• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I NEED HELP WITH HIGH SCHOOL

rainman8128

Hey guys. I am a freshman in high school in my 3rd semester and I need a LOT of advice. Part of my Aspergers is only wanting to do things I like. Why is this an issue? I do not like to study anything I find boring, which I have to do a lot of at the moment. Because I do not like it, I just simply don't do it. I know very well that you need to study in order to get into a top school, but I always have had trouble with doing things I find boring. Whenever I say I am going to study, I just play Train Simulator instead. This results of me getting Bs and Cs on tests. My average in a typical class is a 78, which is not good. But I do fear that I will not get into a good college, or even graduate high school! Can somebody help me with what I should do in order to be successful in the end?

I think you already know the answer: you have to pull yourself together and study, even if you don’t really like the subject. Some subjects become a lot more fun once you learn more about them. Others will never be fun. But power through them anyway if you want that degree.
Save Train Simulator as a reward for when you’ve finished homework. Come up with other rewards for completing your tasks.

I used to be just like you with homework, I didn’t study and didn’t do homework for classes I didn’t care about. I was in a good high school but was nearly kicked out because of my bad grades and perceived overall lack of motivation. When I decided I wanted to be a medical doctor I started studying to get my grades up, but by then it was almost too late, it took me a few years to be admitted into med school because of my grades and I almost didn’t make it in at all.

Hey guys. I am a freshman in high school in my 3rd semester and I need a LOT of advice. Part of my Aspergers is only wanting to do things I like. Why is this an issue? I do not like to study anything I find boring, which I have to do a lot of at the moment. Because I do not like it, I just simply don't do it. I know very well that you need to study in order to get into a top school, but I always have had trouble with doing things I find boring. Whenever I say I am going to study, I just play Train Simulator instead. This results of me getting Bs and Cs on tests. My average in a typical class is a 78, which is not good. But I do fear that I will not get into a good college, or even graduate high school! Can somebody help me with what I should do in order to be successful in the end?
i wish id had help to study !exams were just panic!, in the uk coursework now is part of your grade as well as exams at school level .
when i was at senior school /private school it was just exams and i failed 99%.
there was a comment that GCEs were harder than a levels which is what you went to college for .
they are called GCSEs now.

Yes I only wanted to try at subjects I liked and that was a narrow range. However you can do that more and more as you progress is what I realised! Although I nearly failed at the stage where you have to get a broad range, same reason as you I wasn't trying hard, but it's partly because people don't teach well or the subject is pointless isn't it? However I realise now it wasn't an option for me to decide! I scraped thru everything luckily then I could do less subjects at A level. If I had understood the situation better I could have got better results, think of it as a kind of game, be strategic? When I revised for A levels I looked at past papers and predicted questions reasonably successfully. Revising even very late in the day can be very effective, depending on how much the coursework matters. Find ways to study that work for you, you are clever enough to do that . Quite a short time of effort on each subject makes a difference. I sort of enjoyed it when I realised it was all about strategies. I realised I like working hard at the things I enjoy , sounds like you do too, so it's worth the focus at this stage to get through the broader stage so you can narrow down and enjoy later.:wink:

This reminds me of the year when I got an A in science and Cs in just about all other subjects, except for B for woodwork and technology, because I liked making things.

I think that what motivated to start studying was two really bad school reports in a row, plus people telling me that I would come to nothing, and I wanted to go to university and study. I was also competitive and wanted good grades. Plus my parents really pushed me, so carrot and stick.

I agree with @Bolletje 's advice to promise yourself a treat for finishing your homework to motivate you, and you need to be persistent, keep going and power your way through them. You will need to go through a few rough patches to get to the other side.

As above, get it together.

You're not in a position to be fussy. You have no qualifications, no experience and I presume are not independently wealthy. By playing computer games you are sabotaging your own future and you know it.

You are right, us aspies only really excel when we see reason or purpose. But unfortunately we are in the minority and the school system has been created for neurotypicals. Therefore you need to grow up, learn to fit in, find a way to get good grades in subjects that bore you. These skills are transferable to work, even then you will need to do things that bore you.

