• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

i need to install linux on my HP laptop,problems

toothless

this is mr shadow,my support cat
hi guys,i was wondering if someone could help me?

i have been trying for a long time to get linux of any distro installed on my HP laptop-it is about 2 years old,it has that secure boot crap on it.
it currently has windows 10 on it.

i have turned off the secure boot thing in BIOS and i have changed the boot sequence to make it boot from the dvd player/USB stick first and it still ignores the dvd or the bootable USB stick and just goes straight to windows.

i even installed a virtual machine at one point,and tried to get a ton of distros working on it,none of them would boot,the same ISOs work perfectly on my dads laptop.

i would LOVE to know what im doing wrong,i am SO FED UP of windows,really fed up,id love to dual boot again. :(
if any of you could help me i would do practically any favour for you.
i bought linux format magazine today it has two live dvds with fedora,ubuntu etc on it,i was very happy to get the magazine it gives me hope, so please help me i would particulary love ubuntu on as ive used it on/off since 'hoary hedgehog' but i have been a fedora user before and loved it more i think.

Pretty sure secure boot means efi/uefi instead of bios. That would mean that your desired boot media would need to be efi-bootable. Is it? Its been quite a while since I last did this. Hope this helps.

Um I think there's one more thing you have to do in BIOS because I had a similar problem. Did you turn on legacy boot in BIOS ? You might have to do that and turn off secure boot.

Um I think there's one more thing you have to do in BIOS because I had a similar problem. Did you turn on legacy boot in BIOS ? You might have to do that and turn off secure boot.

You can turn off secure boot and still use efi, at least in my firmware. Legacy is basically oldschool bios mode, which might be necessary for OP, but then his efi-installed Windows probably won't boot.

I'm typing this on a lga 1150 system that is uefi, with secure boot disabled. I first installed linux and got that working using a boot manager, rather than the UEFI directly, or a bootloader (al-la grub), then connected just one SSD and installed Windows on it. Third step was to get my boot manager to find and launch Windows. This took a bit of doing, but it all works flawlessly now.

Im dreading dealing with secureboot uefi when i get a new computer. Luckily im still using an older computer that still works great dualcore intel with 4gb ram with antergos and im all good. Hp has always been great on the hardware side though. I love my HP. If you figure it out, try using antergos with gnomeshell, i think you will like it. Iv been staying away from ubuntu, i used it from 7.04 when I was in middle school till unity came out. I HATE IT, the dash is just aweful if they replaces the dash with an application menu like gnome shell and made a nice looking theme instead of their obsession with using ugly colors like purple brown and orange than id use it again. I switched the linux mint cinnamon desktop when it was in that teansition stage where gnomeshell first came out and was a mess like unity is right now. But than gnome got its act together.

sorry for the late reply guys,i was anxious and avoiding it as i thought the answer would be very difficult to do,and it turns out it is. :(
thankyou for the link full steam,wow thats complicated for my easily information overloaded brain.

i need physical help with getting it installed as i dont want to cock it up,is it possible to join a local LUG and take my laptop to them to get help with installing,or is that not how LUGs work?
ive been wanting to join one for a while,i remember there was one at a manchester university but i didnt think id be able to go because im not a student.

It might be abit out of line for you to ask. Its a free operating system, and the general idea of linux is that learning whatever you have to, is part of using it. Screwing things up is part of that learning. They might not be receptive, or it might be expensive. You can try. I learned to do all my linux stuff through a combination of books, howtos, articles and forums.

Last edited:
Sorry cant edit from my phone. Will delete first post and fix this one when i get home. The idea of linux is that learning whatever you have to, is part of using it. Screwing things up is part.of learning. They might not be receptive, or it.might be expensive. You can try.
i get you,thankyou.
im a bit scared as ive not done it for so long,but i dont really want them to do it for me as such,just be with me and go through it all so i can learn and get back into it,because i have mild learning [intellectual] it affects my capacity for information a lot and ive made many errors since starting my linux journey in 2000.

id actually love to do a course on linux,but my local colleges dont offer anything, just generic IT courses,it annoys me that linux isnt more respected.

It might be abit out of line for you to ask. Its a free operating system, and the general idea of linux is that learning whatever you have to, is part of using it. Screwing things up is part of that learning. They might not be receptive, or it might be expensive. You can try. I learned to do all my linux stuff through a combination of books, howtos, articles and forums.

I disagree. In my experience, Linux user groups are exactly for helping people in situations like this.

In fact, the are often events specifically dedicated to installing Linux on a machine.

Toothless, look around your city and ask around. Most are quite willing to help, and if they can't help, they can probably point you to a group that can.

I disagree. In my experience, Linux user groups are exactly for helping people in situations like this.

In fact, the are often events specifically dedicated to installing Linux on a machine.

Toothless, look around your city and ask around. Most are quite willing to help, and if they can't help, they can probably point you to a group that can.
thankyou!! i will look into it today at my dads house,hope to find one in manchester! i had even looked into doing a course which involved learning about linux indepth and hacking etc-both are old passions of mine [greyhat not black],but it was a foundation degree and because of my intellectual disability i wouldnt be able to do the homework or the exams [i cant write] and it said you needed GCSEs or be assessed on level of skill,i have lost most knowledge of linux and hacking so id look rather silly getting assessed unless they were taking on people who appear as beginner-intermediate,i lose information if its not in use,my memory sucks.

New Threads

Top Bottom