing these little critters everyday has made me think a bunny would be a great pet. I can't have one right now but I want to go ahead and see if I can get everything ready so I can get one sometime soon. Any advice? What are some good small size breeds? What sort of supplies? Do they need bunny toys? What about travel? Anyhoo, I've never had a house bunny(we raised meat rabbits when I was a kid) and don't know how to prepare. Bunnies seem like a great pet though. They are so quiet and don't seem to be much more than just constant cuteness.
Don't house them in the typical hutch! scientists have discovered their stress levels are very high in them ,the thing also is that a rabbit is a herd animal, live-in groups, so two is what should really be done .
Research their diet !!! If you can let them be a house rabbit !

Don't house them in the typical hutch! scientists have discovered their stress levels are very high in them ,the thing also is that a rabbit is a herd animal, live-in groups, so two is what should really be done .
Research their diet !!! If you can let them be a house rabbit !
Of course house bunnies. Can't imagine just keeping them in a cage all the time. They need to be able to curl up on the couch. There must be a lot of bunny proofing to be done, though because I read they enjoy trying to chew through electrical cords. And apparently they can also live quite a long time with good care so I'll need to make a good bunny selection and find some god parents for the little guy. Just in case.

Be warned that they will chew through any and all wires they come across in your house. My friend had a house rabbit while we were in high school and they went through so many landline phones :tearsofjoy:

In todays world... free roaming bunny in the house... If not really careful Larry might be well done behind the couch somewhere. How about a fish named Larry, or a cat, or a dog, or a cockatoo, a parrot, or even a ferret - no forget the ferret they stink (gagging at the thought) but love them anyway. A bunny? Thats funny and its your house so go for it. : )

Of course house bunnies. Can't imagine just keeping them in a cage all the time. They need to be able to curl up on the couch. There must be a lot of bunny proofing to be done, though because I read they enjoy trying to chew through electrical cords. And apparently they can also live quite a long time with good care so I'll need to make a good bunny selection and find some god parents for the little guy. Just in case.
Please research Who you buy it from,I imagine rabbit farming is as bad as puppy farming
Puppy farming is horrendous in the UK,I find it unbearable to think of the image of a dog and its puppies imprisoned in a wooden box,in near total darkness .
I can imagine rabbits want to chew fibrous grass ,probably what they would like is a container with grass and other local plants growing in it.
I know some people like to offer human food,but a rabbits stomach is not designed for it,they are herbivores.
If you get a rabbit Photos please :) I'm getting shaky at the thought of seeing them.

Small Rabbit Breeds. Comparing the smallest rabbit breeds

Bunnies can make a surprising amount of noise and can sulk and have tantrums. I have not had my own bunnies, but have been around some belonging to other people. I got the chance to see bunnies being cute little pests at times.

Most of the house bunnies I met were litter box trained, and very diligent about making sure they used their bunny toilets.

They can be a bit demanding of attention at times, but the ones I saw acting that way were by themselves. I think the idea of having a pair of them sounds good. I have two cats so they can socialize more and this works well. Since bunnies are more social than cats, it is probably more important than for cats, to have a pair of them.

I loved our bunny! She was flop-eared and very easy going. Bunnies can often be "trained" to use one corner of the room for potty - we found the corner she liked to use, and we placed a corner-shaped litter box there, so then she could just be free range in our living room. She didn't wander out of that area because once beyond the carpet she would slip on the tiles. Though one time when I went downstairs to get a glass of water in the middle of the night, I was shocked to find her high up, onto of our television. When she saw me she got down. I had no idea how much of the room she would explore. One thing - I would really read up on bunnies before getting on, some could consider them high maintenance. The letterbox needs to be cleaned, it will smell. The females need to be spayed early, otherwise there's a strong risk of them dying of ovarian cancer. They go through seasonal periods where they shed their coats - and that fur gets everywhere. Lots of vacuuming to keep the room clean, and the fur would even coat the panels of the ceiling fan. Make sure you have a good exotic pet vet whom you can trust. And please don't be one of those mean people on youtube who do things to startle their bunnies and then think it's funny - they are highly strung and can suffer heart attacks from being shocked/scared. Video example below - warning, it's horrible to anyone who has half a heart for animals:

p.s. They need to gnaw on hard things to keep their teeth worn down - but that also means our bunny ate all the buttons off of our remote control when she got to it once, and the molding/trim at the bottom of the wall was well chewed/ruined as well. If she did pee somewhere on the carpet, the color was bleached out - the carpet turned white/light yellow. But the bunny was adorable :) Just search for "bunny wants to be petted" videos, they are so cute!

Last edited:
Small Rabbit Breeds. Comparing the smallest rabbit breeds

Bunnies can make a surprising amount of noise and can sulk and have tantrums. I have not had my own bunnies, but have been around some belonging to other people. I got the chance to see bunnies being cute little pests at times.

Most of the house bunnies I met were litter box trained, and very diligent about making sure they used their bunny toilets.

They can be a bit demanding of attention at times, but the ones I saw acting that way were by themselves. I think the idea of having a pair of them sounds good. I have two cats so they can socialize more and this works well. Since bunnies are more social than cats, it is probably more important than for cats, to have a pair of them.

Maybe Larry and Barry not Larry and Mary... it might get crazy really fast with 2 little love bunnies in the house... : )

Thanks everybody for all the thoughts and info. I will get a properly raised bunny/ies that has had lots of love, that will be spayed/neutered, and I will be very careful about where in the house a bunny can go. My couch is a safe one for a bunny. Homemade rather simple, modern thing;no overstuffed craziness (I knew someone with a ferret and a very over stuffed couch. That wasn't a good combo). And why would anyone scare a bunny with a balloon? I'm about as likely to die from a popping balloon as a bunny, oh I hate, hate balloons. Last public meltdown was from a popping balloon. Also glad to hear that bunnies can have tantrums, pout, and be demanding. If and when I acquire a pet or two or three or four, I will post far too many pics. I'm wondering how well bunnies get along with chickens. I'm tempted to get a pair of silkies as long as I am getting pets again. I used to have pet chickens, loved them, but they are no good in the house (they died:(). Though some people do put diapers on them.

Any advice?
Whatever you do, don't get Moe!
smileythreestooges_orig.gif

Kay if you go to a breeder and you get a bad feeling about them ,like there are a lot of outbuildings which could house a farm (ask to see first of course), report them to the aspca immediately!!!!!!!!

Of course why has this just occurred to me now, adopt them from a rescue home, cut off illegal rabbit breeding

New Threads

Top Bottom