In order to get through it there are a few things you can try
  • Flashcards, write and learn bullet points, keep it short and sweet
  • Practice exams, take one straight away, then focus only on the areas you struggle with
  • Find the one thing, find a single thing you find interesting. There is at least one in each subject. I hate geography but I like exploring. I hate history but I love queen elizabeth ii. I hate english but I like some works, animal farm, shakespear.
  • Write lists. If you complete the list (ie read pages 5-9 or a text book), only THEN can you play games
  • Stop talking to strangers on the internet, pull yourself together and start studying.

Don't blame your asperger's for not wanting to do anything you don't like. It's a great way to avoid taking responsibility for yourself.

Yep, high school sucks, and i know exactly how painful it can be. As someone who is almost out, i can totally relate to slacking off, and i compare it to hitting a mental wall. You're not being lazy, your brain just isn't programmed to working the way it should for most kids. Every time i hit that wall, i was "lazy". Believe me, that isn't the case. You're only in your first year, and grades don't matter until later. The universities i'm applying to won't look at my first two years, and i doubt they'll look at yours. When i was your age, i used to panic about getting below 90s, but really, i've learned to celebrate not failing. When you're out of high school and into the world, it won't matter. Freshman year doesn't matter either. However, things only get harder as you continue, and schoolwork these days is more like the stuff they give you at university. For now, chill out and prepare yourself. Cut yourself some slack, and don't be afraid to get distracted. Things are going to be a little different for you, so don't freak out if you don't do everything perfectly. You'll get through this, i promise. Just stay calm and struggle through school until it's done, okay?

Don't blame your asperger's for not wanting to do anything you don't like. It's a great way to avoid taking responsibility for yourself.
Have you recently been to neurotypical high school? It really sounds like you haven't. Most nt kids have to stay up until 3 am to simply not fail, (with not a second for friendships or slacking off) the work is so much more difficult than it used to be, and i've heard of 12 year olds having to get off school because it's causing them to be suicidal. They're making it far too difficult, and i wouldn't blame anyone for getting distracted. The work is hellish, but then you add the hidden curriculum aspergers into the mix and ugh...........I can confirm that it's not a matter of being lazy as it is being in a REALLY crappy system. It's only suited for one type of kid, not the diverse range it needs to cover.

Have you recently been to neurotypical high school? It really sounds like you haven't. Most nt kids have to stay up until 3 am to simply not fail, (with not a second for friendships or slacking off) the work is so much more difficult than it used to be, and i've heard of 12 year olds having to get off school because it's causing them to be suicidal. They're making it far too difficult, and i wouldn't blame anyone for getting distracted. The work is hellish, but then you add the hidden curriculum aspergers into the mix and ugh...........I can confirm that it's not a matter of being lazy as it is being in a REALLY crappy system. It's only suited for one type of kid, not the diverse range it needs to cover.
I agree that high school is probably a heck of a lot more difficult than it was in my time -- and that was bad enough. But you're off-topic since that isn't what I was addressing. My concern was with his attitude: if I don't like it, I don't have to do it. I wonder how his future employers will react to that.

This might not be the help you're looking for, but don't worry about college. It matters very little where you get your undergrad work done; you just want to do good there to get into a good Grad school, where the names actually do matter.

You'll have to deal with this problem somewhat in college as well with your generals (outside your field of interest), but with some of those you get some options, so it might not be as bad.

Thanks for your advice, especially you Violet. It is very true that the academic system is suited for one and only one personality. But still, how is it possible for me to know all the powers of 2 for memory up to 2^115=
and still struggle in school? Something doesn't add up.

The real challenge for you at this point in time is to add a new focus to your life, apart from the narrow interests you may presently have as a result of being on the spectrum of autism.

A focus on your own future- not your past. Do the math. Like it or not, you're closer to adulthood than childhood. A mere three years away for you. Where you'll be grappling with looking for whatever work you can actually find, and/or seeking higher education whether involves an academic or vocational theme. Where for the first time in your life you have to deal with your own survival based mostly on your own actions, for better or worse.

