• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

I might need a new phone soon. Can anyone recommend a good Android?

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Topic.

I had a look at the Google Pixel 2 online the other day and they're going for £549 SIM free, I don't have that kind of loot and neither does me Dad.

I'm just short of half way through a SIM contract with Virgin for £12 a month for 1500 minutes, 9 Gig data and unlimited texts, I can't afford to buy out the rest of my contract so I need a SIM free phone so I can put the Virgin SIM back in.

So anyway, I've been doing some research on Google and I've seen some nice but expensive phones on eBay, can anyone recommend a good Android phone, ideally with a good camera and plenty of storage?

I need a new phone soon, too, but I can't afford one. The one I have has lasted over 6 years.

I need a new phone soon, too, but I can't afford one. The one I have has lasted over 6 years.

What phone is it? And how much was it SIM free?

Need more info, I have a Motorola Nexus 6P at the moment, had it since my Brother and my Dad bought it for my birthday nearly 2 years ago.

Maybe look at getting a second hand one. I bought mine (Samsung Galaxy S6) from Game for £250, unlocked to any network. Game also provide a years warranty and second hand phones are usually of very good condition and far cheaper than a new one.

What phone is it?
It's a Samsung Galaxy, model GT-S5839i.
And how much was it SIM free?
I don't understand this question. It's not on a contract, if that's what you mean. I can use whatever SIM I want.
I'm not sure why you need to know the model - curiosity, I assume? I just replied to the thread because I am in a similar position to you in that I will soon need to replace my phone, because I'm having some issues with it.

Maybe look at getting a second hand one. I bought mine (Samsung Galaxy S6) from Game for £250, unlocked to any network. Game also provide a years warranty and second hand phones are usually of very good condition and far cheaper than a new one.

Thanks, that MIGHT be an option.

Not a Samsung Galaxy though, I've had 2 of those, an S2 and an S3, and I didn't rate either of them to be honest.

@Progster SIM free means unlocked to any Network, means you can put any Network's SIM (can't remember what that stands for) card into the phone and it'll work.

I might have a look in Game when we come back off Holiday next week.

Last edited:
Thanks, that MIGHT be an option.

Not a Samsung Galaxy though, I've had 2 of those, an S2 and an S3, and I didn't rate either of them to be honest.

Game usually have a very good selection of Android phones. I would never buy a brand new phone now, having had my last two second hand from Game. The prices for them new are just ridiculous.

Bought one from here a few months ago, they also have an ebay store:

Welcome to Second-Hand Phones

The pre-predecessors to the google pixel are :
  • Nexus 5 (This is the one I got)
  • Nexus 6
  • LG G4
  • Google pixel 1
All brilliant phones, very similar setup to the pixel 2.

Bought one from here a few months ago, they also have an ebay store:

Welcome to Second-Hand Phones

The pre-predecessors to the google pixel are :
  • Nexus 5 (This is the one I got)
  • Nexus 6
  • LG G4
  • Google pixel 1
All brilliant phones, very similar setup to the pixel 2.

I have a Nexus 6 now.

I am awaiting a discussion with my family this weekend about the possibility of looking into a new phone, I'll pass on your suggestions.

@Progster I think I used to have that Samsung Galaxy a few years back, was an S2 in black as I recall, was a nice little phone but being new to Smart phones at the time I couldn't get on with the Android OS, I now prefer it over IOS, better battery life and more apps and stuff.

I have a Nexus 6 now.

I am awaiting a discussion with my family this weekend about the possibility of looking into a new phone, I'll pass on your suggestions.

@Progster I think I used to have that Samsung Galaxy a few years back, was an S2 in black as I recall, was a nice little phone but being new to Smart phones at the time I couldn't get on with the Android OS, I now prefer it over IOS, better battery life and more apps and stuff.
Yes, the battery is still going strong after 6 years.

's a Samsung Galaxy, model GT-S5839i.

The model of Galaxy that @Progster mentioned is the Samsung Galaxy Ace.

I used to always have Apple smartphones, but eventually made the move quite a few years back from iOS to Android and would never go back. I used to have the S4, which wasn't great (even someone at the Samsung shop admitted the S3 was great and the S5 but for some reason the S4 lost it's way) but the S6 I have now is brilliant, as was the J5 I used to have.

The model of Galaxy that @Progster mentioned is the Samsung Galaxy Ace.

I used to always have Apple smartphones, but eventually made the move quite a few years back from iOS to Android and would never go back. I used to have the S4, which wasn't great (even someone at the Samsung shop admitted the S3 was great and the S5 but for some reason the S4 lost it's way) but the S6 I have now is brilliant, as was the J5 I used to have.

Sorry but I just don't rate Samsung phones, their TVs aren't much cop either IMO.

As for Apple, I had an Iphone 3G about 10 years ago, nice little phone, and I loved downloading songs and old children's TV episodes from ITunes.

Hi Rich,

I had three iPhones in a row and liked them, but "ideologically" I really wanted to go Android (I'm also a Linux guy). I now have a fairly cheap smartphone (Honor 8 Lite, made by Huawei) but I was very impressed with how well it performs. Much better than the price suggests. Might be worth it to look into Huawei.

ON a related note, if I was to trade in my current phone towards a new one, how much would a used Nexus 6 be worth?

Last edited:
ON a related note, if I was to trade in m current phone towards a new one, how much would a used Nexus 6 be worth?

Depends on where you trade it in. Game may take it but you have to go in store, CeX also take phones and their website gives how much they buy for in cash and credit. Alternatively websites like Music Magpie and Mazuma Mobile will give you prices.

My Brother was telling me last night that come November this year, "some" Android phones will no longer be supported with updates etc, so if you have an Android phone, you might be well advised to shop around for a new phone in the coming months.

Information on this will be available on Google.

Personally, I might be getting a Moto G6 I think, my Brother was telling me about it last week, comes out some time in May and will be about half the price of the Google Pixel 2 for a better spec phone.

Last edited:
My Brother was telling me last night that come November this year, Android will no longer be supported with updates etc, so if you have an Android device, you might be well advised to shop around for a new device in the coming months.

Information on this will be available on Google.

Nope. There's no information on Google about this because it's false.

While you could have a certain model of phone that will no longer be updated to the next version of Android (so if you have an older model, it could be that it isn't going to be getting Android 8.0 Oreo) there is literally no way that every Android device in the world won't ever be updated again. Samsung have just released the Galaxy 9 and Google the Pixel 2...both of which run Android. Phones that run Android make far too much money for all updates and support to just stop. I'm pretty sure this would be a huge news story if it were true.

My Brother doesn't tell lies.

I have a Google Nexus 6 right now, and he says Google phones will not be supported post November.

Then your brother is mistaken. Google may no longer support your phone past November, but they will keep supporting their newer phones. Google have pledged to keep providing updates for the Pixel 2 for 3 years after it's release.

You can choose to not believe it all you like.

New Threads

Top Bottom