And with that focus, use your Aspie logic to keep you grounded with a firm sense of reality. The kind that allows you to understand that you can't always get what you want in life, no matter how narrow your focus of interests might be. Be thinking about whatever interests you have, and how you might be able to apply them to both your existing education and the real world in whole or in part. And to accept that cyclical economies and job markets can greatly impact your life at one time or another. Things that for whatever reason, my parents never bothered to share with me at the time.

Think of school- and perhaps even your interests as a "tool" to get you where you want to be. To use that tool rather than just shrug it off or take it for granted.

The best of this is that you have another three years to reshape your thinking along such lines. Even better still, your post here reflects your own proper concern. You just need some pointers...and perhaps a push in the right direction. But it seems to me you've already given yourself a "jump start". This is good!

It's a very "adult" message. But hey...those three years can go by fast. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice, especially you Violet. It is very true that the academic system is suited for one and only one personality. But still, how is it possible for me to know all the powers of 2 for memory up to 2^115=
and still struggle in school? Something doesn't add up.
Because your brain was made for a specific purpose. It wasn't made to be sociable or be academically successful. My brain is suited for psychology and psychology only. Not quadratic equations. Look at it this way: A high tech computer is not meant to run on windows 98, right? The brain of your computer runs on a different operating system than the one the curriculum runs on. The operating systems aren't compatible because they're meant for different purposes. However, if you use an emulator on the high tech computer (in your case, modified curriculum, using what you understand to be taught) the computer can run the really laggy program. Find your emulator, and you'll succeed.

Does anyone agree with that? I understand computers very well (as I attempted to find a prime with 80 million digits in it), but what I believe Violet is referring to is a virtual machine. Is that right?

That was definitely me throughout ALL of my public schooling.
I am a passion-driven person, and my main passion is art and creativity. If I cant' find a passionate drive behind something, I remain disinterested. Chronically disinterested.

Elementary and middle school were easier, academically speaking. At younger ages we were regularly offered art-themed methods of work. Then enter highschool. It was more of a 9-5 "shut up and work" atmosphere. It was not fun and tailored to "kids" anymore, not creativity-oriented. Teachers were not usually creative- no more writing books, designing game boards, illustrating history events, creating sculptures or dioramas- they just wanted the 4 page essay written in silence.
My saving grace was that highschool offered me the opportunity to choose my electives, and I was able to tailor 'most' of my credits and schooling around art classes. Pottery, graphic design, computer classes, art classes- they helped break up the hell of an average day at school. By senior year I was taking over half of my credits as art credits- even though I had exhausted every single class and was simply retaking repeat classes at this point. That's what pulled me through.

My worst subject was always geography/government/world civ. Nothing about geography or history sparks passion in me. I am interested in it to the extent of learning about our history in terms of social and political development and progression, but outside of that I don't give a hoot who the presidents were or where the states are or where X country is and what year they had that civil war under which king.
English and Math were okay; they challenged me to want to perfect doing something right. Memorizing and practicing the "correct" way of writing and speaking, and memorizing how to solve numerical problems; not exactly a passion, but a challenge that I enjoyed and was able to contend with.

Nowadays my motto is "If I don't wanna do it, I ain't gonna do it." Not on an indulgent level, not as an excuse to avoid or excuse thing. But on a literal level. I do what I enjoy and I do not do what I do not enjoy. Luckily, I enjoy things like learning, being responsible, being good to others, following the rules, and mostly other productive and non-destructive things.

I guess I'm sharing my experience just because I think this isn't far from commonplace here. I almost CAN'T force myself to do things I am not interested in, barring tricking myself into finding ways to make them interesting. My anxiety will shoot through the roof and I might just shut down if I keep trying to force myself, even now.

I'm going to insert what is STRICTLY MY OPINION based on my own experience.
I thought I was going to go to college. I first applied at the age of 12 but was rejected. I graduated at 17 and had a scholarship to an art school. But that scholarship fell through because they wanted me to start the semester immediately after graduation, but I wanted 6 months of freedom before starting college. So they canned my scholarship and I didn't go. Instead of going to college I started traveling in a VW van I picked up. I learned a LOT about mechanics with that vehicle! I marketed my art and developed my business and entrepreneurial skills, made a trickle of income. Eventually I found another unforeseen curiosity and interest and pursued trade school in another state. The result was a tradeskill that cost me no more than a college credit (or three) and utilized all of my diverse skills and sparked my creative passion. I got creative with my work and within a few years niched a specialty that pays more than I would EVER be paid in any foreseeable resulting career had I gone to college. I have no education debt (or any debt), I have a skill with my hands that can be used anywhere, I get paid more than most in my generation will see before they're 40, and I don't have to climb any ladders, spend years flipping burgers whilst doing unpaid internships for experience-hours so I can actually get an entry level job applicable to my degree- I could go on. I'm also my own boss, don't have to deal with the general public, make my own hours, and answer only to myself. If I am shutdown or anxious, I can take as many days off as I need. If I want a vacation I can schedule it however I want. No job I ever applied for would've been able to accommodate my own frailties and incapacities, nor would they have played off of my strengths or skills.

Now I am pursuing my passions in their entirety. For me that's in the realm of farming and rustic living. I still utilize all of my tradeskills and still provide a passive income for myself working just a couple hours a week. I have found a healthy, skilled, intelligent partner who dropped out of high school over 20 years ago, got his GED, and pursued tradeskills that would allow him to achieve his ideal lifestyle- an ideal we both share. He can build or create anything he needs, has skills he can sell easily for excellent pay, and remains unreliant on a system that is otherwise difficult to thrive in financially.

I would have it no other way. I am SO HAPPY I didn't go to college. My former peers are struggling to get through college, self-medicating to cope, working 2 jobs on the side, not sleeping, fighting mountains of debt, and can't see a way out; 2-4 more years of this, then possibly YEARS trying to find a job, not to mention decades of paying off their student loans? They don't do it because they're pursuing learning about something they're passionate about, they're doing it because they're "supposed to", and for no other reason.

My ultimate point is just to make sure it's known that college isn't the only route, nor is it the best. There is no single best. But there are SO MANY different options for your future, don't let the pressure of your world force you into something you might not want, or maybe you might not even be built for. We must play our lives to our abilities, not force an impossible change on our incapacities.

Now, maybe what you have a passion for DOES require college education! That's another side to the coin! If it were me, I'd tap into that passion and use it as incentive to get through my schooling so I can go on to do what I really want to do. That's why flirted with college twice- I wanted to pursue art and raptor biology. Ultimately I wanted to, and still want to, pursue falconry. A degree in raptor biology would've opened the doors to getting a job at the birds of prey center I volunteered at, which may have led to working with raptors and led down a path to falconry. But! It didn't happen. If it could've, it would've, but it didn't, so here I am! Falconry is not off my radar nor out of my grasp. College was not the only way to reach that goal.

Even now I am met with condemnation and disrespect when I tell someone I didn't go to college. Highschool was meaningless in the long run for me; I came away with 1 friend and a LOT of hell stories and resentment. I remember almost NOTHING from 4 years of social and sensory torture, not to mention government-formulated brain washing and political conditioning. If I could do it over I would've dropped out early, like I wanted to at so many different points. And can you imagine what my partner experiences when he says he quit highschool!? Yet, if either of us speak of our personal success we are subsequently praised.
There's a lot of backwards messages in our culture.
"Follow the norm- if you don't and you get screwed over, it's your own darn fault. If you don't and you manage to succeed, well, you still should've followed the norm but good for you for making it work, at least."

Anyways, I share this simply in hope of sharing perspective :) Use these years to find what you are passionate about. Find the best way of pursuing that. Try not to feel too hindered by the pressures of the world around you, seeking to sculpt you into what THEY want you to be. We all have our own paths to take and our own futures to make :)

I'd like to add that the single friend I came away from highschool with is also an Aspie. They spent almost a decade mostly-homeless, roaming the Northwest and California- developing skills and finding experiences I can't even imagine (and honestly sometimes I'm a bit jealous of!). After that long period of exploration and soul-searching, this friend is now joyfully and passionately pursuing wildfire-fighting; making good money, enjoying a deeply meaningful work, feeling physically robust, and learning an incredibly HUGE range of skillsets and knowledge (again, that I'm also slightly jealous of!) about everything from safety to teamwork to sustainable forestry to practical biology- all on the job. This friend would've never found such a fulfilling niche without having on on the journey specific to them.

Don't let the phrase "You're ruining your life" fool you. People who say that are simply upset that you might not turn out how THEY want you to turn out!

Sounds like you make good grades for someone who doesn't study! So I know you are very smart. You will find some help on www.aspergerexperts.com. They have quite a few free videos and tips that might help you. They have Asperger's themselves and have spent many years learning how to not only cope but thrive. Please go check them out. I am not connected with them in any way and not an advertiser for them. A friend told me about them because my grandson has Asperger's. Best of luck to you!

(Note: Super-long, dense post, but full of real techniques that I hope can help you and others in your situation demonstrate how smart you are and how your peculiarities can be assets instead of shortcomings. For skimming and reference purposes, I have highlighted main ideas in bold.)

High school is hard, Aspie or not, but I'm here to tell you that you can do this!

"They" say you have free will, and you simply wish to exercise that. I totally get it. Eventually, you will find that you can shape life into whatever you want it to be.

Unfortunately, you have, through no personal choice, been placed in a society that works with certain values, expectations, and rules that do not necessarily align with your own. Some people accept this as a given - that this is life - but I think what we see is that life does not have to be this way.

Whether or not you end up participating in "mainstream" society, you will have to interact with it throughout your life. Use high school as a testing ground for "passing" strategies that will help you learn to work within those constraints so that you can navigate more comfortably through your adult life. You are fortunate to learn you have Asperger's so early so that you can focus less on trying to do things like everyone else and simply use your own strategies to achieve the same results.

I had very similar problems in my freshman year. I got D's in Biology and World History, suffered with reading comprehension in English (and hated to read because I was so slow at it), and really only excelled in grammar, algebra (I liked balancing equations), and theater (I liked pretending to be someone else). By the time I left high school, though, I was taking college-level courses and finished with a 3.85 GPA despite the rough start. I graduated with honors from university and have a master's degree in business.

How did I do this? Trial and error and a lot of introspection. I hope to save you some future grief by letting you in on some of the tactics that have helped me be academically successful. Here is some list action:

1. One of the biggest motivators for me was that I just hate being bad at things. If I have to do something, I want to be the best I can at it. Otherwise, I am wasting my time, and I HATE wasting my time.
  2. Along the same lines, sincerely try to find out why the subject matter is included in the curriculum in the first place. That stuff is not put in there willy-nilly for no reason, though it may seem so. Queen Elizabeth, Franz Ferdinand, the area of a rhombus, conjugating Latin verbs, plugging vocab words into sentences, the form and function of a bicameral legislature, solving functions, cell biology, writing reasearch paper citations, understanding why Beowolf is significant, 20th century geopolitics, and so many other things have all cropped up in my adulthood. The point being, adulthood can last 80 years and you have no idea where you are going to be and what you are going to work on in that time. Seriously. Focusing on the significance of the subject matter rather than how interesting or difficult it is has helped me stay diligent and committed to learning it.
  3. Learn about learning. Did you know that studies show you retain more information when handwriting rather than typing? Research some education philosophies and find learning strategies that seem best aligned with your brain function. For example:
    • I find for subjects that I am really interested in, sometimes putting down my pencil and just listening, I mean really listening, is all I need to do well on a test.
    • For other subjects, especially things with a lot of detail like history or economics, handwriting notes is enough. I may never even have to revisit the notes or just read over them a couple of times before a test in order to retain the information.
    • For subjects that are more difficult for me (or simply less interesting) I may need to write notes and then make flashcards. Flashcards seem lame and time-consuming, but simply writing them will help you remember about a third of the info, and going though the cards will get you the rest of the way. They are a pain, but they work.
    • I have a little of an eidetic memory, meaning I can picture the information even if I do not necessarily remember the info itself. Is this true for you? Find ways to isolate important information. Putting things on flashcards may help so that your brain can focus on remembering just the card insead of a whole page of notes. Also, I have developed a very specific note-taking system that started in high school and continues today (the consistency of style has helped throughout the years). Important information is put in boxes, semi-important information is underlined, etc. This helps my mind isolate the information for eidetic recall later: "Oh, I remember, that was on the third page of my notes on the right-hand corner in a spikey box, and the answer is mitochondria!"
    • I know that being Aspie means that social interaction is hard, but work two skills at once by studying with another person or even *gasp* in a group. Studies show that working in groups can significantly increase your retention because you are reading, listening, and using your own words to describe the information. You may even find that, while personal interaction within the group is hard, taking on a leadership or teaching function within the group comes naturally. It does for me. If you are comfortable as the sort of ringleader, you will find that preparing for the group sessions and leading them (i.e. teaching in a way) will make you the best in your group. Self-esteem rocks. The great thing about this tactic is that your interaction has a FUNCTION. The pressure of what to talk about and how to act is taken off and you can be more yourself - reasoned, factual. Additionally, other people may have ways of thinking and studying that you have not considered. As much as we hate it, collaboration really does make us better, more creative workers. Also, I know this sounds lame, but if you are uncomfortable asking other students to study, ask an adult for some time at lunch or after class. Teachers don't make a lot of money. They are there because they love to teach and help young people succeed - even the mean ones. Any instructor would be happily surprised to help you with their subject or multiple subjects. Ask them to run flashcards with you or listen to you explain the information to confirm that your information recall is correct. (Hey, this is also a great way to get some references for those college applications. ;) )
    • Use "testing strategies." If you just can not get yourself to learn a subject, research some effective testing strategies - the process of elimination, trusting your first instinct, passing questions if you do not know the answer right away (the answer may be embedded somewhere later in the test), etc. Most of school (I'm in the US, I'm unsure where you are) is structured not so that kids actually learn what is in the books, but to pass the tests so that the school gets positive pass rates and therefore more funding. Cynical, but true. If you are short on time or overwhelmed, good testing strategies will get you through to at least a C on most tests. Combine this with some of the testing strategies above, and you are in B+ to A territory. On another note, standardized tests like the SAT, GRE, and LSAT run heavily on testing strategy, not competency, so learning "how to test" now will benefit you later in life, too.
    • Make a designated study place. Don't study in your bedroom or around any of your personal items that can distract you. i'm serious about this. It's a drag, but you want to do well, right? If you have to study at home, try the dining table or a table outside (being outdoors helps me). Honestly, I prefer a library or a coffee shop (if you can) because the atmosphere is full of other people that are learning. The energy of learning is contagious. Having a designated study spot also helps signal to your brain that it is study time.

*Post was too long. Info is continued in the following post.**

*Continued from previous post. Number 1 here is actually number 5*
  1. Some subjects are just boring as dried beans. They can be hard to concentrate on no matter what learning strategies you try. Here are some suggestions for combatting boredom.
    • Take breaks! Sometimes, the more you concentrate, the harder information is to stuff in your brain. If you read a page four times without remembering what the heck you read, take a break and move on to something else. This could include actually taking a break to get a drink or something, but also consider getting creative with your breaks. You have homework in 3 subjects? When one gets boring, move on to another one and come back to it when that one gets boring. Insert some physical activity. Get up and run around the block. When you come back, your mind will be clear (or maybe you remembered the info during the run). Find a 5 minute activity that can break your frustration and help you concentrate using a different part of your brain. Something simple like trying to throw cards in a hat. When you get 10 cards in, you go back to studying (and then really do it). You may find a pattern that is helpful, like 15 minutes studying with a 5 minute break.
    • Find common ground with the information. Relate the info to stuff that you encounter every day or things that already interest you. What is it about Train Simulator you like? The train technology harkens back to the industrial revolution. Hello, history. Steam, diesel and electric trains? There is physics right there. How about the routes they choose? They make me think of international relations, history, trade. Why did they choose those routes to represent particular time periods? Moving passengers and cargo reminds me of commerce, business strategy, and in the real world would involve a lot of math (algebra and calculus). See what I mean? You hate chemistry? That's all food is and you eat that every day! Food is also biology. Do you know how the food is broken down into molecules and how your body uses them? Take it from me, it is super interesting and everyone should know it. Learn to cook a little to understand chemical reactions. Did you know your heart has its own electrical system that is based on the passing of electrons between four main chemical elements? Your heart makes sparks Without your brain telling it to! That's amazing! I think you get the point.
  2. At the risk of sounding like an old lady, you don't know how good you have it. What I wouldn't have given for the internet at your age! Not all teachers are good at what they do. Often, there can be the or four ways of reaching the same conclusion, but the instructor only shows you one or two. If you feel that your teacher fell short of actually doing a good job at teaching, turn to the internet. If you do not understand quadratic equations, you can go to the Khan Academy (an amazing free education resource) and discover a new way of solving them. You can watch the videos over and over again. One thing about biology is that I did not really understand how cells worked. The descriptions in books and coloring stupid cross sections of cells did not really help. What do you mean molecules move across the cell wall? Like magic? Ugh. Youtube could have been a savior. The point is, don't just rely on the teacher to teach you. Or the books, to be honest. Facts are facts no matter where you get them. It is perfectly acceptable to teach yourself if you do not feel like you are getting what you need out of school itself. Get creative.
  3. Don't get mired in the details. I did not understand the idiom "not seeing the forest for the trees" until I became an adult. Sometimes Aspies can be so detail oriented that it is hard to take all the little components of a subject (the trees) and put them together to understand the larger issue (the forest). Again, turn to the internet. If you are studying World War I in class, but don't understand how the assassination of Arch Duke Ferdinand in Spain could cause millions of Americans to die in European battlefields, there is a five minute youtube video for that. If you feel lost, find a higher level overview of the subject and then break it down from there.
  4. Find your strengths, and work around your weaknesses. Rote memorization is hard for me, but inferring information based on processes helps me remember things that might not normally stick. For that reason, my life's motto is "Why?" The question "why?" inevitably leads you to move backwards to discover the root of things, creating a chainlink of information. Moving along that chain of cause and effect really improves my long term memory. Additionally, it is inevitable that I will find something along that chain that actually interests me, even if what I *need* to learn doesn't. (A word of caution. Using this technique could lead you into a rabbit hole of useless but interesting discovery. Kepp an eye on this so that you do not lose track of what you actually need to learn. You can go back and dig deeper after you have finished studying.)
  5. Find a focus for college, and, like one person suggested, be open to the idea that what you want out of life is not in college at all. What do you want to study in college, or do later in life? I am sure that you can relate several of your classes in high school to what you want to study later. This could help you gain more focus, a particular problem for me, while also feeling like what you are forced to learn may actually be useful in the future. This might motivate you to do well in school even if you don't "want" to.
  6. Lastly, be honest. If you do not understand something or could use some help, ask. You may feel uncomfortable asking your peers or your parents or your family. I know I was. I did not want to feel dumb or teased or talked about behind my back. Go to the professionals: your teachers or resource managers. The formal structure of that relationship may make it more comfortable for you to approach them. As a professional, there are certain relationship standards (think doctors, lawyers, psychologists) and practices that do not give them the luxury of personal ridicule. The whole point of their professions is that people need help, so your struggle is expected.

If my motto is "Why?" then my mantra is "Life doesn't have to be this hard." It doesn't. Really. But you have to find ways to make it easier on yourself. You will have to meet life's expectations, but you do not necessarily have to approach life the same way everyone else does. Find what works for you.

I hope that somewhere in this incredibly long and detailed list you can find some strategies that help you be successful. You know you are smart. Now prove it to the world.

Developing strong strategies now will be invaluable in helping you understand the world around you and effectively communicate with NTs so that they can understand you, too. Life is hard enough without being aspie. High school is your training ground. Use it to it's fullest potential.

New Threads

Top Bottom